-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:59:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The "Complimentary" thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "Complimentary" thread  (Read 67581 times)
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2018, 10:01:30 AM »

1. I find that the girl looks a lot like me, minus the coloring and and dramatic eyebrows. So, she is kind of pretty in a fat-faced kind of way. She
    looks in her eyes a bit too young to be presented in this way.
2. Fashion-wise, perhaps the 1840s?
3. Girl - age 16; guy - age 30
4. Guy looks like his right eye is turned inward a bit, I'm thinking due to the fact that he is peering into such a narrow opening.
5. Agree, guy looks like a tool, leering in where the girl expects privacy.
6. The girl looks like she is thinking, "What a douche, but some men are like this, so I am a bit amused."
     The guy looks kind of desperate.
7. If I were the guy, I would not peer into her door because I would want to be respectful. I would immediately dump the guy if I were the girl.
8. If I saw a young girl dressed like that, I would tell her that she is beautiful, but ask her if she wants to be viewed primarily as sexual in this
     situation and if not, to consider putting on a wrap.
9.  I like the painting because the facial expressions and placement of the subjects provoke a lot of inferences on the part of the viewer.
10. If I were the guy's best friend I would tell him that what he was doing is very uncool.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2018, 01:02:56 AM »

Jolly good. Everybody who answers agrees with 5th question: the guy looks like tool. It's "Date" by K. Makovsky, Year: 1866. Brother V. Makovsky painter as well.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2018, 05:32:11 AM »

Does this artist do a lot of painting of this type (in which the human subjects are rich with psycho-social possibilities)? I could use this and similar paintings in my social studies class to introduce certain topics/elicit discussion. A few years ago, I was in a pizzeria with my three sons, then in their early twenties. Above us was a photograph from around the 1940s, looked like southern Italy or Sicily. A young woman was walking on the street by a half-dozen or so men of all ages. What at first looked so innocent was chilling when one looked at the faces, especially eyes, of the subject.s . I was so proud of one son who pointed it  out to me . The other two agreed that it was "rapey" an wondered if the proprietor had this in mind or just never noticed the look of suppressed  terror in the woman's eyes, the look of unabashed "you're a thing" in the eyes of the men.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2018, 05:58:45 PM »

This painter's work is big & diverse but usually things I see by Makovsky is rich/ well-known figures' portraits. It's fun to study pictures. You've got well-bred sons. Check book thread, answered cool questions you raised.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 06:29:15 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2018, 08:12:13 PM »

Would like to compliment cool threads titled "Al Jardine Appreciation". 3D

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2018, 03:20:25 PM »

Sylvester Stallone
Edie Adams
"Police Academy" cast (save few)
Perry Como
Eydie Gorme & Steve Lawrence
Stephen King
Larry Grogan, best blogger
Beach Boys (except Bruce)
Mozart
Mick Jagger
Charlie Watts
Ron Wood
Audrey Hepburn
Nico, great voice
Prishvin, best writer about animals
California
San Francisco
Chopin
chocolate, best dessert
orange

To list few things/ people to topic subject.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2018, 04:33:36 PM »

OK! What is your favorite dessert? I have to cheat and claim two.

One is Strawberry Shortcake made with real shortcake, hot and fresh out of the oven. (Too many people in the US just put berries on white cake and pretend it's strawberry shortcake, but they lie. Those Welsh and Scottish ladies know how to do it right.) My mom used to make it in the summer when there were ripe berries in our backyard. Cut them up, add some sugar. Put the berries and liquid that forms with the sugar on the cake and let the liquid soak in for a minute or two. Top with whipped heavy cream and eat until you can't move.

Dessert #2: Key Lime Pie made the easy way, with a bottle of key lime juice (found, I think, only in the Florida Keys, islands off of the southern coast of Florida.) Whip up with eggs and sweetened condensed milk, add a bit of the zest of a lime by grating the green part of the peel. Pour into graham cracker crust, which is just as good purchased pre-made at the store. Bake, cool, then glob on either meringue or whipped cream. Dear God, the taste and textures are so tantalizing that it is difficult to stop eating. Making matters worse, it never makes one feel full.

Now, top this!!!!!!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2018, 07:26:39 AM »

To tell the truth, favoring foods doesn't make sense. Even candies & chocolate that me & many people like. Smb. who isn't blessed with good appetite will not answer favorite food question. F.ex. I.
Shall say few niceties towards people living in the world who may not realize, nor suspect they're really jolly good. Stupid as it may look like, since I didn't meet these people. Next!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »

Smb. who invented pen which the other side erases written is genius. It's been really useful irl. F.ex. when write down signature, it usually isn't 100% right, few mistakes. But with such useful pen, it's possible to recapture whilst not wasting paper which can be real chore.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2019, 02:27:24 PM »

Whatever happened to Buckethead? I liked her.  Smiley

Anyway, I'd like to compliment someone I've come to know rather well on their incredible care and concern for others on this planet. This is something I myself can only dream of. Roll Eyes

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2019, 04:10:19 PM »

You mean supermetroid. Yes, enjoyed talking with Buckethead, cool dialogs to boot. Don't know where is she but she said in thread she's teacher. Self-explanatory perhaps.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2019, 05:58:39 AM »

You mean supermetroid. Yes, enjoyed talking with Buckethead, cool dialogs to boot. Don't know where is she but she said in thread she's teacher. Self-explanatory perhaps.

I missed this! Yes I do. 

Maybe Buckethead is too busy with work, as you say. Being a teacher explains why she was such a good conversationalist. Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2019, 05:14:02 AM »

You mean supermetroid.

Talking of whom, her own "Complimentary Thread" post across the road (actually across a bridge I recently burnt) was the most wonderful way of taking her leave. Billy and Craig are among the online people she addressed in friendly terms. And she said cool things about you, RR. Wink

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2019, 09:42:37 AM »

Will sing praises to fave tea shop which got the best delicious tea - with pitahaya, apple (hate fruit), cinnamon flavor mixture. When it ends, I just say "Get it again", they do it without fail. THAT is what you dub "perfect attitude". Thanks, folks. 3D

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2019, 01:15:41 AM »

Singing praise to Daiana, dear dwarf friend - she agreed to join travel to U.S., SF. Would be nice to bring cat too. But he stays with Sonya. Daiana paid money to buy her ticket. I don't pay smb. else's ticket.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2019, 11:28:34 PM »

I'd like to praise juggler, the Smiley Smile fellow BBs fan, for stepping to the instagram thread & entirely transcribe it - with ease. Nobody did, esp. you'd think Amy B., thread creator would do it but instead, she merely states go to Brian's instagram when I believe I'd written in plain English that instagram generally is INACCESSIBLE thru mobile. Many thanks towards juggler - in times when everybody keeps silence, at least single human being actually is being friendly & thoughtful, generous in giving help to anybody like I who may get BLANK SPACE when checking instagram links (VEEEEEERY INconvenient site, yet it's POPULAR!! Stupidity!).

It's good to read what people did hear/see, i.e. catch up with everybody. Since I'm fan, I must know what the other fans know. Duh. In short - thank you again! :D

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2019, 03:17:33 AM »

I'd like to pay a big compliment to aeijtsche for unlocking a door for me that I thought would be locked for ever--the door to Baroque music. Thank you, JH. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: