gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:44:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which Do You Prefer?
Pet Sounds - 65 (67.7%)
The Smile Sessions (disc 1 'album') - 31 (32.3%)
Total Voters: 88

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #12: Pet Sounds vs. The Smile Sessions (Disc 1)  (Read 26668 times)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 01:20:46 PM »

SMiLE all the way! What's better than SMiLE?

Well, nothing.

Tripped on a cornucopia...  Drumroll
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 01:27:02 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 02:57:50 PM »

Some stereo fan mixes go beyond PS, but if we're speaking the mono releases of PS and TSS, then PS by a mile. Mark Linett utterly failed in putting a decent/clean demo vocal from the Barnyard demo over the backing track. All others seem to have managed to not only do that, but also mute the piano to a very large extent.

Never heard a mix that isolated it well enough for their not to be too many distracting artifacts, which I don't think belong on an official release.

P.S. Mark Linett - utter failure. (Note sarcasm plz)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 05:29:41 PM by MY NAME IS BRIAN AND IM THE MAN I WRITE HIT SONGS WITH THE W » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 03:58:49 PM »

Can't tell if you're being sarcasmy or not. I think we all wish we had Mark L.'s job. While there are many instances of choices we would have done differently, the man gave us Pet Sounds in stereo, which is a fine fine mix, and that is the mix that changed my life, and for that, I will be indebted to him. I think the Smiley Smile mix is superb as well. He did a nice job mixing The Explorers Club's Grand Hotel, which came out this year, also. While there ARE a crapload of mixes where I scratch my head and say, "why did he do it THAT way?", I don't think we can jump on the guy so heavily forfor making decisions that someone is approving.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »

SMiLE has had more impact on me then anything by anyone.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »

I agree with this and I'dve totally voted for SMiLE in the poll... ...if not for fact it mentioned it was disc one only. SMiLE is this big, personal, uncompleted thing and just limiting it to disc one really limits that for me.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »

is swedish frog back?  Drinking Buddies w00t! Thumbs Up Pirate Pirate Head Spin
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »

Can't tell if you're being sarcasmy or not. I think we all wish we had Mark L.'s job. While there are many instances of choices we would have done differently, the man gave us Pet Sounds in stereo, which is a fine fine mix, and that is the mix that changed my life, and for that, I will be indebted to him. I think the Smiley Smile mix is superb as well. He did a nice job mixing The Explorers Club's Grand Hotel, which came out this year, also. While there ARE a crapload of mixes where I scratch my head and say, "why did he do it THAT way?", I don't think we can jump on the guy so heavily forfor making decisions that someone is approving.

Lots of sarcasmy. I just thought it was odd to call something he did an "utter failure" is all.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
theCOD
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 05:46:49 PM »

I just thought it was odd to call something he did an "utter failure" is all.

Well, there is the Whispering Winds fly-in.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »

It's a tough call as Pet Sounds is a truly complete album, both in terms of vision and product.  This period marks the absolute pinnacle of songwriting and production in the Beach Boys catalogue.  The Smile Sessions having some littler, less substantial tracks and some uncompleted songs hurts my usual mathematical method.  I actually gave the edge to the Smile Sessions largely because I feel the meat of the project is just too good.  There's a certain playfulness to the music which I find really appealing, bringing some psychedelic weirdness where Pet Sounds had more of a classic baroque sound.  Both are indispensable.

Surf's Up
God Only Knows
Wonderful
Good Vibrations
Heroes and Villains
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Cabin Essence
Caroline, No
Sloop John B
You Still Believe in Me
Child is Father of the Man
Let's Go Away for Awhile
Vega-Tables
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
Our Prayer
Wind Chimes
Here Today
I'm Waiting for the Day
Gee
My Only Sunshine
Pet Sounds
That's Not Me
Do You Like Worms
Look (Song For Children)
Love to Say Dada
The Elements: Fire
I Wanna Be Around/Workshop
I Know There's an Answer
I'm in Great Shape
Holidays
Barnyard
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »

I agree with this and I'dve totally voted for SMiLE in the poll... ...if not for fact it mentioned it was disc one only. SMiLE is this big, personal, uncompleted thing and just limiting it to disc one really limits that for me.

How about Pet Sounds box vs SMiLE box?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 08:30:15 PM »

Oh man smile box all the way

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 08:40:10 PM »

Pet Sounds box.
SMiLE box is a treasure trove, though.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 09:06:43 PM »

The Smile Sessions contains two of the three best Beach Boys songs (they are "Cabin Essence" and "Surf's Up"; the other is "'Til I Die") and several others that match anything on Pet Sounds ("Heroes and Villains," "Do You Like Worms," "Wonderful," "Look," and the extended "Good Vibrations").  On the other hand, it also has a lot of undeveloped snippets of music like "I'm in Great Shape" or "The Old Master Painter/You Were My Sunshine"; they aren't bad, but they do leave me wanting much, much more.  Pet Sounds has the advantage of being a complete work and containing many of the band's greatest songs, and was also the band's first album that I heard, but in some ways the incompleteness of Smile makes it more alluring.  I thus give my vote to The Smile Sessions.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »

I think TTGA has got a pretty good perspective on this issue as a result of the nifty "side-by-side" technique, and it would make the comparison crystal clear if "Our Prayer," "Wind Chimes" and "Vega-Tables" were graded lower in that scheme than "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" (definitely in the top ten of the combined tracks, IMO). I'd place those tracks below "Here Today" and above "I'm Waiting For The Day." When you do that, you see what is (IMO) a really sizable disparity in quality level between the top Smile tracks and the rest of the material. As alluring as the incomplete Smile is ("lost and found you still remain there..."), it ends up weighing over the music, continuing to cast a shadow that BWPS doesn't emerge from (in some ways creating its own set of shadows).

Q: Are five mindblowing tracks (Cabinessence, Surf's Up, GV, H&V, and Wonderful) enough to trump  the whole of Pet Sounds?

A: Almost, but not quite.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »

Pet Sounds.

That WIBN (stereo track with background vocals) is the most beautiful song I've ever heard...and I'd much rather have that than anything on the Smile Sessions set.

I HATE that there is an entire CD devoted to Good Vibrations. I would've LOVED some more CIFOTM session takes. I would've LOVED a 'Wonderful (backing track with background vocals)' track. I've only listened to the GV sessions CD once - it's just overkill to listen to take after take after take of GV. It's damn interesting, but only for one listen through, imo.

However, The SMiLE Sessions is the most beautiful boxset I own. The book, the vinyls, the 45s, the CD holder - it's just a tremendous boxset and is second in my book as the best boxset ever made.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 10:53:16 AM »

....second in my book as the best boxset ever made.

What's the first?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 11:03:22 AM »

What's the first?

Pet Sounds.

I worded my original post wrong: It's my second favorite is what I meant....as for best, who knows.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 11:17:33 AM »

What's the first?

Pet Sounds.

I worded my original post wrong: It's my second favorite is what I meant....as for best, who knows.

Ah, makes sense

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 11:50:08 AM »

I'm gonna have to go with SMiLE Sad
bluesno1fann
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2014, 02:09:07 AM »

Pet Sounds.

Though only because Smile was never completed.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 08:57:50 PM »

Pet Sounds.

HOWEVER: If this were BWPS vs Pet Sounds I don't think I could participate in the poll - it would be a tie.

My one gripe with TSS version is its LENGTH. It's just too long to enjoy, imo. I really enjoy BWPS because all the songs are finished and they truly take you on a journey. I can't really listen to TSS version all the way through without getting kinda bored - the missing vocals just kill the vibe in a lot of the songs.

btw, I think Mark did an amazing job with this set and I think we all owe him a lot of thanks for his hard work!

I agree and disagree. It's not the length itself so much as the *sequencing* which makes it feel longer than it really is.

To answer the poll, I said Pet Sounds. HOWEVER that's only because you're comparing it to TSS Disc 1, which in my humble opinion, is a well meaning but misguided, haphazard mess which doesn't do the material justice. I bought TSS boxset and it's literally one of my most prized posessions. But listening to Disc 1 the first time was a monumental disappointment.

Without going into too much detail, my gripes with this mix are:

-H&V sounds kinda "messy." Most fan mixes and bootlegs I've heard sequence this track a lot better, and it's just a bit too long for my tastes. I love H&Vs, but some versions of it wear out their welcome and drag on, and this is one of them. I hate the way it ends especially. Just...very anticlimactic.

-All the fragmentary, unfinished, flow-killing "feels" at the beginning cause the album to lose all momentum. I always find newcomers to SMiLE getting bored at this point. Yeah, Barnyard and OMP are nice, but they should've been left on the outtakes discs, not in the now-official cut of the album.

-Wonderful, Look and CIFOTM don't flow into one another as the could/should. CIFOTM is too short for all the beautiful outtakes recorded for it. The fly-ins for Look are distracting, underwhelming and unnecessary. If you couldn't find the lost vocal session, just keep it an instrumental.

-Surf's Up's emotional power is completely lost when the absurd, humorous Vega-Tables comes so soon after. It's like the beginning of a whole seperate album and not in a good way.

-I didn't mind, but I can see why people dislike the Whispering Winds fly-ins.

-Why leave Cool, cool water off if you include I Wanna Be Around? Why not put Workshop after Fire if you insist on including it at all? Why fly in vocals for Dada but not the flutes from Second Day?

-Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I hate GV as an album closer.

-Overall, and this is the biggest complaint I have, why follow the BWPS sequence at all? It worked for a triumphant live show in BWPS, where they could rewrite sections of the old songs to make it work. But it just doesn't do the studio material from '67 any justice. We've come to accept the BWPS Tracklisting as more or less set in stone at this point. I think this is a grave mistake, and an insult to SMiLE and its endless possibilities. I appreciate the work that went into the boxset, and how hard it mustve been...but I cannot think of any justification for using the BWPS order other than apathy, laziness and blind following tradition.

So, while SMiLE is my favorite project from any artist, and has become almost an obsession these past five years since I first heard it...if it's between Pet Sounds and the butchered TSS Disc 1 SMiLE...I pick Pet Sounds. It's a hauntingly beautiful, tightly focused album.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:02:00 PM by Mujan » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2014, 09:53:32 PM »

Pet Sounds reigned as my favorite album of all time, and I anticipated that that would never change.

Then The SMiLE Sessions happened.

I get tired of Pet Sounds; I don't tire of SMiLE.  I really like the modular approach they took in writing/recording SMiLE--love how musical themes pop in and out throughout.  All-in-all, I actually think SMiLE (as it's put together on TSS) is a more cohesive album both musically and lyrically than Pet sounds.  Lastly, I just think the music/lyrics float my boat in regards to my preferences.

...However, "Wouldn't It Be Nice" still reigns as my favorite song of all time.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 05:44:51 AM »

Pet Sounds----if only because I prefer Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE to TSS.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2014, 09:34:21 AM »

Hmmm. A complete classic compared with a Set of fragments. Hard to pick but, Pet Sounds was finished unlike the original 1966 Smile Sessions which I love too.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2014, 05:42:29 PM »

Pet sounds is winning so I will go with Pet Sounds.  Wink

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx