gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:55:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Favourite Beatles album? (UK Canon Only, I'm afraid)
Please Please Me - 2 (1.9%)
With The Beatles - 1 (1%)
A Hard Day's Night - 5 (4.9%)
Beatles For Sale - 1 (1%)
Help! - 1 (1%)
Rubber Soul - 19 (18.4%)
Revolver - 21 (20.4%)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - 6 (5.8%)
Magical Mystery Tour (Album, not EP) - 7 (6.8%)
The Beatles - 14 (13.6%)
Yellow Submarine (OST, not 'songtrack') - 0 (0%)
Abbey Road - 19 (18.4%)
Let It Be - 0 (0%)
Write-In votes for US albums,1, Love,  Past Masters, Let It Be Naked, The Red/Blue Albums, Wings Over America, or something else. - 2 (1.9%)
f*** The Beatles - 5 (4.9%)
Total Voters: 94

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pollin' The Beatles  (Read 21995 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2014, 10:47:55 PM »

The UK had their only albums like please please me when meet was the official capitol debut in the US..and capitol made so many packaged albums , but I would say its agreed that there were 8 beatles albums worldwide: meet/with the beatles, hard days night, help, rubber soul, revolver, sgt pepper, the white album and abbey rd/ in america the UK albums would be imports and in the UK the truncated re.packaged albums didnt exist...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2014, 04:08:47 AM »

Difficult to pick one out of Please Please Me, Rubber Soul, Revolver and Abbey Road. I eventually plumped for the magnificent debut...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2014, 06:24:46 AM »

Introducing The Beatles was the first album I received (Christmas or birthday, can't recall which).  It was a bootleg/faux copy of the album (I've since discovered) and I loved it, still do.  Love the rough shod production, the immediacy of the performances, the mushy vocals (John and possibly Paul had colds).   It sounds like an album recorded in a day (in a good way) and it remains a special thing to me.

The American Rubber Soul was another gift back in the early eighties and it knocked me out.  Loved it then, and love it now.  prefer it to the UK version.  Only thing that might improve it is the inclusion of Nowhere man and If I Needed Someone. 

Beatles VI is one of my favorite of the American albums too.  It's just an awesome collection of great mid-sixties pop.  I loved (and still do) how they could take "just okay" songs and turn them into more than that with their arrangements and choice of instrumentation.  Great vocals too, and with (at that time) hidden gems like Bad Boy and Yes It is on it, how could it be bad?

Meet the Beatles/Beatles Second Album where also favorites - they amazed me with how great their cover versions were.

Got to hear Pepper the first time via my older brothers copy of the originally released mono - and I have never heard it the same ever again.  Need to get me a copy of the original mono pressing (IMO nothing compares to it).

The White Album was brought home by my older bro as he wanted me to hear it - scared me, much of it did, but also amused me - it was weird too because already knowing about the Manson connection and the Paul is Dead thing - it was like an album of mysteries. 

I remember looking at my brothers copy of Magical Mystery Tour when i was a very little kid - the cover made me think of Sid and Marty Krofft (or some such Saturday morning kids show).  I recall feeling creeped out by the cover too, those strange animal get ups struck me as oddly threatening somehow. 

The Beatles are like comfort food to me.  My level of interest in them has waxed and waned over the years, but they are always something I return to eventually, and I find great comfort in them. 
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2015, 06:23:47 AM »

This poll includes posthumous and a couple other non.essentials. it should just be Meet the beatles, hard days night, help, rubber soul, revolver, sgt pep, white album and abbey rd.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2015, 07:19:47 PM »

This poll includes posthumous and a couple other non.essentials. it should just be Meet the beatles, hard days night, help, rubber soul, revolver, sgt pep, white album and abbey rd.

dude what

Meet The Beatles is not a real Beatles album, for starters. I barely listen to the Beatles and even I know that.

Also, what.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 07:21:47 PM by XTC is my 2nd favorite band (all other bands r tied for 1st) » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2015, 07:20:39 PM »

Is Meet The Beatles just SUPPOSED to sound like "beat the meatholes" or is my brain more broken than I had previously thought?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 07:37:09 PM by XTC is my 2nd favorite band (all other bands r tied for 1st) » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2015, 08:07:52 PM »

I'm a Revolver kind of guy although Abbey Road and Rubber Soul are right there too...and looking at the poll results...we Beach Boys fans seem to be 'there' more often than not.

Not a bad band...the Beatles I mean...either.  I'm a Harrison and McCartney kind of 'fan'.  Lennon was either GREAT or not my cup of tea.  He ranged back and forth...from one extreme to the other... .. ...imho.  Ringo?  VERY good drummer.  Comic relief.  Some MUSICAL talent...and seemingly...a pretty good guy.  I voted for Revolver in spite of him...as he also shows up on the other two.  We all live in a Yellow submarine my arse!!!  It's Blue.  Cool Guy

I've got White 4th.

Sgt Peppers has NOT stood my test of time.  A brave release then.  Dated now.  The concept, I guess, didn't work.  It has no value in terms of it's core, content and meaning.  Just a bunch of songs which although somewhat tied together just really don't go together all that meaningfully.  [That's how it seems to me.  YOUR take is correct for you.]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:12:45 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2015, 09:35:16 PM »

George Martin deserves more credit than any beatles member,,he wasn't just producer, he was their foundation and adhesive. The beatles took a few years to get beyond the formative beginnings. Even tho they started as the beatles in 61, and recording in 62, 64 was THE year they broke thru and 66 was their end as a band, those last three yrs from 67 to 69 they were a studio group.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2015, 09:45:03 PM »

George Martin deserves more credit than any beatles member,,he wasn't just producer, he was their foundation and adhesive.
I never agreed with this notion. I'm on the camp who think this guy is way overrated. And anyway, aren't members in any band supposed to be forefront, since they write the music & all & producer is someone who helps shape it a little here & there? Remember in the beginning, they declined his decision & offered original song instead? The rest is history (they were right!).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:46:21 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2015, 10:55:20 AM »

Before martin was calling the shots the beatles were a no.name pub group that were rejected by numerous labels...he polished em, created their image and got them stardom. Jus like the stones they were a cover band the first albums etc. The two Ms: martin&mccartney, the brains behind everything.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2015, 01:18:06 PM »

Before martin was calling the shots the beatles were a no.name pub group that were rejected by numerous labels...he polished em, created their image and got them stardom. Jus like the stones they were a cover band the first albums etc. The two Ms: martin&mccartney, the brains behind everything.

I feel like my IQ goes down every time I read one of this guys posts.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2015, 01:24:11 PM »

Hey Kook.  You know that the Beatles played and played and played... ... ..and played live usually within the confines of chaos.  In doing so...they were tight and accomplished and could rock most bands asses off right?.

So yes Martin brought some assistance and various tricks to the party but he really just assisted.  He didn't lead the parade.

I'd also suggest that they were WAY better as a unit than they were as solo artists.  Balance ya know?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2015, 04:52:25 PM »

"White Album" was my first back in 1980 and it still is my favorite. Beatles, Beach Boys and Monkees are my top 3 (just like GuitarFool) for both listening pleasure and their respective histories.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2015, 05:47:34 PM »

I feel like my IQ goes down every time I read one of this guys posts.
good ha
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2015, 08:56:14 PM »

I voted Rubber Soul but I like revolver equally as much.

My 14 year old daughter is obsessed by Beatles.  The Beach Boys, not so much even though she loved "Take Load Off Your Feet" when she was 3.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2015, 10:24:45 PM »

I voted Rubber Soul but I like revolver equally as much.

My 14 year old daughter is obsessed by Beatles.  The Beach Boys, not so much even though she loved "Take Load Off Your Feet" when she was 3.

My 13 year old has discovered Beatlemania but also likes the Beach Boys (took him and the family to see the Mike/Bruce show in 2013).
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2015, 08:27:17 PM »

Yeah I dont get why so many misconstrue the beatles discography. Their formative years of 61-63 were fine and dandy but 64 is when they got off the group with the Meet Album and I wanna hold your hand in the US, then 66 was really where it kinda ended with Revolver and not performing anymore even tho they officially broke up in 69 with Abbey rd. Rubber soul was by far their peak, it never got better than that. I mean peppers, the white album and abbey were good for what they were but NOWHERE near the quality of meet-hard days-help-rubber soul. The psychedelic era from 67 onward really took the life outta rockNroll...it was never better than 63 to 66.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2015, 11:16:02 PM »

Introducing The Beatles was the first album I received (Christmas or birthday, can't recall which).  It was a bootleg/faux copy of the album (I've since discovered) and I loved it, still do.  Love the rough shod production, the immediacy of the performances, the mushy vocals (John and possibly Paul had colds).   It sounds like an album recorded in a day (in a good way) and it remains a special thing to me.

The American Rubber Soul was another gift back in the early eighties and it knocked me out.  Loved it then, and love it now.  prefer it to the UK version.  Only thing that might improve it is the inclusion of Nowhere man and If I Needed Someone. 

Beatles VI is one of my favorite of the American albums too.  It's just an awesome collection of great mid-sixties pop.  I loved (and still do) how they could take "just okay" songs and turn them into more than that with their arrangements and choice of instrumentation.  Great vocals too, and with (at that time) hidden gems like Bad Boy and Yes It is on it, how could it be bad?

Meet the Beatles/Beatles Second Album where also favorites - they amazed me with how great their cover versions were.

Got to hear Pepper the first time via my older brothers copy of the originally released mono - and I have never heard it the same ever again.  Need to get me a copy of the original mono pressing (IMO nothing compares to it).

The White Album was brought home by my older bro as he wanted me to hear it - scared me, much of it did, but also amused me - it was weird too because already knowing about the Manson connection and the Paul is Dead thing - it was like an album of mysteries. 

I remember looking at my brothers copy of Magical Mystery Tour when i was a very little kid - the cover made me think of Sid and Marty Krofft (or some such Saturday morning kids show).  I recall feeling creeped out by the cover too, those strange animal get ups struck me as oddly threatening somehow. 

The Beatles are like comfort food to me.  My level of interest in them has waxed and waned over the years, but they are always something I return to eventually, and I find great comfort in them. 
John and George had colds during the recording - all of one day - of their debut album. I notice it most on "Anna" and "Baby It's You" - which makes it nice that they also did those songs at the BBC. John was one of the best interpreters of early rock and roll, period. He had the passion in his voice for those songs. Oddly enough, though, the first Beatles album I owned as a kid was Magical Mystery Tour - unless I count The Chipmunks Sing the Beatles Hits.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx