gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:53:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Surfer Girl - 40 (69%)
Little Deuce Coupe - 18 (31%)
Total Voters: 52

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #13: Surfer Girl vs. Little Deuce Coupe  (Read 10425 times)
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 08:40:57 AM »

Not attackin' anyone, but I can't follow the whole "Surfer Girl and All Summer Long are their best early albums" or "best pre-Today" shtuff. Sonically different and maybe not quite as "mature" (PFFF), but those two rank right up there with all their other best albums, for me.
I'd put them a notch below at least Today!, Pet Sounds, Sunflower, and Holland (and the Smile sessions), but I'd say they're have comparable quality to some of the other albums in the 1965-1973 period.  They're albums that I really like even if they don't quite get to the level of my favourites where nearly every track blows me away.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 09:49:09 AM »

This is a case where a track-by-track comparison doesn't seem quite fair, as Little Deuce Coupe takes two of the best tracks from Surfer Girl and one of the best from Surfin' U.S.A.Little Deuce Coupe also has a number of songs have superior alternate versions ("Pamela Jean" for "Car Crazy Cutie," the single version of "Be True to Your School," and I prefer the original lyrics of "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" to "A Young Man's Gone").

In spite of what I just wrote, I will still go with Little Deuce Coupe because I think that its new album tracks are not only excellent, but also demonstrate growth in Brian's abilities as a producer.  I love "The Ballad of Ole Betsy" (even though I've seen lots of people slamming its inclusion on the recent tour) and "Cherry Cherry Coupe" and "Custom Machine" are also both wonderful.  Some of the album tracks on Surfer Girl are also quite strong ("Catch a Wave," "The Surfer Moon," "Our Car Club") but others are not ("South Bay Surfer," "Surfers Rule").
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »

Though I love all of the songs on LDC (and Cherry Cherry Coupe has become one of my favorite songs), Surfer Girl is my choice.

Brian now becomes the producer - and this album shows what a brilliant producer he is.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »

Brian now becomes the producer - and this album shows what a brilliant producer he is.
Definitely. Just listen to "Surfer Girl", "The Surfer Moon" and "In My Room"... brilliant. Timeless production.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 02:16:00 AM »

Surfer Girl, Hands Down!

Love a majority of the songs, with only one exceptionally awful song (Do I really need to say what it is?)
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 09:10:39 AM »

These earlier albums are so hard for me. They are just TOO similar.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx