gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:07:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: mike and bruce in biloxi - preliminary report  (Read 8169 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 08:19:08 AM »

We are ?  Well hot damn, who knew ?
... that's just sad, AGD.

He was joking.

But yeah...lately there's been a lot of negativity and nastiness.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 09:47:40 AM »

(saw them in Eugene, OR in July...Amazing)

Well make your mind up - was it Eugene or July ? Matters to some of us.  Razz

Haha.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:48:58 AM by RBennett123 » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 10:50:34 AM »

Now this thread is the perfect mix of official information, self righteous indignation and sarcasm.

What did Doug (Dinsdale) do?

He used... sarcasm. He knew all the tricks...puns, parody, metaphors, dramatic irony. He was vicious.

Why can't John Cleese tour with the Beach Boys?

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 10:53:35 AM »

Why can't John Cleese tour with the Beach Boys?

Not enough profit to pay for his divorce settlement. He prefers a lean and mean touring setup with less overhead. Plus, Stamos keeps talking about how he really loves Fawlty Towers... freakin' incessantly. I get that he's a big fan of John Cleese and it's every Python fan's dream to be on stage with him, but... geez.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:55:51 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 11:22:31 AM »

Just want to say that I think the setlist in the first post is actually pretty decent. Yeah, it has its hits, but it certainly isn't exclusively Top 40, right?  It's not any "worse" than Brian's Dallas show.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 01:31:57 PM »

I wish Brian would do more of his solo songs on his solo tours, and less of the hits. In recent years, the setlists for his shows and M&B shows have been very similar.  It's different when he has an album to promote, but when he does the oldies shows it's usually not as good.
Agreed.
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 02:14:42 PM »

I thought it strange to see Brian playing a buncha hits without Mike, Bruce, Alan & David the other day. Just sayin'.

Not so weird. They're his songs.

Sarcasm not your strong suit, huh ?  Smiley

I read so much ridiculous crap on this board that I've started to take everyone literally.
Jason
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2012, 02:55:35 PM »

This board really gets on my nerves this past week.
It really is a disgrace, and takes much of the fun out of the whole fan message board experience (at least for me).
When SmileySmile is at the top of its game as a message board it's f*ckin' brilliant (great discussions, on the spot with new information, inside scoops, special guests, funny users etc.)... but then again, at times, it's downright nasty. We're better than this, guys.

You clearly never lurked Male Ego back in the glory days. We're nowhere near as bad. Although...half of the reason no one really took Male Ego's exceedingly rough atmosphere all that seriously was because so many of the posts were by "Guest", or some variant thereof.

I don't think this board is nasty at all except for situations when THAT guy has the opinion that goes against the grain. I've said it before and will say it again. Can't take the heat? Get out of the kitchen. We're all fans and we all have very strong opinions.
mcgrupp
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »

The show was fun and I love the music enough to have a great time no matter who performs it.  The 50th shows meant more to me than just "having fun" though where I went in to this one w a different level of intensity, expectation etc. in spite of it being an unpopular opinion, I do like Mike's stage presence and he has the lead on a bunch of my favorite cuts so it still had value for me as a fan.  They mentioned Dennis before Forever (I think it was Mike who said something) and Bruce mentioned Carl before God Only Knows.  Brian was only mentioned once in a quick statement about the early days where Mike briefly said something about "Brian Dennis and Carl."  Nothing was said about the 50th tour, Al or Marks.

I don't think many people there were looking for an artistic performance or critiquing anything too closely but there were definitely people who knew most of the music.  Whether or not the show was technically sold out, there were about 20% of the seats left unfilled, some up front.  In fact, about 5 minutes into the show an usher asked me if I wanted to move up and I got promoted from maybe the 40th row to the 3rd.

Mike featured Stamos almost more than Bruce.  If you didn't know better you could have thought "the beach boys" consisted of mike and Stamos and that Bruce was just a hired hand.  Musically they hold their own.  I like Scott and Cowsill a lot.  It was also a lot clearer who was doing what vocally compared to the 50th w so many vocal contributions.  That said it was odd seeing Bruce sing lead on some cuts and even stranger seeing Christian Love take leads.

Barely anyone was dancing although lots of people were smiling and singing along.  There were a fair amount of kids in the audience and gradually they need up on the floor at the foot of the stage. It was actually pretty cool, they were holding the mics out during Barbara Ann and then they brought a bunch of them on stage for surfin USA.  Mile and Bruce probably signed about 4-5 autographs each during the set.

I think Mike and Bruce recognized me from London bc I was really close both nights for those shows.  if i missed anything in the setlist, it would have been something pretty standard.  nothing really surprised me re: song selection. they didn't play any of twgmtr.  Guessing the chord changes were too much for some of the guys to learn so quickly.

The instrumentation was clearly much more basic than summer.. No flutes or elaborate percussion or brass etc.  The energy was pretty good by the end of the set up front.  I was happy enough w the track list although its a pet peeve when bands only do one long set.

Overall it was a fun show in driving distance from my house.  I give Mike credit for keeping the band going post-carl and when Brian couldn't it wouldn't  but overall I kept thinking that if Brian wants to lead this ship again, it would be a tragedy to not keep it going (after mikes commitments are through).

The main lineup and backing musicians can make the difference between something "fun" and nostalgic, and something more interesting artistically and even historic..  Kids singing and jumping around w Stamos vs our prayer for example..

I see Scott posting pictures of RAH on his Facebook and somehow I doubt he is going to post photos of these shows. It would be different if Brian wanted to stay away from it all but apparently he doesn't.  Ideally I hope they do this for awhile while Brian works on that rock and roll album.  After a fantastic summer it seems greedy to want more from them all, but boy it feels like it could work.

Sorry for long post/errors I wrote this out really quickly.  Let me know if you have any questions and ill post some photos later.

Final point... Bruce.. Why no Disney girls?
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 02:15:08 PM »

It's really bizarre to have this experience so close after coming home from the UK.  Ill post some thoughts and pics tomorrow I guess.  Here's the list I may have missed one somewhere:

Bit that interests me is just how much of this is straight from the reunion setlist, just with chunks dropped right out:

Do it Again
Little Honda
Catch a wave
Hawaii
Surf City
Surfin safari
Surfer girl

...The opening batch is identical to the show in Sydney, with the exception of "Surf City" instead of "Don't Back Down"...

Don't worry baby
Little deuce coup
shut you down
get around

...and then we jump straight to the last five numbers of the first set.

ballad of old Betsy
Getcha back
Be true to your school
Fools
When I grow up to be a man

Five tracks which fell in the middle of the first set, slightly rearranged...

Forever
God only knows
Sloop
wouldn't it be nice
Cali girls
Kissed her
Good vibrations

...and a very familiar combination from the second set, with "And Then I Kissed Her" moved in from the first.

Kokomo
Rhonda
Rock and roll music
Do you wanna dance
Barbara Ann
surfin usa

Aside from moving "Kokomo" up, this is a familiar finale run...

summertime blues
fun fun fun

..and "Summertime Blues" is the only other real departure from the setlist we got before.

Basically, it just struck me how much this is a reunion setlist with chunks from the middle of each set scratched out!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 04:00:40 PM »

Basically, it just struck me how much this is a reunion setlist with chunks from the middle of each set scratched out!

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Yeah. The reunion set was structured *exactly* like Mike's band's longer sets. See for example this set from 2008 -- http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/2008/manchester-apollo-manchester-england-bdd395a.html . There was a lot of talk during the tour about how Mike was in charge of the setlists, and the structure of the show bears that out. The structure of his shows is always basically start off with Do It Again, followed by a long medley of surf and car songs, all the Little Honda/Hawaii/Don't Back Down stuff, then Surfer Girl and first break to talk to the audience. You then have a mix of 50s cover versions, album tracks and the odd rarity before Betsy and the car medley. Second half starts with California Dreaming and one or more Pet Sounds tracks, before going into a quiet bit with In My Room and a few other 'arty' songs, then the standard ending.

It's a pattern that works very well, and allows for an audience that came wanting the hits to sit through quite a few rarities without getting bored, because there's never too long to wait for another hit and all the crucial points at the starts and ends of each set are crammed full of crowd-pleasers, so you come out thinking *everything* was a crowd-pleaser.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »

Every time I saw Mike & Bruce they opened with California Girls.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 11:13:47 AM »

I know that's the 'canonical' opening, but I've not seen them open with it since Adrian Baker was in the band. Of the shows I've seen, the ones in 2001 and 2003 opened with Cal. Girls, while those in 2004, 2008 and 2011 all opened with Do It Again. Apparently in the US recently they'd also opened with Surfin' occasionally.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 11:52:33 AM »

Yes, in 2010 (and maybe also 2009?), they opened with Surfin. Actually the concert started with the song being played from the record and a dark stage and then the band took the stage and picked up the song as lights went on IIRC. I believe that this caused a reviewer (in Australia?) to believe - wrongly -  that the group was lip syncing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 12:09:59 PM »

Yes, in 2010 (and maybe also 2009?), they opened with Surfin. Actually the concert started with the song being played from the record and a dark stage and then the band took the stage and picked up the song as lights went on IIRC. I believe that this caused a reviewer (in Australia?) to believe - wrongly -  that the group was lip syncing.

Same idea that Brian opened his Roxy-album with ("The litle girl I once knew"-session outtakes). I like that very much. Here's an example from June 2011:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrWCC3ioPLU

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »

I believe that this caused a reviewer (in Australia?) to believe - wrongly -  that the group was lip syncing.

I've seen reviewers claim that the lead vocals were pre-recorded once or twice. I think the reason is actually that it's hard to tell who's singing lead if you're not up close (and especially if you're watching from above at a theatre show) -- Mike, Bruce, Christian and Randell all wear baseball caps that cast shadows over their faces, while John Cowsill's hair covers his face for much of the time.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 02:48:08 PM »

I know that's the 'canonical' opening, but I've not seen them open with it since Adrian Baker was in the band. Of the shows I've seen, the ones in 2001 and 2003 opened with Cal. Girls, while those in 2004, 2008 and 2011 all opened with Do It Again. Apparently in the US recently they'd also opened with Surfin' occasionally.

forget about the Surfin' intro. yes, I think three times I saw them open with California Girls and twice with Surfin'. all after Baker left.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »

The Love's host a little celebratory dinner after Saturdays show at the Beau Rivage to celebrate 2 nights sold out shows in Biloxi.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx