gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681637 Posts in 27651 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 23, 2024, 03:15:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Fantasy is Reality" mid 90s outtake just posted on Brian's facebook.  (Read 12474 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »

Didn't know there was an outtake for this.  I don't think that's what he meant for the title of the thread. I picked up the Trios CD and that same issue of Pulse at Tower Records back then and enjoyed that article.

I've always loved that song. One of Carnie's finest moments. Just a great vocal!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:19:31 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jason
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »

I think to most of the Brianista crowd, if it's not on one of the major albums it's considered an "outtake".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »

I doubt it's a Brian-ista thing as much as it is newer fans joining in. There are bound to be many items which would be "new" to someone who hasn't been involved in it as long as others. That was why I scanned that Pulse article from '94 - to clear up any misunderstandings, any wrong information, any speculations, any outright falsehoods that may surround that track, including considering it an outtake which I believe was a term only used mistakenly because of unfamiliarity with the song or the original project, from '94. No big deal, no "Brianista" stuff at work here, as long as everyone is on the same page.

The Pulse sidebar piece clears it all up, for future history and whatnot.

I actually miss Pulse magazine, I used to look forward to getting it free at Tower. It was good for that time.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »

As far as killing my other thread and combining it with this one, do what you please I guess: That's fine for organization, but why not also correct the title of this one to remove the impression that the song is in any way an outtake? The purpose of scanning and posting it in another thread was to correct any misunderstandings and get the facts on the song out there and archived for future use on this board, direct from the source minus the speculation.

Or not, I really don't care either way, just commenting on seeing the other thread disappear.

(I'd like to make more than a few nonsensical threads disappear from the board myself, but I'll refrain from getting specific.  Grin )

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 01:30:25 PM »

I think to most of the Brianista crowd, if it's not on one of the major albums it's considered an "outtake".

I don't think that's necessarily true - he has several albums worth of songs that aren't on on of his official joints. This one is not as talked about, not as common, and doesn't feature a Brian vocal. More people are bound to know not of it, more so than say, "What Love Can Do" or "This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »

Maybe I do care after all because I didn't take the time to find the article, scan the article at a high resolution, edit the image, clip and fix it, upload it onto a photo host, create a new thread for it, write a few lines about it, and post it here to have it lost on the bottom of page one in a thread that exists under a factually incorrect title and premise, and has several incorrect points that the article clears up.

So let me voice that I disagree with the moderator(s) on this decision to choose where these threads appear or don't appear, and in this case maybe a better decision would be to leave it as-is, especially considering the number of duplicate and repeat-topic threads, not to mention the other stuff that clogs up this fine board and isn't worth mentioning.

My 2 cents.  Smiley

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 01:58:17 PM »

I don't think that's necessarily true - he has several albums worth of songs that aren't on on of his official joints. This one is not as talked about, not as common, and doesn't feature a Brian vocal. More people are bound to know not of it, more so than say, "What Love Can Do" or "This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight".

I'll bet you any sum you like that there's an very audible Brian Wilson vocal on the track in question. ANY. SUM. And I will win.

Seriously, when people post such complete nonsense, is it any wonder some of us get a trifle irked ?  Have you actually listened to the song, recently or at all ?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:59:59 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »

Jason knows that.  He just likes to stir the sh!t.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »

Guitarfool's attention to detail is unsurpassed on this board.   In fact, you could call him an "Unsurpassed Master" at detailed analysis here.  Huh huh huh huh huh.                     Huh.   Cheesy

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 02:15:20 PM »

EDIT: Damn, it didn't appear large enough onscreen to read, sorry: Here is the direct link, just click on it or copy and paste it, you'll see it full-sized:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n295/guitarfool2002/fantasyisrealitysession.jpg

Best quote from this: "I knew right away which parts my father had written. It's that chord thing I've heard in my head since I was born."

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 02:16:40 PM »

Jason knows that.  He just likes to stir the sh!t.  Grin

I'm a fan. It's a personal goal of mine to spread the information!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 02:22:59 PM »

I'll bet you any sum you like that there's an very audible Brian Wilson vocal on the track in question. ANY. SUM. And I will win.

Seriously, when people post such complete nonsense, is it any wonder some of us get a trifle irked ?  Have you actually listened to the song, recently or at all ?

Andrew,

Yes, I have heard the song, and recently.

I think you misunderstood what I meant, and that is mostly my fault. I don't think the song FEATURES a Brian vocal. He sounds more like a 'special guest'. He is surely audible, especially in the chorus and the Clangin' bit at the end. It has some of his trademark thing going on, but then again, most of everything he has a hand in does. As opposed to the other tracks, in which he was a lead vocal running all through them. Again, sorry, my bad.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 03:57:25 PM »

There was also a spread in People magazine about this. Brian looked even worse in it. Apparently, at the time, he had a phone booth in his house (like a Doctor Who style thing) that he used as a hiding place.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:01:36 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 03:58:20 PM »

... and here it is!

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20108073,00.html

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:01:01 PM by Wirestone » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 05:09:51 PM »

I doubt it's a Brian-ista thing as much as it is newer fans joining in. There are bound to be many items which would be "new" to someone who hasn't been involved in it as long as others.

Yeah, obviously. This was new to all of us at some point, right? (I think a lot of it is still new to me at times  Grin)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »

"Clangin'", which is another song entirely based on the "I'm The Pied Piper" riff"

Is this track in circulation?  If so, if someone could tell me which boot it's on I would appreciate it.

It doesn't circulate.

Ah, too bad...  I love that riff.  Thanks though!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 10:29:20 PM »

The "Clang-ding-dangin'" round at the end owes much to the still unreleased "Clang" from late 1975 (but not "Clangin'", which is another song entirely based on the "I'm The Pied Piper" riff" - still with me ?). Sounds a bit like something from TLOS, no ?

Wait. So let's get this right, once and for all.

"Clang" has the "clang-ding-dangin" thing. This is from 1975.
"Clangin'" has the "I'm The Pied Piper" riff and "mow-mama-yama". This is from 1974, and was worked on again in 1976.

Correct?

There was also a spread in People magazine about this. Brian looked even worse in it. Apparently, at the time, he had a phone booth in his house (like a Doctor Who style thing) that he used as a hiding place.

I think he looks pretty good in the People article. However, I do think he looked a little too big in a shot in the studio with Van Dyke and (I think) Larry Waronker.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2012, 12:20:02 AM »

The "Clang-ding-dangin'" round at the end owes much to the still unreleased "Clang" from late 1975 (but not "Clangin'", which is another song entirely based on the "I'm The Pied Piper" riff" - still with me ?). Sounds a bit like something from TLOS, no ?

"Clangin'" has the "I'm The Pied Piper" riff and "mow-mama-yama". This is from 1974, and was worked on again in 1976.

Correct?

Not exactly... "Clang" is the "mow-mama-yama-holy-hallelujah" chant (vide the 1976 Rolling Stone David Fenton mega-article, the one with Brian on the cover w/bathrobe & surfboard. Moses Wilson). Otherwise, yes, and my source defines the word "impeccable".

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2012, 12:43:37 AM »

Correct?

Not exactly... "Clang" is the "mow-mama-yama-holy-hallelujah" chant (vide the 1976 Rolling Stone David Fenton mega-article, the one with Brian on the cover w/bathrobe & surfboard. Moses Wilson). Otherwise, yes, and my source defines the word "impeccable".

From what you gather, are these tracks release-worthy & worth hearing someday? Other than the fact that anything Shortenin Bread/BW related is epic.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2012, 01:58:07 AM »

The likes of us would find them interesting, but Joe Q. Public... not. That said, "Teeter-Totter Love" got released !

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2012, 05:02:03 AM »

He does not look terrible to me. In fact, I think he was bigger by the time of the Summer of Love video.
BTW, doesn't that PM issue feature also an article on David Marks? There was one around those days.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2012, 05:14:13 AM »

You're thinking of "B-side", which most folks mistakenly apply to literally anything that's not on an album anymore. Actual B-side, compilation track, demo, rough mix, released, leaked online, completely unreleased and unheard - all are "B-sides" now. I actually had an edit war on Wikipedia over a guy insisting some common deluxe edition bonus tracks were B-sides, saying it was an "industry term" for any song not on an album. I had to let it go due to the guy's insistence on policing this page and dozens of others. I can't compete with that kind of passion.  It was a good time and I recommend everyone here try it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2012, 08:26:51 AM »

When Carnie says she has the same piano playing style as her father, she ain't kidding. Back in 1986 I watched her play (on the sandbox piano) at Marilyn's house, and it was eerie/scary: same 'stance', same tilt of the head, same sideways look. Not like Brian - it was Brian.

adloc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2012, 09:20:09 AM »

When Carnie says she has the same piano playing style as her father, she ain't kidding. Back in 1986 I watched her play (on the sandbox piano) at Marilyn's house, and it was eerie/scary: same 'stance', same tilt of the head, same sideways look. Not like Brian - it was Brian.

Blimey Shocked Shocked It's gone very quiet
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2012, 10:33:08 AM »

Has it ever been explained why her name is Carnie?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx