gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:41:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phil Spector Interview (Merv Griffin Show 1965)  (Read 19362 times)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2012, 09:29:08 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSSs20AYS0o&feature=share&list=LPaY3hWhXYhCU

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:47:18 PM »

Damn, I knew he was on TV in the 60's, but you just can't find the stuff... like it never happened or something. Thanks for finding.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 10:15:20 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:07:12 PM »

Finally some visual evidence for Spector the pseudo celebrity that I've read so much about . He's A Rebel, Tearing Down The Wall Of Sound, seemingly every article ever published on the man would reference these TV appearances, and I could never get my hands on one of  'em, except the I Dream  Of Jeanie appearance, which was  not interesting. To be honest this interview is making me uncomfortable. It's the same kind of weird joking around you hear over the talkback on the session tapes, but weirder. Seeing/hearing him in the context of non-musicians is a disturbing experience.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:08:25 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:37:19 PM »

What an unpleasant weirdo.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 11:07:43 PM »

Definitely interesting. Phil's not much of a charmer, though.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
halblaineisgood
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 11:24:21 PM »

Definitely interesting. Phil's not much of a charmer, though.
yup.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:46:37 PM »

Is it just me, or........ Adam Sandler much?  Shocked
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 12:38:50 AM »

Is it just me, or........ Adam Sandler much?  Shocked

Now that you mentioned, yeah! Same guy! Just as funny!

I don't know if he was just nervous, not being that used to tv-performances... Maybe striving for John Lennon -type witty banter, but falling painfully short. Or then that's just the way he is.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:41:00 AM by Jukka » Logged

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 12:40:31 AM »

Is it just me, or........ Adam Sandler much?  Shocked

Now that you mentioned, yeah! Same guy! Just as funny!
The voice, the mannerisms.....
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:29 AM »

Al Pachino is going to make an interesting Phil Spector, that's for sure

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 01:06:18 AM »

Another incredibly talented but messed up person. Hard to believe he's going to die in prison

"Good Vibrations was an edit record"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 01:54:58 AM »

Another incredibly talented but messed up person. Hard to believe he's going to die in prison

"Good Vibrations was an edit record"

According to Wikipedia, he can get parole when he's 88 years old. There is a chance he lives that long. But still, I feel sorry for the guy. I know, if he killed that woman, he of course deserves every minute of prison time he got, but... As Sting once said when talking about "I Hung My Head", there are no accidents with guns. Knowing his history, it's more of a wonder he didn't off somebody already decades ago. So sad and frustrating. The creator of "Be My Baby" would have deserved a happier life, yet he still has only himself to blame.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 03:34:38 AM »

The Beach Boys were on Merv in 1968 but it hasn't been seen since.  I wonder if the tape will now surface-looks like the Griffin estate is now releasing all the archives.  They also appeared in early 1982 (taped in late 81) and that clip is/or was on Youtube.  Has them doing a lip-synch medley (minus Carl)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 03:59:36 AM »

Well I personally found that quite comedic...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 05:53:05 AM »

I find Phil's humor somewhat funny, but I feel like he tried too hard making up his persona.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 05:56:55 AM »

I find Phil's humor somewhat funny, but I feel like he tried too hard making up his persona.

So true. But even if he came across as a bit of a twat, he still is verbally quite witty and fast. I mean, before this, I had only heard him speak (or croak) in some documentaries filmed in the 2000's... And of course Lennon session tapes, where everyone involved is acting out a bit.

Boy, I would give my left Converse shoe to hear the Ramones session tapes with Phil Spector. There must have been some interesting exchanges going on.

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 07:31:02 AM »

This is great. He's realllllly antagonistic and arrogant. Looks like he's always been that way!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 08:15:26 AM »

The Beach Boys were on Merv in 1968 but it hasn't been seen since.  I wonder if the tape will now surface-looks like the Griffin estate is now releasing all the archives.  They also appeared in early 1982 (taped in late 81) and that clip is/or was on Youtube.  Has them doing a lip-synch medley (minus Carl)

The archives for Merv Griffin's show have been available for licensing for a handful of years, but it's not something the average person or fan can contact them with and ask to buy a certain episode or clip on demand. If you are, say, a network TV show and want to use a clip of a certain celeb, there is an entertainment agency that handles the requests and will go through the legal means to license the clip.

I think many of the Mike Douglas shows are also available this way, but I do believe a majority of Merv Griffin's run on television was archived and saved on video, unlike, say, the Johnny Carson or Joey Bishop shows which were mostly lost.

This begs the question, for those in an official capacity who are in a position to license such clips, why have we not seen items such as those mentioned from the Griffin show, or the ones which were listed as available from Griffin's or Douglas' official libraries? Is it a financial reason, or are the legal issues too big to just license and release the clips through some kind of a Beach Boys archival deal for the fans? Because the clips are there, as far as we can tell, unless the specific Beach Boys content is not part of the archive.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 08:27:41 AM »

He sounds like Blake Clark

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 08:37:55 AM »

This was a semi-common thing especially around certain music biz types (several producers) at that specific time. There seemed to be an entire scene built around acting cool if not outright cold, detached, silent to those who weren't on your "level", and sarcastic to an annoying degree...and of course you'd need to wear shades indoors to maintain the cool detachment.

I relate that theory because there is a full page or so in a Nik Cohn book about seeing Lou Adler and Johnny Rivers hanging out somewhere at the same time of this Spector appearance, hiding behind sunglasses and seeing them give that exact image and persona to those in their company, where they were trying to project a hipness and a cool detachment to the point of being ridiculous. Grunting answers, acting detached, ignoring people, all of that fun hip stuff.

Scan through any number of rock bios or histories and you'll find a few of these hip producer and music insider types who acted the same way Spector was seen as acting in the video. It was an act.

In some ways it makes his "Easy Rider" cameo more relevant... Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 10:28:03 AM »

Phil has an odd manner of communicating, but he is, or was, quite a genius, with a lot to communicate about music. His "blindfold" segment on the KHJ History Of Rock And Roll radio series still blows my mind, especially what he says about the Four Tops' Reach Out I'll Be There.
Also, when I met him, he was quite friendly, and willing to include a newcomer into his circle, for a friend of another trusted friend.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »

This was a semi-common thing especially around certain music biz types (several producers) at that specific time. There seemed to be an entire scene built around acting cool if not outright cold, detached, silent to those who weren't on your "level", and sarcastic to an annoying degree...and of course you'd need to wear shades indoors to maintain the cool detachment.

I relate that theory because there is a full page or so in a Nik Cohn book about seeing Lou Adler and Johnny Rivers hanging out somewhere at the same time of this Spector appearance, hiding behind sunglasses and seeing them give that exact image and persona to those in their company, where they were trying to project a hipness and a cool detachment to the point of being ridiculous. Grunting answers, acting detached, ignoring people, all of that fun hip stuff.

Scan through any number of rock bios or histories and you'll find a few of these hip producer and music insider types who acted the same way Spector was seen as acting in the video. It was an act.

In some ways it makes his "Easy Rider" cameo more relevant... Cheesy
That information explains Phil's behavior in this video, he was totally playing that role of the "elite" hitmaker to everybody in the room.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »

Phil has an odd manner of communicating, but he is, or was, quite a genius, with a lot to communicate about music. His "blindfold" segment on the KHJ History Of Rock And Roll radio series still blows my mind, especially what he says about the Four Tops' Reach Out I'll Be There.
Also, when I met him, he was quite friendly, and willing to include a newcomer into his circle, for a friend of another trusted friend.
How was Phil's behavior and personality like when he wasn't in "Phil Spector: Rock and Roll Rebel" mode?

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 10:43:52 AM »

Glad he didn't shoot you in the face.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 10:54:53 AM »

Hey, I didn't say Phil didn't deserve to die in jail, he does.
Phil, when he didn't have his chip-on-shoulder resentment-at-the-world pseudo-jazz slur on, was a nice, understandable guy. You can see that Phil in the interview captured in the Living In The Material World documentary on George Harrison.
The thing with Phil is, his anger comes from the same source as his music, it is a very punk rock thing, a rise from the bottom of the social food chain. His genius, as with so many people in rock and roll, comes out of personality dysfunction, or develops in that way. Compare that to Brian Wilson, who was a football player dating the prettiest cheerleaders and heading out for root beer runs. Brian Wilson's social class (tho not him specifically, of course, he was too good of a guy) are the type who probably beat up Phil in school. Some of the resentment people like Phil and Zappa had about Brian Wilson comes from that, the outsider's natural resentment of the Big Man On Campus. People see Brian as an outsider now, but he wasn't then, he was the Class President.
As far as Phil's attitude in that clip, he comes off as jive. Dylan did that stance way better, he had the act down pat and never lost his cool.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx