gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:04:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is anyone else disappointed with the new, stereo edition of "Smiley Smile"?  (Read 8973 times)
Dan Caine
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2012, 08:20:14 AM »

Seems to me, especially on Vegetables, Fall Breaks, Wind Chimes, I've heard much better stereo renditions elswhere.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »

Seems to me, especially on Vegetables, Fall Breaks, Wind Chimes, I've heard much better stereo renditions elswhere.

I'd love to hear these supposedly superior mixes....
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:26:24 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 08:31:46 AM »

I laughed, then cried, then laughed again at the title of this thread.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »

Disappointed isn't the word.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 09:54:07 AM »

can't please 'em all
Paulos
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:34:37 AM »

Disappointed? No. I've loved Smiley Smile ever since I bought the SS/WH two-fer nearly 6 years ago but hearing the stereo mix was an absolute revelation. I'd always found Gettin' Hungry to be the weakest song on the album but now it has been released in glorious stereo it sounds immense.

Of course, some people will be disappointed and you can't please everybody, especially not Beach Boys fans.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 11:37:50 AM »

Nope. It sounds fantastic!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 11:56:08 AM »

Big fan.

I don't think the new mix is revelatory, but there are lots of pleasant surprises -- the bass vocals in "With Me Tonight" are completely delightful -- and it's very faithful to the original mix's spirit (the Hawthorne mixes of "Heroes and Villains" and "Vegetables", by comparison, sound a little glossy.)

I will say that I was disappointed with the GV stereo extraction mix when I first got it -- partially because I wanted extracted vocals over the true stereo track, but probably mostly because I was dumb enough to pay for the Japanese import without listening to any previews. That's a minor complaint, though; now that I've sat on it for a couple months, it's perfectly listenable, and the rest of the album is excellent.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »

I thought some tracks were kinda iffy, Gettin' Hungry in particular. The acapella bit at the end was ruined by a crossfade that sounded like ass.

A discipline daddy.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »

Disappointed? No. I've loved Smiley Smile ever since I bought the SS/WH two-fer nearly 6 years ago but hearing the stereo mix was an absolute revelation. I'd always found Gettin' Hungry to be the weakest song on the album but now it has been released in glorious stereo it sounds immense.

Agree about Gettin' Hungry and Smiley Smile in general.  In fact I have finally "gotten" Smiley Smile and years of not figuring it out.  All the songs work in their sequence (exactly like Sgt. Peppers by the way) and I love the ebb and flow between the 2 big band numbers and the lovely, lovely bare bones ones.

God love Carl Wilson, but this album was not a "bunt".

Were there not people around at the time with alternative tastes to appreciate this?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »

Listen with headphones!!!

The voices now envelope the listener rather than sounding flat and distant. Each Beach Boy sounds so distinct now, you can almost hear the expression on their faces as they sing...... If that makes any sense....
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »

Somebody buy this guy some cotton buds. I bought it yesterday an.
d it is fucking superb. Way beyond my expectations.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »

"Little Pad" blows my mind in stereo

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 04:12:20 PM »

I like the mix but it blows my mind that the timing of the edits and snapping in Little Pad aren't correct.  How hard is it to sync to the mono mix?  Why would you not take the time to make the edits as close as humanly possible to the mono?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 04:26:27 PM »

There were some moments that stuck out to me. Things I had never heard before.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 04:44:20 PM »

Big fan.

I don't think the new mix is revelatory, but there are lots of pleasant surprises -- the bass vocals in "With Me Tonight" are completely delightful -- and it's very faithful to the original mix's spirit (the Hawthorne mixes of "Heroes and Villains" and "Vegetables", by comparison, sound a little glossy.)

I will say that I was disappointed with the GV stereo extraction mix when I first got it -- partially because I wanted extracted vocals over the true stereo track, but probably mostly because I was dumb enough to pay for the Japanese import without listening to any previews. That's a minor complaint, though; now that I've sat on it for a couple months, it's perfectly listenable, and the rest of the album is excellent.

Did you see that small clip on this board of the guy who mixed the stereo GV? sounds like there's a version using stereo vocal extractions. I'll be they're saving it for another release, perhaps to make more ppl buy the upcoming box

here is that clip btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyk9GKFasjY
SBonilla
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »

Agree about Gettin' Hungry and Smiley Smile in general.  In fact I have finally "gotten" Smiley Smile and years of not figuring it out.  All the songs work in their sequence (exactly like Sgt. Peppers by the way) and I love the ebb and flow between the 2 big band numbers and the lovely, lovely bare bones ones.

God love Carl Wilson, but this album was not a "bunt".

Were there not people around at the time with alternative tastes to appreciate this?

I was around. I was 14 and writing songs. I understood its magic. It's hard to understand what people don't get about this album. To me, it fit in perfectly with what was going on at the time, though the BB5 were definitely on their own little trip island. But, I couldn't share my love of this record with anyone; my friends and the guys in my band were into other garage and psychedelic records that were more direct and rockin' and not so hokey.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 01:22:52 AM »

Smiley Smile my 2nd all-time favourite Beach Boys album and it sounds great in stereo - not necessarily better, but great. (Although i am confused as to why the edit at the end of Vegetables seems to have been altered (for the worse) on the stereo album??)
theCOD
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 03:27:02 PM »

Smiley Smile my 2nd all-time favourite Beach Boys album and it sounds great in stereo - not necessarily better, but great. (Although i am confused as to why the edit at the end of Vegetables seems to have been altered (for the worse) on the stereo album??)

Mark just had to get that ringy melody line in there but didn't have the track for it, so he (probably) placed the mono fade over the stereo.

Who cares that it sounds worse? It's there! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:30:24 PM by ChickenOfDepression » Logged
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »

I'm disappointed.....

.......that it still sounds like stoner music!
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 10:54:22 PM »

I'm disappointed.....

.......that it still sounds like stoner music!

Oh whatever

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 11:10:40 PM »

It literally* blows my mind that people still can't get this album. I love the new stereo mix by the way. I was a huge fan of the mono mix, and that hasn't changed, but I love hearing all the intricities of the arrangements that are buried in that mix. I feel as if I'm inside Brian's head when I'm listening to the mono mix, since it's not only  a brilliant reflection of his state of mind at the time, but what Brian with his deafness would have heard. I guess it goes without saying that the stereo mix doesn't really have that same effect on me since I know that's not Brian would have heard, however, with the voices coming from all different areas in the stereo spectrum, I feel like I've been transported to Brian's swimming pool and the guys are all around me.

*I literally mean literally (figuratively).

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 11:28:42 PM »

No.  You're on your own.  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 02:01:39 AM »

It literally* blows my mind that people still can't get this album. I love the new stereo mix by the way. I was a huge fan of the mono mix, and that hasn't changed, but I love hearing all the intricities of the arrangements that are buried in that mix. I feel as if I'm inside Brian's head when I'm listening to the mono mix, since it's not only  a brilliant reflection of his state of mind at the time, but what Brian with his deafness would have heard. I guess it goes without saying that the stereo mix doesn't really have that same effect on me since I know that's not Brian would have heard, however, with the voices coming from all different areas in the stereo spectrum, I feel like I've been transported to Brian's swimming pool and the guys are all around me.

*I literally mean literally (figuratively).

Well said. Very well said.

No.  You're on your own.  :-)

Well said. Very well said.

“We live in divisive times.”
rogerlancelot
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 02:57:21 AM »

I enjoy the new stereo mix much better than the old mono mix. It's as faithful as can be even retaining the bad edit on "Gettin' Hungry". Wasn't the original mono mix made in one evening?

Great job, Mark! Don't let the detractors detract you, you are doing one hell of a fine job!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx