gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:26:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love dedicated his career to being a jerk  (Read 24049 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »

I don't know how any songwriter, especially someone who is primarily a lyricist, could support that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »

Especially one who wrote "Still Cruisin", a song about cruisin for prostitutes

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2012, 04:06:37 PM »

I thought it was about Al Pacino and fists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrQHNyXJIHo
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:08:21 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »

Especially one who wrote "Still Cruisin", a song about cruisin for prostitutes
LOL, Never thought about that song like that. But now that you mention it, Mike was single in the late 1980s so I think he was cruisin for hookers.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2012, 04:17:59 PM »

HAIKU:

getting tired

oh so very tired

of the idiotic Mike bashing

meh

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2012, 04:33:57 PM »

Regarding Mike's thoughts on Pet Sounds, according to Tony Asher himself Mike wasn't particularly fond of it and told Brian "not to **** with the formula."  That doesn't mean he tried to sabotage it, and indeed he has some great vocal parts on the record, and one of the songs that he was involved in writing ("I'm Waiting for the Day") is one of my favorites on the album.  His dislike of the album is probably exaggerated in some circles, but the rumors didn't come from nowhere.

I don't think it's that complicated. As someone wrote earlier, Mike is not an artist, he's an entertainer, and it's not like he ever tried to keep that a secret. Brian wants to create art, Mike wants to sell a product. And from his commercial point of view, the way I suppose he saw it, it's understandable that he wasn't too sure if releasing this entire new product (Pet Sounds) was a smart move for the company that he co-owned (The Beach Boys). But that doesn't necessarily say anything about his personal opinion about the album as a work of art. If he says he loves it, than I have no reason to not believe him.

The account that Carlin gives in Catch a Wave suggests that Mike both disliked the album and thought it wouldn't sell well.  He was hardly the only one (according to the same book, Al, Dennis, and Nik Venet also voiced objections, and the album's poor initial sales in the U.S. suggests that American listeners were also not so enthusiastic about it) so there once again seems to be a double standard at work, since you don't frequently read accounts of the Beach Boys' history depicting any of those people as villains.  I also happen to be of the opinion that Terry Sachen's lyrics to "Hang On to Your Ego"/"I Know There's An Answer" are the worst thing about Pet Sounds, and they were also probably Mike's biggest complaint.  Still, the evidence seems to be that he was something less than a champion of the album, at least when it first came out.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »

Wait, the book lists Dennis as an objector? Don't most accounts say Dennis was one of its biggest supporters from the get-go?

Also, Mike's opinion of Pet Sounds seemed to turn around right quick just a couple years later. I wish I could find the particular article, but I think it was from '69 and he's basically complaining that Capitol didn't give a sh*t enough to promote it and that he thought it was a pretty good album.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »

Also, Mike's opinion of Pet Sounds seemed to turn around right quick just a couple years later. I wish I could find the particular article, but I think it was from '69 and he's basically complaining that Capitol didn't give a sh*t enough to promote it and that he thought it was a pretty good album.

Yea same with Smile, only about 44 years later...
Jason
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2012, 05:07:14 PM »

Michael's only problem with Smile was the lyrics. He's held onto that for over 45 years. Yet I'd love to hear someone tell me that his vocal on the tag for Cabinessence isn't one of THE great moments in Beach Boys history. For the guy who just "hated" the music, he sure sang his heart out on those songs.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2012, 05:16:16 PM »

Yea same with Smile, only about 44 years later...

His story hasn't changed a great deal, though. Even in 2011, he was quick to say his biggest objection to the material was mostly the lyrics, not the music (which he did say he thought was great). He's not suddenly singing its praises or anything, and the logic he used of feeling like a lot of their core fans wouldn't understand or would be put off by the lyrics was a valid point, to me. That's seemingly one of the reasons Brian scrapped the material, while we're at it.

Just sayin' - those who accuse Mike of revisionist history or trying to save face should consider these things.

Edit: BEATEN TO IT but yeah ;39
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:27:39 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »

Wait, the book lists Dennis as an objector? Don't most accounts say Dennis was one of its biggest supporters from the get-go?

I think most accounts say that Dennis was the most enthusiastic band member about Smile, but I haven't heard that about Pet Sounds.  I was surprised when I read that, too, though.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2012, 06:58:59 PM »

Michael's only problem with Smile was the lyrics. He's held onto that for over 45 years. Yet I'd love to hear someone tell me that his vocal on the tag for Cabinessence isn't one of THE great moments in Beach Boys history. For the guy who just "hated" the music, he sure sang his heart out on those songs.

If the only thing Mike ever did in the Beach boys discography was the Cabinessence tag,  I'd love him forever for it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2012, 07:01:38 PM »

I think most accounts say that Dennis was the most enthusiastic band member about Smile, but I haven't heard that about Pet Sounds.  I was surprised when I read that, too, though.
Loving the music yourself versus questioning whether your fan base will love it are two entirely different things. I can see why they were all concerned. Not that Pet Sounds was the reason, but their concern about their career turned out to be justified, as they fell from grace rather quickly not long thereafter.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »

I know it was like 10 years after the fact, but given the timing of Pacific Ocean Blue, I doubt Dennis really gave a sh*t if he was alienating some stubborn folk who thought the Beach Boys should have one sound and should only be choosing from a pool of about three lyrical topics. Even his earliest contributions to Beach Boys albums leaned more toward Pet Sounds-like arrangements, if they pointed to anything in their past at all.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2012, 01:58:19 PM »

I know it was like 10 years after the fact, but given the timing of Pacific Ocean Blue, I doubt Dennis really gave a sh*t if he was alienating some stubborn folk who thought the Beach Boys should have one sound and should only be choosing from a pool of about three lyrical topics. Even his earliest contributions to Beach Boys albums leaned more toward Pet Sounds-like arrangements, if they pointed to anything in their past at all.
Think whatever you want, but the fact remains he said it. He can think one way artistically, while thinking another career-wise. Both come in conflict with each other quite often. Remember too, they were big hit makers in 1966. A lot happened by 1977.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2012, 09:15:15 PM »

During tonight's Presidential debate when Mitt Romney announced he had "binders full of women", somewhere in America Mike Love thought to himself..."that's a good idea for a song."

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2012, 09:34:11 PM »

binders full of women, all ready for school -
who would choose one but a kuh-ray-zee fool?

MIKE: "Hey, what rhymes with Benghazi?"
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:38:59 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2012, 09:52:29 PM »

binders full of women, all ready for school -
who would choose one but a kuh-ray-zee fool?

MIKE: "Hey, what rhymes with Benghazi?"

That's a NUT buster!

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2012, 10:10:02 PM »

I get the impression that Carl was the one most enthusiastic about Smile, he's the one who kept going back to finish those songs after all. Dennis is a harder nut to crack, most accounts have him more concerned with lifestyle indulgences at this point than anything else. On one hand I could understand he'd want the band to keep up its' commercial success, but on the other hand wasn't Surf's Up done because of Dennis' frustration with the band's uncool image? Would he have really confronted Brian over the experimental nature of Smile, there's something seemingly out of character about that... 

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx