gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:55:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Beach Boys "Classics" are.. 'Not to your taste?'  (Read 39367 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2012, 01:44:37 AM »

Almost all of Brian's solo career while we're at it. I don't particuarly like his later songs, i don't like his barking vocals, and hearing the Wondermints singing just always makes me feel as if i'm in a pub somewhere watching a Beach Boys tribute act.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »

Really vicious thread  Shocked

Some of you guys got pretty bad taste  Razz

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2012, 10:09:48 AM »

IMO - Help Me Rhonda = Dull  (all versions I've heard). Nearly always a skipper for me

Barbara Ann = Irritating vocals

Not mad on most of the Wild Honey album either.

Would rather listen to selected Mike Love solo tracks  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2012, 12:14:42 PM »

"Don't Worry, Baby" & "Please Let Me Wonder" - leave me cold, both of them.

And don't get me started on "Barbara-fucking-Ann"...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »

Little. Deuce. Coupe. This tune just leaves me kind of cold. The long extended "got" vocal always sounds really shaky and annoying to me. IMO, maybe the weakest song of theirs to be so friggin' popular.
Paulos
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2012, 03:02:16 PM »

And don't get me started on "Barbara-f***ing-Ann"...

Hmm, your book indicates otherwise, I think Andrew is trying to trick us!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2012, 11:20:46 PM »

No...he can't be!! "Barbara f***ing-Ann" makes it so sincere!!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:22:03 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2012, 01:42:32 AM »

Andrew? Trick us? Never!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »

Branch out.  Listen to other opinions.

But what if those opinions are that they prefer stereo to mono?
What's wrong about preferring stereo to mono? I for one like stereo better, except for some individual tracks.

The good thing is nothing is wrong with it. I prefer mono to stereo (when both formats are available), but I will definitely listen to stereo. Mono sounds more whole and complete, a stereo mix has to be fantastic for me to prefer it over mono and usually that isn't the case.

To each his/her own!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »

What's wrong about preferring stereo to mono? I for one like stereo better, except for some individual tracks.

Have you heard the remaster In The Back Of My Mind stereo mix?
I love it so much!

The good thing is nothing is wrong with it. I prefer mono to stereo (when both formats are available), but I will definitely listen to stereo. Mono sounds more whole and complete, a stereo mix has to be fantastic for me to prefer it over mono and usually that isn't the case.

To each his/her own!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2012, 01:27:51 PM »

I love it so much!

To each his/her own!
Yes I have and it is mind blowing. Makes me wish the original mono version had the single lead vocal and the extended fade.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »

I love it so much!

To each his/her own!
Yes I have and it is mind blowing. Makes me wish the original mono version had the single lead vocal and the extended fade.

Yeah, it's beautiful!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »

I have a pretty strong dislike for "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times," in part because I find the lyrics difficult to relate to. I'm pretty sure it's right on the money for a significant number of folks here, but it doesn't work for me. (Add obvious song title pun here....)

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2012, 06:06:56 PM »

California Girls, Marcella, Sail On Sailor, finished versions of Surf's Up (thus excluding the "demo").

do you even like the Beach Boys?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2012, 06:12:05 PM »

more or lees all their early songs sound much better live.

I dont care for Surfer Girl or Dont Worry Baby in their studio formats, but live in the 70's onwards they had something extra in them given that they were very dated and represented a glimpse into the bands past. For example the live in Knebworth version of Surfer Girl with Dennis up-front is gorgeous because their voices have aged and 18 years stand between the original and their performance. I feel that stuff adds warmth to these songs and allows me to appreciate the pre-65 material much more.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 02, 2012, 06:45:24 PM »

I don't like "Good Timin'".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2012, 12:43:01 AM »

MODIFY
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:50:44 AM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2012, 01:32:14 AM »

I have a pretty strong dislike for "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times," in part because I find the lyrics difficult to relate to. I'm pretty sure it's right on the money for a significant number of folks here, but it doesn't work for me. (Add obvious song title pun here....)
Will you explain further ? Smiley
On a hunch, I feel that you have some sort of deeper bone to pick, maybe you think they're indulgent?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:33:39 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2012, 01:39:54 AM »

Will you explain further ? Smiley
On a hunch, I feel that you have some sort of deeper bone to pick, maybe you think they're indulgent?

Brian Wilson was a melancholy pot brownie eating cry baby, huh? Invoking Weller's Law. Post an image of actor Fred Weller. Then say  "Oh, that sounds a whole lot like what the producers of an American Family thought.." Conversation over.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:49:41 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »

I don't understand people's love of the In Concert version of "You Still Believe in Me". Sounds to me like Al can't hit those notes, it's an off-kilter (in a way not endearing) and paltry sounding rearrangement on an album where that is otherwise not so much a problem.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2012, 07:40:11 PM »

Of the "classics" on my iPod, I usually skip "Be True To Your School,"  and "When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2012, 01:11:26 PM »

You're So Good To Me is not so good...to me.

Thank God. I thought it was just me! Embarrassed
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »

That's pretty close to the mark on how I feel about IJWMFFT. Too indulgent, bordering on whining.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:26:44 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2012, 03:28:08 PM »

That's pretty close to the mark on how I feel about IJWMFFT. Too indulgent, bordering on whining.

dat track, melody, and arrangement, though. Jesus. High point of Brian's creativity, possibly.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »

The self-indulgence and sentiment of the lyrics are EXACTLY why it's one of my favorite songs of all time. I relate to that song so much, and I'm sure a lot of members here do to, although it's for a different reason than Asher/Wilson intended. Brian felt out of place in his time period, seemingly the man was ahead of his time - his ideas and thought processes on modular recordings alone testify to this. For myself, as long as I have been alive I have never felt quite 'with it' amongst my peers and today's society. I was obsessed with The Beatles and the 60s by the time I was 4. I've never stopped. I truly don't feel as if I was meant to be in this time period - I often feel kind of lost. It's a little messed up, and I don't let it get in the way of my life, but I feel like everyone I know is content to be living in the now, and I'm just not. So, when I really listened to the lyrics of that song for the first time, it just hit me in a totally different way than any other song had ever hit me. I felt that. Yeah, it's 'ego music'. I dig it.

Part of the genius of Pet Sounds is the way the music beautifully accompanies the lyrics - and on IJWMFTT they fit together so perfectly. It's another of many reasons why that song is such a knockout.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx