gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:33:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
20/20 recording - 11 (21.2%)
Single - 41 (78.8%)
Total Voters: 47

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Track talk #7: Cotton Fields  (Read 7398 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »

Maybe a dumb question but how much has been re-recorded for the single version? Is the basic backing track the same or did they totally start from scratch?

Personally I find Al's revision a huge improvement over Brian's 20/20 version. That feels woefully under-produced in comparison. The backing vocals are outstanding on the single. Did brian arrange those or have any involvement with the latter production?

I'm interested in the genesis of this song. I have to admit I had never heard any versions other than the Beach Boys and Creedence Clearwater Revival. Maybe I'm alone, but if there's anybody here that hasn't heard Leadbelly's original then here it is:

http://youtu.be/46h56pidCiE

I see on wikipedia that it was covered multiple times after that, famously by Odetta, Harry Bellafonte and The Highwaymen. I wonder if it was The Highwaymen's version, with its group harmonies, that inspired Al to bring it to the band?

http://youtu.be/OF_0zun96GE

Or perhaps The Seekers' banjo heavy version from 1964:

http://youtu.be/LTkK3ifax_8

As for the country rock slant on the single; I love this and wish the Beach Boys had done more of the same. I love it when they incorporate country styled slide guitar in their productions. Anyone heard that groovy slide-driven version of We're Together Again? George Harrison eat yer heart out! It's one of my favourite outtakes.

But I wonder, which was recorded first: The Beach Boys single or CCW version? Both have a strong country slant. Did one crib from the other? Obviously the 20/20 version was 68, but the August 69 version is really country in comparison. The CCW version was released in 69 but I'm not sure if it was recorded before or after and if one influenced the other?

One last question:

Which BB version do you prefer?!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:52:56 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:14:48 PM »

Always been an odd favourite of mine, although my dad has always said 'It's a great song, but it's not theirs' Grin

Also, single version everytime for me, although, bit of trivia, I have a Picture Sleeved German/Holland (Not sure which) issue, and it's the Album version on 7" (Time to Get Alone B-Side), which shows that in some places, even the album version had hit potential!

Edit: this one:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:48:35 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:39:41 PM »

Always been an odd favourite of mine, although my dad has always said 'It's a great song, but it's not theirs' Grin

Does he say the same about Sloop John B?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:47:29 PM »

Does he say the same about Sloop John B?

I lack a quote on that one...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »

This tune finally came together for me on the reunion tour.  Totten's twangy B-bender sealed it.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »

This tune finally came together for me on the reunion tour.  Totten's twangy B-bender sealed it.

Yeah I have to say it was one of the highlights of the Wembley show for me.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 02:50:06 PM »

This tune finally came together for me on the reunion tour.  Totten's twangy B-bender sealed it.

Gift: http://soundcloud.com/frederickjamesfrench-pounce/cottonfields-live-at-wembley

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 03:22:02 PM »

Single version, very easily. One of my big BB faves, actually.
I think the BB and Creedence versions happening within a short time of each other is mere coincidence.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »

This tune finally came together for me on the reunion tour.  Totten's twangy B-bender sealed it.

Gift: http://soundcloud.com/frederickjamesfrench-pounce/cottonfields-live-at-wembley

Good stuff - Thanks for that Mr Moutachio!

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »

20/20 version of Cotton Fields has been in my iPods "most played" top 1 since 2009. 'Nuff said. That horn break makes me feel free.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »

I've heard the album version a lot more - it's just become so familiar that's the one I always go to.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 09:44:23 PM »

To answer Buddahat's question, they album and single versions are two completely different recordings (and, going by memory, I think in two different keys?).  Brian cut the 20/20 version with studio musicians (including Hal Blaine, Lyle Ritz and road band member Ed Carter) at I.D. Sound, and I believe the vocals were added at Brian's home studio.  Al probably co-produced the vocal session (since he's credited on the album as producing it with Brian), but it's Brian's arrangement.  The single version was produced several months later solely by Al, and was cut at Sunset Sound using the live lineup of the Beach Boys with a few studio musicians such as Red Rhodes.  Vocals were added at Wally Heider's.
MBE
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 11:04:07 PM »

Brian did sing on the single version, I've had that comfirmed a few times.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 01:17:37 AM »

To answer Buddahat's question, they album and single versions are two completely different recordings (and, going by memory, I think in two different keys?).  Brian cut the 20/20 version with studio musicians (including Hal Blaine, Lyle Ritz and road band member Ed Carter) at I.D. Sound, and I believe the vocals were added at Brian's home studio.  Al probably co-produced the vocal session (since he's credited on the album as producing it with Brian), but it's Brian's arrangement.  The single version was produced several months later solely by Al, and was cut at Sunset Sound using the live lineup of the Beach Boys with a few studio musicians such as Red Rhodes.  Vocals were added at Wally Heider's.

This is great. Many thanks for the info C-Man. I have always assumed the 20/20 version formed the basis of the single in some way.

William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »

Pretty ballsy of Al to decide Brian's version wasn't up to scratch and he had to re-do it all by himself. Glad he did though.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 12:09:43 AM »

Never really been a big fan of Cottonfields, either version (although i prefer the single version, if only for the bit when they go 'bow-bow-bow-bow-diddle-dee-diddle-dee').
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 02:50:14 AM »

I never liked it much till I heard the single version, and then hearing it live this year really opened my eyes to it. 

I've read an interview with Al in which he said something to the effect that he was hoping that Brian could do with it what he did with "Sloop John B," but it really didn't turn out how he expected, so he redid it himself.  I think he did much better than Brian, and in fact, the single version ironically sounds more like a Brian Wilson production to me than the album version. 

Al also expressed a bit of doubt about the pedal steel--I think it sounds a BIT out of place, but is interesting addition on a BB song. 
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 03:10:02 AM »

LOVE IT.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 05:26:43 AM »

I too prefer the single version but the album version does have its merits too I think, it's almost like a glimpse of what was to come on the American Spring album, very laid-back and unassuming (and "very Brian" in that way I think).
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »

The 20/20 version is blowing the single version away in my eyes.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8NkQQ6oMtc
I never really was a fan of the 20/20 version, but I really like this version of the single. Is this a live recording or just a promo video? I heard the single version a while back and could have sworn it sounded different from this version.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 02:49:18 AM »

I like both.  Always have.  But it's the single version for me.

Honk! Honk!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »

Obviously not yet, but when it comes to it, I think CS/California would be a good track next - Single and Album versions once again, although minimal differences this time

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 09:25:31 AM »

I never really was a fan of the 20/20 version, but I really like this version of the single. Is this a live recording or just a promo video? I heard the single version a while back and could have sworn it sounded different from this version.

Just sounds like it's running a little fast.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 12:49:09 PM »

Just sounds like it's running a little fast.
Do you mean like it was sped-up or just performed faster?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx