gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 01:36:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Beach Boys "Classics" are.. 'Not to your taste?'  (Read 39510 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »

On a hunch, I feel that you have some sort of deeper bone to pick, maybe you think they're indulgent?

That's pretty close to the mark on how I feel about IJWMFFT. Too indulgent, bordering on whining.

The self-indulgence and sentiment of the lyrics are EXACTLY why it's one of my favorite songs of all time. I relate to that song so much, and I'm sure a lot of members here do to, although it's for a different reason than Asher/Wilson intended. Brian felt out of place in his time period, seemingly the man was ahead of his time - his ideas and thought processes on modular recordings alone testify to this. For myself, as long as I have been alive I have never felt quite 'with it' amongst my peers and today's society. I was obsessed with The Beatles and the 60s by the time I was 4. I've never stopped. I truly don't feel as if I was meant to be in this time period - I often feel kind of lost. It's a little messed up, and I don't let it get in the way of my life, but I feel like everyone I know is content to be living in the now, and I'm just not. So, when I really listened to the lyrics of that song for the first time, it just hit me in a totally different way than any other song had ever hit me. I felt that. Yeah, it's 'ego music'. I dig it.

Part of the genius of Pet Sounds is the way the music beautifully accompanies the lyrics - and on IJWMFTT they fit together so perfectly. It's another of many reasons why that song is such a knockout.

+111111111111111111111111

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »

The concept of personally "relating" to the lyrics of a song, as a positive or negative, is one major reason why true appreciation of a wide range of music is a thing of the past in most music circles. I don't "relate" to being a black blues musician in the 1920's being tormented by inner demons, but Robert Johnson is one of the greatest artists I have ever heard. The great artists can always make the feeling behind their music "relatable" on a purely emotional level.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2012, 07:39:14 PM »

The concept of personally "relating" to the lyrics of a song, as a positive or negative, is one major reason why true appreciation of a wide range of music is a thing of the past in most music circles. I don't "relate" to being a black blues musician in the 1920's being tormented by inner demons, but Robert Johnson is one of the greatest artists I have ever heard. The great artists can always make the feeling behind their music "relatable" on a purely emotional level.

Don't get me wrong - as I said earlier, I read the lyrics to "IJWMFTT" a few minutes before hearing the song, and it was much more the music, the arrangement, the production, and the vocals that really drew me in. If there were ever a case to be made for a good example of putting a huge amount of "feeling" into their music that transcended lyrics, Brian would be one of the first people that would come to mind, for me. Smile is a great example, as I doubt most people who love "Heroes And Villains" (and other songs) have... y'know, been in the situation described in the lyrics. They're great lyrics that complement the song and experience well, don't get me wrong, but still, you know what I mean.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2012, 07:48:43 PM »

Don't get me wrong - as I said earlier, I read the lyrics to "IJWMFTT" a few minutes before hearing the song, and it was much more the music, the arrangement, the production, and the vocals that really drew me in. If there were ever a case to be made for a good example of putting a huge amount of "feeling" into their music that transcended lyrics, Brian would be one of the first people that would come to mind, for me. Smile is a great example, as I doubt most people who love "Heroes And Villains" (and other songs) have... y'know, been in the situation described in the lyrics. They're great lyrics that complement the song and experience well, don't get me wrong, but still, you know what I mean.

Oh yeah, absolutely, I knew what you meant. You're a righteous guy and I agree with at least 90% of your posts here.
I just hear that relatability thing so much in Beach Boys-land, usually by people who criticize Mike Love for saying the Smile lyrics weren't relatable.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2012, 10:38:23 AM »

okay, so Mike is pegged as this guy who wants all their songs to be about surfin' and hot roddin' and cruisin' and stuff. Well, how relatable are those things?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_aVYWYyMXk
"Hawaii" from The Lost Concert

How many of those kids in the audience have ever been in a drag race? exactly.

For me, I love to listen to music about things I can't relate to. It creates a whole new world in my mind.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2012, 10:48:39 AM »

If I only listened to songs about stuff I had personally experienced then my music collection would be a hell of a lot smaller.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2012, 11:47:35 AM »

I don't understand people's love of the In Concert version of "You Still Believe in Me". Sounds to me like Al can't hit those notes, it's an off-kilter (in a way not endearing) and paltry sounding rearrangement on an album where that is otherwise not so much a problem.

I think the same thing about "Don't Worry Baby," from that album.  The high notes sound very strained.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2012, 12:54:04 PM »

I don't understand people's love of the In Concert version of "You Still Believe in Me". Sounds to me like Al can't hit those notes, it's an off-kilter (in a way not endearing) and paltry sounding rearrangement on an album where that is otherwise not so much a problem.

I think the same thing about "Don't Worry Baby," from that album.  The high notes sound very strained.

there is like a billion more soul in that version than in the original studio version. It sounds far more genuine in Concert. Al is really singing the words there as if they were applying to his situation right at that moment. Very few artists manage to pull that off as well as Al did that night!
Sit badger, sit!
Smiley Smile Newbie

'Oh, wicked Fish,' the Youngest Badger cried.

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2012, 02:38:24 PM »

Sail on, sailor... I don't like that boat trip. I like the version without the vocals though.

'Oh, dear beyond our dearest dreams,
Fairer than all that fairest seems!
To feast the rosy hours away,
To revel in a roundelay!
How blest would be
A life so free -
Ipwergis-Pudding to consume,
And drink the subtle Azzigoom!
Transcendental Meditation
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2012, 03:03:23 PM »

A Day in the Life of a Tree

I hate the lead vocal.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2012, 09:13:59 AM »

there is like a billion more soul in that version than in the original studio version.

People like an Al Jardine live vocal more than one of Brian Wilson's greatest studio vocal performances. Whatever.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2012, 09:21:42 AM »

there is like a billion more soul in that version than in the original studio version. It sounds far more genuine in Concert. Al is really singing the words there as if they were applying to his situation right at that moment. Very few artists manage to pull that off as well as Al did that night!

I disagree so much. It's totally the opposite way. There is more emotion in Brian's vocal on the studio cut than almost any other song in the catalog. Forgetting that the lyrics can also be construed as a car song (it's really not), I hear so much truth in that studio vocal. It's not like he's a singer describing a situation of another fake world scenario, like he is with something like No Go Showboat - this is REAL. Brian puts himself into that song as a person and it shows so much. Just one of the most beautiful things ever.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2012, 04:38:46 PM »

It is funny that folks relate to I Just Wasn't Made For These Times because they love the 60's, when Brian wrote it about not relating to the 60's.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »

It is funny that folks relate to I Just Wasn't Made For These Times because they love the 60's, when Brian wrote it about not relating to the 60's.

See my post - I totally get that. I relate to it for the reverse emotion Brian was feeling. But if it hits you in that way, and you realise the original intent of the song regardless, what does it matter? It makes me feel a certain way and that satisfies me.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
halblaineisgood
« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2012, 06:29:58 PM »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:34:08 AM by God Only Meows » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2012, 07:17:17 PM »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:34:39 AM by God Only Meows » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2012, 08:40:20 AM »

However, that doesn't stop me creating my own understanding of the song. I reckon everyone sometimes sees one or another song as sth. different than its original meaning. 

Absolutely! For instance, my own personal reading of God Only Knows relates to how incredible it is to eat roast potatoes with gravy on them. Yumsville.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2012, 10:25:09 AM »

However, that doesn't stop me creating my own understanding of the song. I reckon everyone sometimes sees one or another song as sth. different than its original meaning. 

Absolutely! For instance, my own personal reading of God Only Knows relates to how incredible it is to eat roast potatoes with gravy on them. Yumsville.

I thought we all agreed that song was about blowing your fucking head off.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »

I thought we all agreed that song was about blowing your f***ing head off.

Of course. And then serving that head up with Roast potatoes and gravy. Cannibalism included there! (Brian is some sick minded freak!)

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »

I hate the lead vocal.

You need to get past the dire vocals and hold out for the coda, pure magic.

You will understand one day

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2012, 02:10:37 PM »

Dance Dance Dance. Too teeny-bopper for me. For some reason I love Be True To Your School though, maybe because it has a really great melody.

Shut Down and Little Deuce Coupe. They both just sound like primitive 50s rock and roll. I don't understand the appeal.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:22:51 PM by Grave Robber 9 » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2012, 03:03:47 PM »

I hate the lead vocal.

You need to get past the dire vocals and hold out for the coda, pure magic.

You will understand one day

Those vocals don't bother me at all, for whatever reason.  Although, a Brian or Dennis sang version could have really been something.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 12, 2012, 11:31:58 AM »

Shut Down and Little Deuce Coupe. They both just sound like primitive 50s rock and roll. I don't understand the appeal.

Primitive 50's rock and roll? Awesome! Where do I sign up?

For me, I'm not so crazy about The Little Girl I Once Knew, Marcella or Add Some Music.

Please delete my account
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »

In the Back of My Mind

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: November 13, 2012, 08:59:31 AM »

I thought we all agreed that song was about blowing your f***ing head off.

Of course. And then serving that head up with roast potatoes and gravy. Cannibalism included there! (Brian is some sick-minded freak!)
That's why I like this community - because every time I discover something new here. Shame on me that I thought GOK is a ballad. Thanks to 3 of you for opening my eyes (or ears?). Hooray!

I do hope that you don't actually think that God Only Knows is in any way about eating human heads and roast potatoes.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx