gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680715 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 01:39:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tony Visconti On Wild Honey  (Read 7769 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:46:11 AM »

http://thequietus.com/articles/10534-tony-visconti-favourite-albums?page=1

This site just put up a piece where famed producer Tony Visconti discusses, at considerable length, his 13 favorite albums.

http://thequietus.com/articles/10534-tony-visconti-favourite-albums?page=3

concerns WH, and he has, in my view, some highly perceptive things to say about it.  And what he says about the other dozen records (Revolver, Joni Mitchell's Blue, Blonde On Blonde, Robert Johnson's Complete, Sunshine Superman, Dr John's In The Right Place, Philip Glass's Songs From Liquid Days, Best Of Spike Jones, Les Paul & Mary Ford, Incredible String Band's 5000 Spirits, Le Mystere de Voix Bulgares, and....XTC's Mummer!) is well worth reading too, not least since he mentions the BB's a couple times more.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »

Great, great stuff, thanks for sharing. His thoughts on WH really show the difference between UK and US perspectives on the band and this era of their music. Visconti has always been one of my favorite producers, and I think any Bowie album without his involvement suffers accordingly.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:04:33 AM »

Interesting choices. Tony Visconti also produced one of my favorite Sparks' albums, the underrated Indiscreet.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 10:08:46 AM »

Really cool to read, thanks for that. Robert Christgau once published a piece where Wild Honey ranked in his top ten all-time albums. Any other high industry praise for Wild Honey? I may collate this stuff and add it to the wiki page tomorrow.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »

Jim Morrison loved it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 10:24:32 AM »

"Especially with a track called ‘Here Comes The Night’. I can play that 10 times today and I wouldn’t get bored with it."

Never hearda Tony Visconti, but he's sure on the money with that statement!

Also, this is the first I've ever read that "Brian's music to cool out by" was the Beach Boys' answer to Revolver.

I always liked Paul Williams' (Crawdaddy) assessment of the Wild Honey album.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 10:54:18 AM »

Visconti's reference to Revolver when talking about WH raises an interesting point. Usually, the conventional wisdom about Beatles/BBs goes: Brian hears (the US) Rubber Soul, he answers it with Pet Sounds, he takes it up to the next level and begins Smile, Sgt Pepper freaks him out and he abandons Smile. Which, as we all know, is not exactly how the chronology played out, especially on the Smile side.  But this leaves out Revolver.

Mr. Desper would be the person to really ask about this, but I have to wonder whether, if only in a kind of subconscious way (keep in mind that a year separates Revolver and WH and back in those days that was practically a century in pop years), WH was Brian's putting into practice concepts of production that arose in his head from listening to Rubber Soul and Revolver. (Of course, WH's production was credited to the BBs as a whole but the first credits assembled before release had Brian as lone producer and I suppose it's safe to say his role in the production was biggest, followed by - would it have been Carl?)

The most obvious difference between the two records is that Revolver moves, track by track, in a huge variety of directions - from PS pastiche to raga-flavored to goofy singalong to the chaos of Tomorrow Never Knows. (And, as we learned in the 1990s, TNK itself evolved in all kinds of wild directions before the released version - for example, going into an area which sounds like a direct path to house music, another that anticipated electronica.)  Whereas WH, though it has a lot of variety too, has a pretty consistent production and arrangement style from start to finish, apart from the last track.

But Visconti's point about the absence of reverb is a useful one.  The first Beatles albums, like all of British pop back then, had heavy echo and reverb. Starting in 1964, step by step, the Fabs and George Martin stopped using it all the time, and employed it much more carefully and strategically. By Revolver this process was complete.  Under Spector's influence Brian laid on the echo and reverb, layer after layer, then took it out on most of SS - so that WH completed the process. (Pepper had more than its share of echo and reverb here and there, and so did Magical Mystery Tour - but the White Album went back, generally, to a more unadorned sound.)

This whole business, really, would make a good subject for that class in BBs studies going on at Indiana University.  They could easily put in an hour or two looking at it - playing tracks for comparison, maybe Skyping with Mr D.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:10:02 AM by rn57 » Logged
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »

Thinking about the echo & reverb thing some more - I start to wonder whether a direct line can be traced from some aspects of the Revolver sound to the Smile sessions.  PS is pretty consistent when it comes to using e&r.  In much of Smile e&r are absent. Smile, both as it stands and as it appears to have been designed, is all about very dramatic contrasts and a thoroughly eclectic musical approach, like Revolver. But the engineering approach in Revolver is one that doesn't vary much.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »

As has been mentioned elsewhere on this board, Jeff Lynne did a 13 fave albums for thequietus.com a few weeks back, and PS was one of them. He also had Revolver in his list and talked about how its "punchy" sound had made a big impact on him when he heard it. "Punchy," certainly, is as apt a description of WH's overall sound as any.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 12:46:33 PM »

Mr. Desper would be the person to really ask about this, but I have to wonder whether, if only in a kind of subconscious way (keep in mind that a year separates Revolver and WH and back in those days that was practically a century in pop years), WH was Brian's putting into practice concepts of production that arose in his head from listening to Rubber Soul and Revolver.

I was unaware that SWD had anything at all to do with the recording of Wild Honey - care to enlighten me ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 12:55:24 PM »

This site just put up a piece where famed producer Tony Visconti discusses, at considerable length, his 13 favorite albums.

concerns WH, and he has, in my view, some highly perceptive things to say about it.  

Sorry, but his opening gambit of "I’m not sure which came first (Wild Honey or Revolver) but I know they followed each other closely..." invalidates much of what he has to say, in my view. He's preaching from a pulpit of ignorance.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:56:50 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »

I don't mean to be a jerk, but sometimes I wish AGD would discuss the music more rather than correct small facts. Vosconit's piece was about the actual music and the meaning it has to him, which could include some factual inaccuracies. He's not writing a biography, man.
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 01:07:24 PM »

Wild Honey is drenched in reverb because Tony Visconti doesn't know when it came out.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »

While I fail to understand the 'Revolver' connection (musically or historically -- especially since this came out after 'Smiley' and  Sgt. Pepper'), it's nice to see him praising it.

To me, 'Wild Honey' (sometimes my favorite album) is really like a psychedelic bubble-gum album.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »

concerns WH, and he has, in my view, some highly perceptive things to say about it.  

Sorry, but his opening gambit of "I’m not sure which came first (Wild Honey or Revolver) but I know they followed each other closely..." invalidates much of what he has to say, in my view. He's preaching from a pulpit of ignorance.

from the quotes on tour it would seem The Beach Boys themselves have little idea exactly when they recorded stuff. These ancient musicians/producers are not neccessarily great internet users and thus feed their info from memory than anything else.
MBE
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »

Mr. Desper would be the person to really ask about this, but I have to wonder whether, if only in a kind of subconscious way (keep in mind that a year separates Revolver and WH and back in those days that was practically a century in pop years), WH was Brian's putting into practice concepts of production that arose in his head from listening to Rubber Soul and Revolver.

I was unaware that SWD had anything at all to do with the recording of Wild Honey - care to enlighten me ?
He was assisting Jim Lockhart for Smiley and Wild Honey. He goes into it in my book.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »

I can kind of hear The Revolver connection. "Got to Get You into My Life"  is like a cousin to some of the songs on Wild Honey, and "Mama Says" is about as weird of a closer as "Tomorrow Never Knows", and says a great deal about the differing approaches the two bands took to psychedelia.  "Good Day Sunshine" and "Country Air" have very similar sentiments, too, as well as a piano dominated sound. "I'm Only Sleeping" is an acoustic slice of life song, kind of like "I'd Love Just Once to See You". Oh, and we have the Beatles sort of copying the Beach Boys harmonic vocal approach on "Here, There, and Everywhere".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 01:58:45 PM »

Yeah, Steve Desper didn't start working on Beach Boys albums and singles until 1968.  "Stack-O-Tracks" and "Do It Again".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 02:07:42 PM »

He was assisting Jim Lockhart for Smiley and Wild Honey. He goes into it in my book.

Can you post that section here?  ( great promo for the book, dontchathink?)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »

Thanks for the link rn57, interesting reading and nice to see WH get recognition.

I must admit I did a double take at the revolver/WH comment but for a non BB mega fan it's not the biggest error.

Love on a Farmboy's Wages is a fantastic track but Mummer is one of my least favourite XTC LPs alongside Go2.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »

Right, the story is that Steve filled in discreetly when Jimmy was out sick, which apparently was often--he was battling some major health issues.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 02:28:28 PM »

I don't mean to be a jerk, but sometimes I wish AGD would discuss the music more rather than correct small facts. Vosconit's piece was about the actual music and the meaning it has to him, which could include some factual inaccuracies. He's not writing a biography, man.

Au contraire, Pierre. I really like the small facts (minutiae). It's enlightening and fun. Of course I'm a Quality Assurance Engineer, so maybe that's why I appreciate the factual accuracies and attention to detail. Plus, reading AGD's posts has enabled me to be much more of a knowledgeable Beach Boys fan over the years.

AGD's an author on The Beach Boys and other artists. There are very few on this board who possess the knowledge that Andrew Doe has regarding The Beach Boys. I believe that fact validates Andrew as a critic of other writers' work. As far as I'm concerned, he's allowed to correct people here because he's the purveyor of truth. Consider his contributions to this board helpful and insightful instead of questioning why his input here leans more to getting the facts straight than his musical tastes.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 02:36:19 PM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »

Right, the story is that Steve filled in discreetly when Jimmy was out sick, which apparently was often--he was battling some major health issues.

I remember reading that too (Recording Sessions book or on one of the boards), but don't ever remember him mentioning the Wild Honey album by name. He's mentioned more than once that is first foray into recording with the Beach Boys was with Carl Wilson and the tapes for Stack-o-Tracks. And the infamous Do It Again recording and the subsequent master tape of the song rolling off the back of his Corvette into Benedict Canyon.   Grin
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 02:46:17 PM by Mikie » Logged

BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »

I must admit I did a double take at the revolver/WH comment but for a non BB mega fan it's not the biggest error.

Yep, some people have lives...lives in which they've produced a fuckload of awesome records, rather than being incredibly unpleasant to people who misremember tiny details on a Beach Boys forum.  LOL

I thought it was an interesting interview. Revolver has had too much praise heaped on it over the years (songwriting really not up to much imnsho), whereas Wild Honey has had too little, so it's interesting to read a perspective of someone who was around at the time, working in the business etc.

*off topic* really been digging 'Earth Song/Ocean Song' by Mary Hopkin recently- produced by Visconti, who was married to her at the time, I believe, and a lovely record. Lots of cracking phased strings etc.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 03:01:21 PM »

When I referred to SWD and WH what I had in mind was something I read eons ago, don't remember where or when, that said he was "present" at the WH sessions.  That's the word I remembered I hadn't thought he had actually put hand to knob. I'd be interested to see what he says in Mike's book about this time.

I'd say that some WH songs have a fair similarity in structure and arrangement with some Revolver tracks, and Country Air does sorta tie in with Good Day Sunshine that way.  Got To Get You Into My Life is an interesting tune to talk about as well in connection with WH. It's obviously soul-based and Paul's vocal seems to owe something to Georgie Fame (not very well-known in the US, but a pivotal figure in the intersection of rock, soul and jazz in the UK).  

But GTGYIML also has those big, beefy horns.  The closest white equivalent to that sound here would be John Fred & the Playboy Band or Bill Deal & the Rhondels. One very interesting thing about WH is that it has a feel, building on bass, keyboards, rhythm guitar that makes it lean slightly more toward the funk side of things, rather than the kind of soul epitomized by Stax. That was another respect in which it was way ahead of its time.

(But not so ahead of its time that it didn't crack the US Top 40, a major recovery after SS's chart performance, and get into the Top 20 singles with Darlin'. I've sometimes wondered what would have been the commercial performance of a followup to WH that built on its overall style, and how that might have altered the subsequent course of the band's history.)

If Revolver can be said to have influenced WH (though, as I said, my guess is that Brian by the time it was recorded probably would not have been thinking consciously about it as a reference point), then the influence of WH on Paul McCartney's subsequent work is worth pondering. Quite a few Wings songs have a rhythmic and melodic feel similar to WH.

Looking at the rest of Visconti's discussion - yeah, he does get chronology a little muddled. (But I'm sure the most glaring mistake - getting Robin Williamson's first name wrong - was the fault of whoever transcribed the interview.)  He talks about Joni Mitchell's Blue as if it had an impact on the acoustic T Rex stuff, but he must be thinking about the first JM album - by the time Blue came out Bolan was working on Electric Warrior.

(Speaking of that album, though, reminds of the opening to some old Brian interview - may have been in Musician magazine.  Before getting the chat underway, he calls to somebody, "Put on Blue!" The article's writer thought, at first, that Brian was talking about the Mitchell album, but of course he meant - yep, Wayne - "the Rhapsody.")
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx