gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:27:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great Brian Soundalike Productions Of The Sixties  (Read 3411 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2006, 04:32:12 PM »

There have been dozens of obscure nods to Brian's production, arranging, and writing styles- Todd Rundgren with "Be Nice To Me", The Raspberries with "Baby, Let's Pretend", They Might Be Giants with "Birdhouse In Your Soul", the Dukes Of Stratosphear with "Pale And Precious"...add your favorites here.

But two from the sixties particularly stand out for excellence: one is obscure and the other is the mother of all obscure:

Lesley Gore's "What Am I Gonna Do With You"  and
Dobie Gray's "No Room To Cry"

Both from 1965, I think, and both capturing not only Brian's style, but the direction it was headed in from Today! onward.  Anyone else heard these two?  I'll upload them if someone tells me how (unfortunately, I'm also from 1965).

Also, what other nominees do we have in this category?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 07:30:58 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 05:56:45 PM »

"Time Will Tell" by Flash Cadillac & The Continental Kids.

It's from their "Sons Of The Beaches" album. The song is reminiscent of "Don't Worry Baby" meets "She Knows Me Too Well" meets "I Can Hear Music".  Good vocals and nice clear production. I'm not sure what year it was released. I have it on vinyl. I'm assuming it's available on CD - somewhere...
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 06:11:08 PM »

I found it easily on the Tower site and heard a sample- definitely a general Beach Boys knock off, but to me it specifically sounded like it went to school on "I Can Hear Music".

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 07:03:26 PM »

"Let's Pretend" is by the Raspberries, not the acals.
My fave BB knockoff is "Upholstery" from the Phantom Of The Paradise soundtrack.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 07:32:43 PM »

"Let's Pretend" is by the Raspberries, not the acals.
My fave BB knockoff is "Upholstery" from the Phantom Of The Paradise soundtrack.

Sorry, mistype. 

...not the acals.

Apparently it can happen to anyone.... LOL

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 07:55:11 PM »

Well, I'm no Dan Hill!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 09:02:08 PM »

I've found that if I hold a cross up to the monitor, the image you posted will disappear.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 02:10:18 PM »

I really would like to upload these two for comments  if anyone can tell me how- maybe I'll try to figure out yousendit.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Cabana Boy
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 11:23:08 AM »

SurferJoe:

Go to yousendit.
Enter your own email address.
Click "browse".
Select file.
Click "send it".
Retrieve link from yer email.
Post link.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 12:25:05 PM »

Thanks, Cabana Boy!  It was the "browse" part that threw me- I didn't take in that it meant browse my own files.  Try this, folks:

http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2J8UTBV8PCQUA3MG3ITFMT1YST

An amazing production from "Dobie Gray Sings for 'In' Crowders That Go-Go" (should be ..."Who Go-Go", but I'm not gonna quibble.)  The album release date is given as 1/1/65, can't vouch for that.  I also can't find a producer credit.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 01:21:36 PM »

Here's another little heard knock off I uploaded. http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2RO8CHT1U2HO105987ZQSCHK00 I have no info on the group, but I'm guessing that it's from very late '66 or '67 based on the band name- the Good Vibrations. I find it interesting from the standpoint that there were pockets of folks who weren't into following the cutting edge of late 60's musical development and still wanted some roll with their rock. From the accents I'm guessing these guys were from the midwest somewhere. Hope you enjoy- it's basically a pleasent enough rewrite of Dance, Dance, Dance.

Dean
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 03:28:19 PM »

The Good Vibrations-wow,  that's a discovery.  You summed the song up pretty well as  a straight-up knock-off of "Dance, Dance, Dance", but there's so much pastiche in there, including even a bit of "Little St. Nick", I think...they certainly went to school on Western #3.  Sounds like a radio commercial for a Quickie-Mart.

Wonder if they have any other stuff?

Comments on Dobie Gray would be interesting- there's another Brian-ized track I'll post if the interest is there (the Russ Titelman one).

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 08:44:49 AM »

SJ-

I checked out the track and it's a good one- I could hear a little bit of Brian in there, but to my ears I think overall the arrangement reminded me more of typical New York soul records of the era- Sue Records kind of stuff. I little bit rougher take on the mid- 60's Bacharach sides for folks like Dionne Warwick. There are many of the same instruments that Brian would have used, but not the kind of harmony against each other that Brian typically used- I'm thinking saxes specifically. It's played much straighter in my opinion.

Good track though!

Dean 
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 12:16:26 PM »

I can see that, vox- I thought there was some influence, particularly on the intro and the instrumentation (but definitely not on the backing vocals, as you say).  But it may almost have been too early at 1-1-65, since he wouldn't have heard Today! yet.  I'd love to know who wrote it, and who produced, or even where it was recorded.

It definitely evokes Brian to me rather than Spector, but sounds like Bacharach, too, now that you mention it, including the interesting melody-rhythm and percussion that's going on.

I'll post another one in a bit.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 12:26:42 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 03:03:51 PM »

Here's another one: Lesley Gore's "What Am I Gonna Do WIth You" (1965)- written by Russ Titelman and Gerry Goffin, apparently for the Chiffons in 1964, under the title "What Am I Gonna Do With You (Hey Baby)" though I haven't been able to reel in that version.   The song was covered later by Skeeter Davis and others.

This time you could say it's as much a Spector influence as Brian, especially since Jack Nitzsche arranged it.

http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D1CA23B51B6309E8

Comments welcome...

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 08:37:36 AM »

SJ-

The harpsicord in the first verse is the total Brian Wilson thing- and a couple of chord changes too. Once the strings come in it gets more obscured. Although I wonder if Hal Blaine played drums on it- the drum fills are certainly Blainesque, and therefore by association, Brian-esque. I do hear more of a Spector thing in this, but the Righteous Bros. stuff, not the early 60's Ronettes et al "wall of sound"

Thanks for sharing!
Dean 
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 01:01:56 PM »

SJ-

The harpsicord in the first verse is the total Brian Wilson thing- and a couple of chord changes too. Once the strings come in it gets more obscured. Although I wonder if Hal Blaine played drums on it- the drum fills are certainly Blainesque, and therefore by association, Brian-esque. I do hear more of a Spector thing in this, but the Righteous Bros. stuff, not the early 60's Ronettes et al "wall of sound"

Thanks for sharing!
Dean 

Dean, got an alternate earlier take if you're interested.  Hal Blaine seems logical on a lot of levels but he had so many sounds I'm not good at picking him out.

One of the Brian-esque chord changes you mention, to me, is the brief, wordless pre-chorus used to get into the chorus- "woa-oh-h, guess I'm just the girl you stay with..."  Those little gracefully disguised transitions are a Brian hallmark to me, with "Don't Worry, Baby" as the ultimate example. "Rhonda" contains another example.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 01:06:34 PM »

It reminds me of the Ronettes' I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine, which was a later Spector production. I hear the Righteous Brothers sound, too.

Watch out for snakes!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 01:17:50 PM »

Definitely, yes.  Got that song on my computer- one of my favorites.  Agree on the RBs, too- it was a sound that was getting around, but with Nitzsche and Titelman, it was already in that circle.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx