gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:26:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would like some advice on the new remasters  (Read 1973 times)
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »

I have already ordered Smiley Smile ( one of my favorite BB albums....... can't wait to hear it with the ear buds)  What is the general consensus on which I should order next. Summer Days? Is Pet Sounds improved?  I can't think of a better way to get the lowdown than from you guys.
 So could some of you list your top 4 in order of preference
By the way..... I own all the greatest hits and Hawthorne and  the Pet Sounds box set.

johnschaeffer.net
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:58:17 AM by beatnickle » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »

Get Summer Days next.

All Summer Long in mono rules.

All the early mono's rule.

If you already got the Pet Sounds box the new edition should be last on your list.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:39:57 PM »

If you like the Party! album, I'd say that offers a better stereo remix on the whole than Today or Summer Days.

In terms of the remixes, I think I prefer Today! over Summer Days. Both essential, but both a bit dodgy.

All Summer Long is a good one to grab.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 04:14:46 PM »

If you already have Pet Sounds, I wouldn't bother with this one, I hate to say. If you really are looking for an upgrade, for the stereo version of the album, the MFSL is a really solid edition aside from using the "restored" version of "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" There are very likely better sources for the mono, too, as the new one seems to use the remixed intros on some songs.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:16:17 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:00:50 AM »

Thanks for the input........ how I wish Wild Honey was included in these new releases

johnschaeffer.net
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 02:30:26 PM »

I agree with pretty much what's been said here.  Go ahead and get Today and Summer Days; I think they are essential.  Just don't get your hopes up that you will be completely blown away by the stereo mixes.  They range from just ok to pretty damn good, especially on Today.  I'm sure it's just the nature of the multitracks.  The monos sound pretty good too.  A lot less muddy than the twofers.

I'd also recommend Sunflower.  It sounds much cleaner and distinct than the twofer.  It's my understanding that they used a better master for it.  I don't have Surf's Up, but I assume it's similar in quality.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 02:42:19 AM »

This maybe just me, but I really wouldn't listen to the remixes on cans. MUCH better over the speakers.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:26:59 AM »

But if you actually want to hear any stereo separation in Today and Summer Days, make sure your speakers are wide apart and the music is cranked.  Even then you may not be able to tell some songs are in stereo, with a few notable exceptions.  Very narrow sound field.

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »

But if you actually want to hear any stereo separation in Today and Summer Days, make sure your speakers are wide apart and the music is cranked.  Even then you may not be able to tell some songs are in stereo, with a few notable exceptions.  Very narrow sound field.

Yeah, I just found this out today, listening in the car.  Maybe I need to drive with the doors open!  LOL
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 04:10:13 AM »

Too bad.  I much prefer a wide, balanced  stereo mix.
 johnschaeffer.net
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx