gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:29:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is anyone else disappointed with the new, stereo edition of "Smiley Smile"?  (Read 8961 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 07:16:55 AM »

The voices now envelope the listener rather than sounding flat and distant. Each Beach Boy sounds so distinct now, you can almost hear the expression on their faces as they sing...... If that makes any sense....

Yes!  Exactly!!!  This is what I was trying to say in the Remasters thread, when I said it "makes more sense" now.  I could not hear them before, but now I can hear subtle expressions and emotional cues that in some instances change the "reading" or meaning of some songs and passages.

I can't remember specifics, but I remember thinking "oh, they're doing a parody of this here..." which before just sounded like they were being silly or goofy.  There were a lot of things like that.  And then there were things like the speeding up section of Goin' Bald...that sound more wildly, intense and more manic.

I am so knocked out by this, I cannot adequately express!!!  Layers of dust have been removed here...and it's like seeing the colors of Van Gogh for the first time.

Bring on Wild Honey... Friends... (but I'm not expecting anything to top the wild ride of Smiley Smile!!!!!)  So to the OP, I guess I'm firmly in the NO column!   Grin

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 07:50:02 AM »

I can't remember specifics, but I remember thinking "oh, they're doing a parody of this here..."

Stuff like this breaks my heart.

Kinda.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 08:01:19 AM »

I am so knocked out by this, I cannot adequately express!!!  Layers of dust have been removed here...and it's like seeing the colors of Van Gogh for the first time.

I kinda liken it to this:

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 08:21:21 AM »

Exactly.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Paulos
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 12:09:51 PM »

I am so knocked out by this, I cannot adequately express!!!  Layers of dust have been removed here...and it's like seeing the colors of Van Gogh for the first time.

I don't understand what the down syndrome monkey on the right has to do with the stereo Smiley Smile.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 01:56:16 PM »

I am so knocked out by this, I cannot adequately express!!!  Layers of dust have been removed here...and it's like seeing the colors of Van Gogh for the first time.

I don't understand what the down syndrome monkey on the right has to do with the stereo Smiley Smile.

that painting/fresco illustrates perfectly how religions taint over time, and then someone tries to fix it resulting in the image being further from the original. This is true for Jesus but untrue for Smiley ^^
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 09:00:42 AM »

Much that I disagree with you about the new stereo mix, that is a fantastic analogy!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 09:08:52 AM »

Wouldn't this:

versus this:

Be more accurate?

AMIRITE?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 10:43:17 AM »

I like the stereo mix of Smiley a lot.

I don't mind having any the albums in stereo. I like having alternatives when I hunker down to listen to The Beach Boys.

But the mono kicks the stereo's ass, whether it's a vintage stereo mix or a newfangled one.

That said, there will be times when I will feel like listening to stereo Today, Party and Summer Days. It's nice to have both options.

If it takes a new stereo remix of Smiley Smile to convnice the hard-headed fans to give it another chance, well....that's good. I just hope that someday they go back to the mono and realize that the beautiful album they've just fallen in love with was there all along.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »

I agree Bubba, I like having the option for any given album/song.  I do think there are instances where a stereo mix blows away the mono (i.e. most of Pet Sounds, for me anyways), and other cases where the exact opposite is true (a lot of the Today! tracks, in my opinion).  With Smiley, I found things to appreciate about both mixes, as others have said here. 

The coolest thing about Beach Boys stereo mixes in general is hearing little things that you couldn't hear before.  These are all over Brian's tracks, even the sparsely arranged Smiley tracks.  Those are what blew me away the most.  I have a feeling that if/when we get a Wild Honey stereo mix/master, the reaction will be similar.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 03:53:24 PM »

Wouldn't this:

versus this:

Be more accurate?

AMIRITE?

I think that is more the duophonic version or something like that.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »

duophonic

???

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »

So, wait, the GV stereo mix was done, not by extracting the vocals from the mono master and overlaying them on the true stereo backing track, but by extracting the whole mono master? Is that really so? Why would they do that when the backing track multis exist? Surely there must be another reason besides purposely withholding a better extraction for the box set.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2012, 08:31:15 PM »

The thing is there are better fan extraction mixes on youtube that utilize the stereo master.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »

The thing is there are better fan extraction mixes on youtube that utilize the stereo master.

then just listen to those if you think so. who cares if something is official or not? either way it's done by some random guy that's not Brian Wilson.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
wavedancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2012, 12:22:51 AM »

Just love the stereo SS. Although I too was dissapointed with the GV mix. If only Wild Honey could sound this good.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 12:53:30 PM »

Links plz. This Derry fellow's mixes impress me because they're not marred by heavy phasing and overuse of reverb which you hear pretty often on fan mixes (the former more than the latter).

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »

I'm disappointed by the stereo Good Vibrations. It's not nearly as enjoyable as the mono version because of the phasey extracted vocal. They shouldn't have even bothered.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 06:48:05 PM »

I'm disappointed by the stereo Good Vibrations. It's not nearly as enjoyable as the mono version because of the phasey extracted vocal. They shouldn't have even bothered.

Why not? The mono is still there, eleven tracks back, for you to enjoy. That's one great thing about these releases - doing an extraction when necessary is ok, because you still have the mono version ON THE SAME DISC.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »

I for one am very much liking the new stereo Smiley Smile.  I think it really is stunning all spread out.  Love the little details off to the sides.  "Fall Breaks" now intrigues me again, no longer sounding like just a "Fire" rewrite.  I like a lot how Mark Linnett psychedelicizes it with the odd bit of cross-channel ping-ponging.  I agree the "stereo extraction" of Good Vibrations is a bit strange though, it doesn't offend but you can hear the artificiality of it.

Sorry Ian.  Two men say they're Jesus, one of 'em must be wrong...

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx