gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680819 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:11:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love dedicated his career to being a jerk  (Read 24071 times)
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »

http://www.joplinglobe.com/lifestyles/x1200626419/Jeremiah-Tucker-Mike-Love-dedicated-his-career-to-being-a-jerk
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 01:03:38 AM »

Fuck, that's it, I quit.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 01:17:11 AM »

What... The...

Some guys just don't get it do they?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 02:48:51 AM »

This is getting tiresome. Had to laugh at this, though:

'Consider this description of Love from a June Rolling Stone article about the Beach Boys’ reunion: “Love is wearing a loud patterned shirt, a Caesars Palace cap and three massive jeweled gold rings on his right hand. More gold dangles inside his shirt.” It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”'

Journalism ain't what it used to be. If it ever was...
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 03:28:24 AM »

If Mike was really litigious, he'd sue these sons of bitches.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 03:36:35 AM »

Ah, so it was Mike who was behind Stars & Stripes. I knew it! This guy obviously "knew it", too, as that's about the extent of his research on the matter and several others in this article.

Although I'm curious - did Mike really donate to the PMRC?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 04:18:35 AM »

Ah, so it was Mike who was behind Stars & Stripes. I knew it! This guy obviously "knew it", too, as that's about the extent of his research on the matter and several others in this article.

Although I'm curious - did Mike really donate to the PMRC?

Yes, his "Love Foundation" gave something -- I think around $5000 -- to help the organisation when it first started up. It was reported in one of the big showbiz papers, either Billboard or Variety (can't remember which), at the time.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 04:50:25 AM »

I love the story (true or not) of how he brought extra batteries and such to India so he could sell them to the others at the Maharishi camp.   LOL
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 06:20:48 AM »

I love the story (true or not) of how he brought extra batteries and such to India so he could sell them to the others at the Maharishi camp.   LOL

"Hey Paul, you know what you ought to do with that song? Start talking about all the different girls around the USSR....Oh and while your at it, how about buying some toothpaste?"
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 06:56:06 AM »

The author looks eerily like Carl in that picture  LOL

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 07:08:21 AM »

Unfortunately, this article appears to be composed with a non-understanding of exactly what a lawsuit is.  It is "to remedy a loss," put very simply.  It appears that Mike was defrauded of lyric revenue.  It is not personal.  A "person" has to show up and respond, but, it is not always a personal matter.  The author does not appear to have done due diligence as well with the firing issues.  It is a "hit piece."

Jason
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 07:12:14 AM »

Well, the writer's intelligence is just about on par with your everyday Brianista...he gets about 5% of it right and promptly spends 95% of the essay slinging mud.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 07:35:21 AM »

Unfortunately, this article appears to be composed with a non-understanding of exactly what a lawsuit is.  It is "to remedy a loss," put very simply.  It appears that Mike was defrauded of lyric revenue.  It is not personal.  A "person" has to show up and respond, but, it is not always a personal matter.  The author does not appear to have done due diligence as well with the firing issues.  It is a "hit piece."

Is it just me or do we more less ignore that a wrong has been done to cause most of the suits but we see awarding remedy as the crime. Theft, slander, copyright violation = meh; remedy and restitution for theft, slander, violation = heinous, overboard and phony

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 07:48:10 AM »

The author looks eerily like Carl in that picture  LOL

My thoughts exactly - but I did not write it here because I thought I'd be the only one...

Welcome, compadre!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 08:19:20 AM »

Well, the writer's intelligence is just about on par with your everyday Brianista...he gets about 5% of it right and promptly spends 95% of the essay slinging mud.

That is a word -- "Brianista" I wish we could lose, permanently.  I find it "cultish" and trashes the fan's intelligence in finding Brian's works, extraordinary.  It conjures a blindness, IMHO. 

Brian may have God-given gifts, but he is not a deity. And, I'd bet that he would be the first one to say so.  Not unlike the "google" interview, where he was asked where IJWMFTT "came from," while singing it. From his throat, and out of his mouth.  Wink

Jason
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 08:30:12 AM »

Hey, I'd love to see the "Brianista" word go away, too.

He may not be a deity but he has a personality cult built up around him by certain fans that would sicken the Kim family.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 08:30:55 AM »

That is a word -- "Brianista" I wish we could lose, permanently.  I find it "cultish" and trashes the fan's intelligence in finding Brian's works, extraordinary.  It conjures a blindness, IMHO.  

Brian may have God-given gifts, but he is not a deity. And, I'd bet that he would be the first one to say so.  Not unlike the "google" interview, where he was asked where IJWMFTT "came from," while singing it. From his throat, and out of his mouth.  Wink

There is nothing wrong with praising Brian's work. His output is truly amazing. Brianista's take the stand that Brian is everything, and The Beach Boys mean nothing and just ride along on his coattails. It seems that many fail to realize that The Beach Boys being able to execute Brian's vision, made many of his songs iconic. Still to this day, nobody can perform these songs the way that the band, as a whole, could/can. Lastly, many Brianista's do treat Brian like a musical god. Many will tell you that straight out. People will believe anything and everything.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 08:38:11 AM »

Hey, I'd love to see the "Brianista" word go away, too.

He may not be a deity but he has a personality cult built up around him by certain fans that would sicken the Kim family.

When he wears his magic robe, he walks upon the waves like so.

I found the article old hat, personally. Been there, done that and we all know that. Still - you reap what you sow, and the media can be a vicious unchained Corgi. Sucks for you, Mike.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 08:46:12 AM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 08:42:28 AM »

That is a word -- "Brianista" I wish we could lose, permanently.  I find it "cultish" and trashes the fan's intelligence in finding Brian's works, extraordinary.  It conjures a blindness, IMHO.  

Brian may have God-given gifts, but he is not a deity. And, I'd bet that he would be the first one to say so.  Not unlike the "google" interview, where he was asked where IJWMFTT "came from," while singing it. From his throat, and out of his mouth.  Wink
There is nothing wrong with praising Brian's work. His output is truly amazing. Brianista's take the stand that Brian is everything, and The Beach Boys mean nothing and just ride along on his coattails. It seems that many fail to realize that The Beach Boys being able to execute Brian's vision, made many of his songs iconic. Still to this day, nobody can perform these songs the way that the band, as a whole, could/can. Lastly, many Brianista's do treat Brian like a musical god. Many will tell you that straight out. People will believe anything and everything.
No one questions the quality.  In fairness, lots of the concepts came from Dennis or others.  No man is an island.
Brian needed his "team" to "take it to the streets."  

Yes, no one plays the music like the Boys.  Leon Russell said so in great detail, in The Union movie with Elton John.  He described in great detail how Brian taught each member his vocal parts.  The best insight into Brian's teaching method.  I think Leon played piano on Fun, Fun, Fun.  

It is great to have a mentor or hero as a model or inspiration.  And the Boys showed the results of their tutelage under Brian during this brilliant tour.  
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 08:56:07 AM »

This is hilarious.

At the rate all this nonsense is going, he'll win a Pulitzer Prize for this!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Jason
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 08:59:37 AM »

This is hilarious.

At the rate all this nonsense is going, he'll win a Pulitzer Prize for this!

Considering the dubious honor of many of these prizes I wouldn't be shocked!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »

That article is garbage and not worth linking to or reading. I'm sorry I wasted my time reading it. It's a string of cliches. The author is an example of what's wrong with so-called Brianistas. It's not that people like this guy favor Brian and hate Mike, it's that they waste their time with it. Brian doesn't obsess that much about Mike.
Jason
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 09:46:54 AM »

Brian actually has a brain; this is a possession that Brianistas are short on.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »

That is a word -- "Brianista" I wish we could lose, permanently.  I find it "cultish" and trashes the fan's intelligence in finding Brian's works, extraordinary.  It conjures a blindness, IMHO. 

Since I was present when the term "Brianista" was first uttered (by the long-suffering spouse of a fan), I can tell you that the term, in its original meaning, did imply a blindness to all the good work and contributions of the other, non-Brian BBs (especially, but not limited to, Dennis).

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 10:21:51 AM »

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:33:07 AM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx