gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680797 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 07:59:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love dedicated his career to being a jerk  (Read 24070 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 10:30:41 AM »

He touched my hand once in 2004 on the Smile tour and suddenly... my leprosy was gone. Shout Hosanna!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »

That is a word -- "Brianista" I wish we could lose, permanently.  I find it "cultish" and trashes the fan's intelligence in finding Brian's works, extraordinary.  It conjures a blindness, IMHO. 

Since I was present when the term "Brianista" was first uttered (by the long-suffering spouse of a fan), I can tell you that the term, in its original meaning, did imply a blindness to all the good work and contributions of the other, non-Brian BBs (especially, but not limited to, Dennis).

That's a pretty accurate description

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »

He touched my hand once in 2004 on the Smile tour and suddenly... my leprosy was gone. Shout Hosanna!

My new profile picture from is of the Surf messiah.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:43:12 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 10:49:04 AM »

and ....... the author is a bearded hipster douche......

next
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 11:06:33 AM »

That is a word -- "Brianista" I wish we could lose, permanently.  I find it "cultish" and trashes the fan's intelligence in finding Brian's works, extraordinary.  It conjures a blindness, IMHO. 

Since I was present when the term "Brianista" was first uttered (by the long-suffering spouse of a fan), I can tell you that the term, in its original meaning, did imply a blindness to all the good work and contributions of the other, non-Brian BBs (especially, but not limited to, Dennis).

Interesting back story; so "blindness to the contributions of the others." Wow.  And, Dennis' work has gotten a worthy second look with the re-release of POB and Forever.  Among my favorites.

Now, it seems a pejorative term and used with a broad brush.

Thanks for that insight!
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 11:08:33 AM »

This is hilarious.

At the rate all this nonsense is going, he'll win a Pulitzer Prize for this!

Just like Jack Rieley.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 11:20:53 AM »

Let me guess...does this idiot post on the Blue board??

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jason
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 11:21:52 AM »

Those mentally deficient wastes of oxygen would probably eat an article like that up...but such is to be expected from the blueboard.
Paulos
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »

Pretty sure that article was actually written by AuldSurfaDood.
Jason
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »

Pretty sure that article was actually written by AuldSurfaDood.

The English and general grammar and spelling skills are all too good. Impossible.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 12:32:47 PM »

Actually, I prefer to think of it as Surfin' Moses.

Scrawled upon the surfboard are the ten commandments of the Sea of Tunes.
1) Thou shalT double, even triple track background harmonies
2) Thou SHALT covet Phil Spector's Wall of Sound

I could go on, but you get the idea. Just tryin' to keep it positive.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:46:12 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »

Great Idea, I do want to hear all 10. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 12:37:39 PM »

Actually, I prefer to think of it as Surfin' Moses.

Scrawled upon the surfboard are the ten commandments of the Sea of Tunes.
1) Thou shall double, even triple track background harmonies
2) Thou SHALL covet Phil Spector's Wall of Sound

I could go on, but you get the idea.

"SHALT".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 12:42:32 PM »

Thou shalt mention blowing thy mind one to three times a day.
Thou shalt covet thy wife's sisters.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2012, 12:51:02 PM »

I find it slightly ironic that that Mike Love diatribe was e-published on a Missouri news site that features a flashing banner ad for a club in Branson, MO. right above the column.  I'm sure some of the locals would dig and even prefer the Mike Love-led Beach Boys, since they may enjoy Branson type of acts.

As it is, a lot of people in the USA are not Beach Boys fans of any kind and are only vaguely familiar with the music, other than hearing it featured on advertising and film soundtracks. Does this dude think he's going to convert any people to being Beach Boys fans if they even bothered reading such an inside baseball type of article?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »

Thou shalt not buggeth be at thine old man.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2012, 12:55:22 PM »

Thou shalt not buggeth be at thine old man.

LOL

If I were a man of independent means, I would inscribe these most excellent commandants upon a boogie board - and hang it on my wall.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2012, 01:03:32 PM »

Oh my god the JOPLIN GLOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2012, 01:07:11 PM »

When will dolts like the man who wrote that inflammatory article realize that Mike has always acted out of the utmost concern for Brian. By suing Brian over being wrongfully denied songwriting credits of some of the Beach Boys most iconic songs, he freed Brian of the guilt that must have undoubtedly eaten away at him for decades. Brian, mismanaged for decades by wacked out psychotherapists and greedy wives, could've never fixed the oversight himself - his psychotherapists and wives had vacations that needed to be paid for, obviously. So Mike fixed the situation the only way he knew how.

He sued Brian.

And it worked.

Now Mike and Brian have a perfectly healthy familial relationship thanks to Mike's lawsuit.  Yes, Mike decided not to do any additional tour dates with Brian, but again, that was out of LOVE. Mike LOVE, to be exact. He wanted to protect the special image of the Beach Boys. He didn't want to the reunion to become something mundane and regular. No - when the remaining Beach Boys get on the stage together, it should be a grand spectacle, not another leg of never-ending tour of irrelevance.

Mike has always protected Brian. Without Mike's lyrics, which textually captured the energy of youth and the American spirit, Brian quickly fell off the ball. Brian made it - what?- a year or two without Mike before he bombed commercially? Brian is melancholy. He's "Til I Die." Mike is "Fun, Fun, Fun", "I Get Around", and "Kokomo" - you know, all the songs people still demand in concert today.

Sometimes I even wonder just how talented Brian is. Yes, he can arrange great harmonies. But what else is he really good at? The Wrecking Crew or the band came up with most of the good stuff. Brian would just say "hey, I need a real good 12 string guitar here", and someone else did the heavy lifting. And in terms of chords, he'd just mess around a bit with routine chord changes, just changing a thing or two there.

For that matter, when's the last time Brian wrote and arranged something great without someone holding his hand the whole way? Forget about the lyrics - I'm just talking about the melodies and arrangements. It's hard to say. To be honest, I'd take "Cool Head, Warm Heart" and "Daybreak Over the Ocean" over almost anything Brian's written in the last 40 years.
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »

The author looks eerily like Carl in that picture  LOL

My thoughts exactly - but I did not write it here because I thought I'd be the only one...

Welcome, compadre!

Same here!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2012, 01:29:36 PM »

Philip K Dick IS Carl Wilson IN "A Williamsburg Tale"
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »

When will dolts like the man who wrote that inflammatory article realize that Mike has always acted out of the utmost concern for Brian. By suing Brian over being wrongfully denied songwriting credits of some of the Beach Boys most iconic songs, he freed Brian of the guilt that must have undoubtedly eaten away at him for decades. Brian, mismanaged for decades by wacked out psychotherapists and greedy wives, could've never fixed the oversight himself - his psychotherapists and wives had vacations that needed to be paid for, obviously. So Mike fixed the situation the only way he knew how.

He sued Brian.

And it worked.

Now Mike and Brian have a perfectly healthy familial relationship thanks to Mike's lawsuit.  Yes, Mike decided not to do any additional tour dates with Brian, but again, that was out of LOVE. Mike LOVE, to be exact. He wanted to protect the special image of the Beach Boys. He didn't want to the reunion to become something mundane and regular. No - when the remaining Beach Boys get on the stage together, it should be a grand spectacle, not another leg of never-ending tour of irrelevance.

Mike has always protected Brian. Without Mike's lyrics, which textually captured the energy of youth and the American spirit, Brian quickly fell off the ball. Brian made it - what?- a year or two without Mike before he bombed commercially? Brian is melancholy. He's "Til I Die." Mike is "Fun, Fun, Fun", "I Get Around", and "Kokomo" - you know, all the songs people still demand in concert today.

Sometimes I even wonder just how talented Brian is. Yes, he can arrange great harmonies. But what else is he really good at? The Wrecking Crew or the band came up with most of the good stuff. Brian would just say "hey, I need a real good 12 string guitar here", and someone else did the heavy lifting. And in terms of chords, he'd just mess around a bit with routine chord changes, just changing a thing or two there.

For that matter, when's the last time Brian wrote and arranged something great without someone holding his hand the whole way? Forget about the lyrics - I'm just talking about the melodies and arrangements. It's hard to say. To be honest, I'd take "Cool Head, Warm Heart" and "Daybreak Over the Ocean" over almost anything Brian's written in the last 40 years.

See, only fictionalized Mike supporters say things this crazy.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2012, 03:12:46 PM »

He sued Brian.

And it worked.

For a minute, I've got to be honest, you had me going.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »

I find it slightly ironic that that Mike Love diatribe was e-published on a Missouri news site that features a flashing banner ad for a club in Branson, MO. right above the column.  I'm sure some of the locals would dig and even prefer the Mike Love-led Beach Boys, since they may enjoy Branson type of acts.

As it is, a lot of people in the USA are not Beach Boys fans of any kind and are only vaguely familiar with the music, other than hearing it featured on advertising and film soundtracks. Does this dude think he's going to convert any people to being Beach Boys fans if they even bothered reading such an inside baseball type of article?
Actually I am surprised M&B don't have a permanent show in Branson playing to people.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »

Make an offer!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx