gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:36:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: He Gives Speeches.... too slow  (Read 3632 times)
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:07:47 AM »

First I'd like to say I love the box set, a few funny edits here and there but brilliant and deserving of the Grammy.

However, I hear He Gives Speeches and I swear the tape is runnig slow. Always thought it on the SOT boot too.  I'm sure that is how it sounds on the tape at 15ips. But I suggest that for some reason it was recorded at 15ips plus a couple of notches on the varispeed. From working in a studio in the years of tape I know  tha a few times we cut stuff just off 15ips, sometimes by accident , sometimes on purpose. My main reason for thinking is the tone of Brian's voice. He sounds like a tape slowed down.

For further proof, notice that HGS is in the key of F.  Yet She's going bald is in F#

I always used to speed it up on my smile comps back in the day and assumed that Mark and co would come to the same conclusion. Thoughts?

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 01:18:34 AM »

He slowed it down to record the backing vocals, a technique later done on the cover of "With A Little Help From My Friends" and "It's Over Now" (and probably a few others I'm forgetting).  Who knows if he would have sped it back up if it were released?
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 02:50:49 AM »

exactly, these were the kind of reasons we used to use the vary speed. To do an over dub that had a difficult note or a different sound was required.  But then you usually put it back to correct speed for playback unless you want an over all odd effect on everything. Eg Strawberry fields part 2.  I shall continue to listen to my (IMHO) speed corrected version ;-)

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »

First I'd like to say I love the box set, a few funny edits here and there but brilliant and deserving of the Grammy.

However, I hear He Gives Speeches and I swear the tape is runnig slow. Always thought it on the SOT boot too.  I'm sure that is how it sounds on the tape at 15ips. But I suggest that for some reason it was recorded at 15ips plus a couple of notches on the varispeed. From working in a studio in the years of tape I know  tha a few times we cut stuff just off 15ips, sometimes by accident , sometimes on purpose. My main reason for thinking is the tone of Brian's voice. He sounds like a tape slowed down.

For further proof, notice that HGS is in the key of F.  Yet She's going bald is in F#

I always used to speed it up on my smile comps back in the day and assumed that Mark and co would come to the same conclusion. Thoughts?

I agree with you. The boxed set (slow) version is unlistenable to me. I stumbled across a faster (correct speed?) version which I substitute on my SMiLE comps.

Not to de-rail the thread but I feel the same way about "It's Over Now" from the Good Vibrations boxed set. Such a great song but also unlistenable due to the dragging. And, again, I heard a faster version which is so much better. 
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:50:45 AM »

Hi Richard, good to see you here!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 09:20:38 AM »

Hi Richard,

Maybe the reverse is true? Perhaps the recorded (or bounced) the basic track at a slightly higher speed because maybe Brian wanted the lower pitch?

Most machines at this time did not have varispeed, so I think they typically wrapped the capstan to make it faster. Though there is a brief mention of an oscillator being used to vari-speed on one of the Smile box session outtakes banter. So the studio may have rigged one together.

But yeh, I agree it sounds slowed down, one way or the other, for one reason or another.

richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:10:28 AM »

Hello Stephen, long time no hear!

Donny:
Yeh I think you're right, they had to put a wrap round the capstan to speed up "Caroline No".
Although I know Abbey Road had manged to cobble together a varispeed system by late 66/early 67 so I'm guessing the LA studios had also "come up to speed" with the latest gadget too.   LOL

mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »

I may be wrong, but I'm almost sure that the "Whisperin' winds..." ending tag on the Smile Sessions' "Holidays" is really sped up.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 07:14:26 PM »

The Smile takes of "Surf's Up", "Wonderful", "Wind Chimes" and "Vegetables" are in different keys than their later 1967 versions, so I don't think this means anything. There's no reason I can think of that Brian would need to alter the key to record backing vocals.

Brian's voice is noticeably "off" when I speed "He Gives Speeches" up, it has that quality to it when you speed anyone's voice up and is especially obvious in the end when he's speaking. It's fairly low in Brian's register and his singing style seems kind of put on, I'm wondering if he meant for someone else (Mike?) to do the lead.

I think the box set speed is the correct speed.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 11:19:14 PM »

I may be wrong, but I'm almost sure that the "Whisperin' winds..." ending tag on the Smile Sessions' "Holidays" is really sped up.

most certainly is!
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 03:00:52 AM »

I'd love to hear It's Over Now speed-corrected.
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 02:53:26 AM »

I'd love to hear It's Over Now speed-corrected.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI0UT3Ix5jk

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 11:17:39 AM »

Brian's voice is noticeably "off" when I speed "He Gives Speeches" up, it has that quality to it when you speed anyone's voice up and is especially obvious in the end when he's speaking. It's fairly low in Brian's register and his singing style seems kind of put on, I'm wondering if he meant for someone else (Mike?) to do the lead.

To me the reverse is true. It doesn't sounds like Brian's usual voice till you crank up the speed.

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »

I agree with you and have been saying it since clips of the box started surfacing in late 2011.  It was too slow on the SOT boot and when sped up, sounded perfect.  Now it's slowed down again and doesn't work at all.  Very glad it's not part of the proper "SMiLE" running order with this annoying mistake included.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx