gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:41:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Record Store Day 'Black Friday' 2012 Release UPDATE: Photos of Product!  (Read 13207 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:51:39 AM »

This appears to be the 'Surfin' Safari' 10" we found a while ago, but it apperntly includes 'their latest single' too - is it TWGMTR or IIT though?

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/5697

EDIT: Scroll down for post with Photos
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:53:40 AM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:59:41 AM »

Well spotted!

Here's the gen:

2X10"
Beach Boys
Surfin'/That's Why God Made the Radio
Double 10" gate fold of their first single "Surfin'(TBC)" and current single "That's Why God Made The Radio"
$14.99
5,000 copies worldwide
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:05:18 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:11:29 AM »

Well spotted!

Here's the gen:

2X10"
Beach Boys
Double 10" gate fold of their first single "Surfin'(TBC)" and current single "That's Why God Made The Radio"
$14.99
5,000 copies worldwide

Image seems to show Surfin' Safari/409 on the front, and it would have been nice to have had had IIT single version on vinyl, but TWGMTR will do. Unless IIT is the B-Side...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:13:20 AM »

I may have to look for that just for the surf-themed Pee Chee folder cover.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:26:34 AM »

Well spotted!

Here's the gen:

2X10"
Beach Boys
$14.99
5,000 copies worldwide

Image seems to show Surfin' Safari/409 on the front, and it would have been nice to have had had IIT single version on vinyl, but TWGMTR will do. Unless IIT is the B-Side...

Does RSD hold Black Friday in the UK?

UncleStalin
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »

Another release of TWGMTR, just what the world needs.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 09:54:41 AM »

Well spotted!

Here's the gen:

2X10"
Beach Boys
$14.99
5,000 copies worldwide

Does RSD hold Black Friday in the UK?

They did last year

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 09:56:04 AM »

Looks very cool..

I'll get myself a copy

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »

So there's a Record Store Day the day after Thanksgiving in the U.S.?

I'm there!   Gotta Gittit!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 12:25:02 PM »

It says it's "Isn't it Time" on the link, not sure if that was a later addition though.

""10" 180 gram vinyl in gatefold sleeve with their first ever single "Surfin' Safari", and their latest single "Isn't It Time""
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:32:54 PM by MaxL » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »

Wierd combination.    Should be Surfin'/Surfin' Safari     or    That's Why God Made The Radio/Isn't It Time.

Second thought, they're catching the first and last (most recent) single.

Duh.....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:41:49 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »

This is really confusing. On the site it just says Surfin' Safari now.

On an unrelated note Record Store Day just pretty much confirmed there is a 40th anniversary edition of Aladdin Sane coming out, which is awesome for me because the Ziggy 40th was stellar.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 01:58:51 PM »

This is really confusing. On the site it just says Surfin' Safari now.

On an unrelated note Record Store Day just pretty much confirmed there is a 40th anniversary edition of Aladdin Sane coming out, which is awesome for me because the Ziggy 40th was stellar.

Aw thank you! YOU're stellar
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 08:45:01 PM »

This appears to be the 'Surfin' Safari' 10" we found a while ago, but it apperntly includes 'their latest single' too - is it TWGMTR or IIT though?

The record sleeve or cover is a take on a 'folder' that you bought in high school back in the 60's or 70's. It featured school athletics or something similar. Very common or popular at that time. I want to say that it was made by 'Leaf' or some other company. I 'm sure someone out there recognizes the design.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 09:01:13 PM »

Instead of a Record Player, Surfer, and Hot Rod you had a Football Player, Base Ball Player and some other athletic player on the original 'folder'.

Very cool! Capital Records continues to impress! Let's get the next BB album made! Rock 'n Roll Baby!  w00t!
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 10:19:17 PM »

The record sleeve or cover is a take on a 'folder' that you bought in high school back in the 60's or 70's. It featured school athletics or something similar. Very common or popular at that time. I want to say that it was made by 'Leaf' or some other company. I 'm sure someone out there recognizes the design.

Made by Mead. Pee-Chee Folders.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 11:15:48 PM »

Pee Chee folders was a great cheat sheet for "times tables" back in elementary school, since it had a set printed inside the folder.  It went all the way up to 12 x 12. I was so disappointed when I spent time as a substitute teacher and found out that modern kids only memorize times tables up to the number 10.  Maybe it's just harder for their little brains because they don't have Pee Chee folders anymore (at least not commonly, though I've read Mead tried selling them again a few years ago to nostalgic adults).  I also remember having fun doodling names and speech balloons on the athletes.  It's such a fond memory that I may buy this for the sleeve, to heck with the record.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 05:56:03 AM »

It says it's "Isn't it Time" on the link, not sure if that was a later addition though.

""10" 180 gram vinyl in gatefold sleeve with their first ever single "Surfin' Safari", and their latest single "Isn't It Time""

And now it doesn't. Make up your minds RSD Roll Eyes
mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »

Bull Moose is now confirming that the BBs release is a single 10" in a gatefold sleeve. Tracks are Surfin' Safari b/w "Isn't It Time.

Johnston65, where are you seeing info regarding the 40th anniversary edition of Aladdin Sane? I'm assuming this will be out next year?
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »

Bull Moose is now confirming that the BBs release is a single 10" in a gatefold sleeve. Tracks are Surfin' Safari b/w "Isn't It Time.

Johnston65, where are you seeing info regarding the 40th anniversary edition of Aladdin Sane? I'm assuming this will be out next year?

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/5700

In the info it states: "7" picture disc in advance of the 40th Anniversary reissue of Aladdin Sane."

So it is technically announced which gets me more pumped than the Beach Boys single honestly.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 03:06:24 PM »

This list has more detail than the RSD site's list but differs to what some folk have found.

http://www.recordsmithpa.com/id177.html

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 04:46:18 AM »

Well, my pre-order came today! Sounds great (plays at 33 1/3 - was expecting 45)

Side one is Surfin' Safari and 409, side 2 Isn't It Time (Single Mix) and From There To Back Again

Great early live photo of the band in the gatefold, and a very comedic drawing of the present day band in the old 'fists on chins' shot position.

And as some of you said - " Design inspired by Mead Products LLC + Pee-Chee Brand Portfolios"

Interesting Point - inside the gatefold it says 'From HERE To Back Again' - back cover has the correct spelling.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:52:05 AM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 07:21:20 AM »

Well, my pre-order came today! Sounds great (plays at 33 1/3 - was expecting 45)

Side one is Surfin' Safari and 409, side 2 Isn't It Time (Single Mix) and From There To Back Again

Great early live photo of the band in the gatefold, and a very comedic drawing of the present day band in the old 'fists on chins' shot position.

And as some of you said - " Design inspired by Mead Products LLC + Pee-Chee Brand Portfolios"

Interesting Point - inside the gatefold it says 'From HERE To Back Again' - back cover has the correct spelling.

Pre-Order?  From whom?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 07:53:46 AM »

VERY nice. Gotta get one!

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »

Pre-Order?  From whom?

Recordstore.co.uk

http://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordstore/recordstore/Surfin-Safari/11LFW0000000?back=search.html%3Fterm%3Dbeach%2Bboys

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx