gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680786 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:43:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEIL YOUNG - LIVING WITH WAR  (Read 12674 times)
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2006, 05:59:16 AM »

Well, if everyone knows the government is crooked,  then why don't they turn off "Deal or No Deal" and do something about it? Frankly, I'm tired of paying $40 for a tank of gas and having to pay more and more taxes while Bush's oil buddies get tax breaks.

I'm proud that Neil has the balls to speak his mind. He also dissed ClearChannel on his last tour...even though they were his sponsor!

Neil stands for the working man and the farmers. He stands for that old "hippie dream" of peace and love, not war. He's a poet and an National treasure.  The beliefs he holds dear are the things that are getting harder and harder to come by with each passing year. His fight may be futile, but at least its reassuring to know that there's still someone willing to fight.

Anyway, it's a great album. And I'm glad that Niko Bolas is back. "The Volume Dealers" deliver the goods.

Everything about this post is right on!  The greater majority of this country doesn't give a f*** or else we wouldn't have had a second term for that goon!  The approval ratings are starting to show that maybe some people are figuring it out but it's far to late now.

As for Neil, he is one of the most respectable people in the music industry.  Just as you said his stance for the working man and the "hippie dream" are very commendable.  I know it's easy for a millionaire to preach about that stuff as they dont really have to worry where the next check is coming from but with Neil, I find it to be very sincere.  Musically speaking, the man has plenty of balls!  He is more than willing to take chances and not worry about whether or not it sells.  The man has done everything under the sun and while I don't care for all of it, I respect him for doing it.  I can't think of anyone else who has been sued by their record company for not making commercial music.  He plays by his rules and that is awesome in today's climate of industry puppets.  He and Elvis Costello are heroes of mine for this reason.

Good points Bubba Ho-Tep

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2006, 04:35:06 AM »

Well, if everyone knows the government is crooked,  then why don't they turn off "Deal or No Deal" and do something about it? Frankly, I'm tired of paying $40 for a tank of gas and having to pay more and more taxes while Bush's oil buddies get tax breaks.

I'm proud that Neil has the balls to speak his mind. He also dissed ClearChannel on his last tour...even though they were his sponsor!

Neil stands for the working man and the farmers. He stands for that old "hippie dream" of peace and love, not war. He's a poet and an National treasure.  The beliefs he holds dear are the things that are getting harder and harder to come by with each passing year. His fight may be futile, but at least its reassuring to know that there's still someone willing to fight.

Anyway, it's a great album. And I'm glad that Niko Bolas is back. "The Volume Dealers" deliver the goods.

Everything about this post is right on!  The greater majority of this country doesn't give a foda or else we wouldn't have had a second term for that goon!  The approval ratings are starting to show that maybe some people are figuring it out but it's far to late now.

As for Neil, he is one of the most respectable people in the music industry.  Just as you said his stance for the working man and the "hippie dream" are very commendable.  I know it's easy for a millionaire to preach about that stuff as they dont really have to worry where the next check is coming from but with Neil, I find it to be very sincere.  Musically speaking, the man has plenty of balls!  He is more than willing to take chances and not worry about whether or not it sells.  The man has done everything under the sun and while I don't care for all of it, I respect him for doing it.  I can't think of anyone else who has been sued by their record company for not making commercial music.  He plays by his rules and that is awesome in today's climate of industry puppets.  He and Elvis Costello are heroes of mine for this reason.

Good points Bubba Ho-Tep
Yeah, he's really taking a risk by trying to capitalize on the wave of anti-Bushiites.  Way to put your career at risk by spouting the party line.  "Will he record in this town again?Huh"

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Cabana Boy
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2006, 02:26:26 PM »

Neil Young will give a flying-f#ck about the party-line the day your pig ass grows wings and takes off.
Cabana Boy
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2006, 02:29:03 PM »

Spoke too soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And look, you're offering that rump up for a good GAYASS butt-f&cking, too!!! CUTE!!!
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2006, 02:56:24 PM »

Everything about this post is right on!  The greater majority of this country doesn't give a foda or else we wouldn't have had a second term for that goon!  The approval ratings are starting to show that maybe some people are figuring it out but it's far to late now.

Good points Bubba Ho-Tep
Yeah, he's really taking a risk by trying to capitalize on the wave of anti-Bushiites.  Way to put your career at risk by spouting the party line.  "Will he record in this town again?Huh"

When I said he had plenty of balls, I wasn't talking about him taking chances with this new album really.  I was talking about all of the many different styles of music he has given a shot over his many years in the business and his lack of regard for how much it sells or if people will like it or not.  The man does his own thing and I find that respectable.  You don't have to, that is fine, but to say he doesn't take chances with his music is absurd! 

As for his stance on Bush since you brought it up, there were some artists who took plenty of heat for speaking out against him and suffered greatly as far as album sales and image go.  I know that was a few years back and Bush's approval is at an all time low now therefore it may not be such a risky move now but I still think there are enough good ol' boy red state folks that will get fired up over this.  Whether it is taking a chance or not for Neil, I dont know.  I don' t really care either.  I am speaking of his music in my case.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 09:17:09 AM »

Do y'all remember some years back when he said he was collaborating on a new digital recording process that was somehow 'organic'? Hehehe. I swear the man is a visionary - even if he does like to golf.
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2006, 12:32:41 PM »

Does this mean we'll have to GROW our own Archives ?

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2006, 01:10:37 PM »

I listened to the album  this week. I have a copy in the car.  Catch parts of it throughout the day as I go about my business.

Reminds me more of the Freedom album than anything else.  Funny.  On that one he took on Bush Sr. and his thousand points of light.

I'm guessing the Bush family are no longer fans of Neil Young. LOL
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2006, 03:44:41 AM »

In 1970 it took him two weeks to release "Ohio". Now after 6 years of Bush in office he releases this "urgent" cd. Yawn. Shakey has certainly slowed down with the years.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2006, 12:20:28 PM »

Some people are definitely getting on the bush bashing bandwagon a bit late.  Guess they were waiting for the approval ratings to drop below 40.

Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2006, 02:27:26 PM »

Neil's stance is commendable, but how many times do we have to hear that our president is probably the most inept man to take office? We already KNOW. There's nothing we can do about that now, obviously a good portion of the American population wanted him in office. Oh well. We deal as best we can.

WE know, but obviously many out there don't get it.  I think everyone should speak out as loudly, and as often as possible.  Silence is at least tacit approval.

And what do we do about people like me, who don't agree the the above statements about President Bush?  What do we do about people like me apparently just "don't get it?"

I like Neil Young's music, though I haven't listened to the latest album at all.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2006, 03:18:59 PM »

Then you just ignore it and don't listen to the album, as you already have done.
Always glad to help out in these difficult situations.
Signed, The Breakfast Club.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 04:20:52 PM »

Neil's stance is commendable, but how many times do we have to hear that our president is probably the most inept man to take office? We already KNOW. There's nothing we can do about that now, obviously a good portion of the American population wanted him in office. Oh well. We deal as best we can.

WE know, but obviously many out there don't get it.  I think everyone should speak out as loudly, and as often as possible.  Silence is at least tacit approval.

And what do we do about people like me, who don't agree the the above statements about President Bush?  What do we do about people like me apparently just "don't get it?"

I like Neil Young's music, though I haven't listened to the latest album at all.

Well, I sometimes listen to music which is about God and i don't believe in that either, but if the song is OK I don't mind. It's a good rocking album making some pretty bloody obvious points. It doesn't take a historian to tell you your president is a fool and a liar, same as my pm is a clever liar. We all got fooled again....
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2006, 04:26:22 PM »

It doesn't take a historian to tell you your president is a fool and a liar, same as my pm is a clever liar. We all got fooled again....

No, not really. 

I wouldn't be interested in an album criticisizing Al Gore if he had been elected President.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 04:32:57 PM by Charles S. LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2006, 05:11:39 PM »

iI'm still rocking out to this album. It's moving up the ranks into Neil's top10 albums ever.

I don't care what he's singing about, it's a fucking incredible record!

I bought the new "Racontuers" album last week, the Jack White thing, and zzzzzzz...I just wanted to get back to listening to Neil!

I'll be seeing CSNY this summer! Wake me when Neil comes up to the plate.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2006, 09:35:12 PM »

It doesn't take a historian to tell you your president is a fool and a liar, same as my pm is a clever liar. We all got fooled again....

No, not really. 

I wouldn't be interested in an album criticisizing Al Gore if he had been elected President.

Yeah, I feel the same way. 

In my opinion, music and politics don't mix.  Music is a divine gift from God.  Politics were invented by man and are basically a form of evil if they're red or blue.  I dont' think politicians are evil, and I definately don't think George Bush is evil.  I think the nature of politics is evil, though, it corrupts and hardly anything good has come of it.  I'm not anti-government or anti-society or whatever, but the political nature of anything is usually the most negative aspect of any situation.  Perhaps it's a necessary evil. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2006, 11:50:24 PM »

This is a pretty good album now that I've listened to it a few times. I like how the backing vocals sound diverse in age gender and whatnot, it really sounds like he's singing along with America.

Though when I first heard "Looking For a Leader" I misheard it as "Looking For a Beer"!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2006, 12:42:26 PM »

It's not a bad batch of tunes.  Isn't his greatest, but it isn't his worst...and he has a handful of those, which is prone to happen with a 40 year career.

I'm very interested by politics and partisanship from the sidelines as well.  Usually I'm a grand crap-talker, but I think I'll sit this one out. 

All I know is that the frustration and anger is well justified.  Also makes for some great albums. 

Feh.
The Trader
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2006, 01:57:45 AM »

In 1970 it took him two weeks to release "Ohio". Now after 6 years of Bush in office he releases this "urgent" cd. Yawn. Shakey has certainly slowed down with the years.

1.Neil has already bashed bush in his 2003 Greendale release.
2.the record was written and recorded within 9 days.
3. Neils previous release was Prairie Wind which was released in the second half of last year. At this rate, Neil is more prolific than any other "Veteran" rocker and legend at his status.

and its all quality too....
aNonbeliever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2006, 10:31:42 PM »

Neil Young has no business getting political with America. I certainly will not be buying this album. Why doesn't he criticize the Canadian government?

EDIT - I'm not a Bush fan.

I haven't read the rest of the replies, so pardon me if I'm repeating. Neil's lived in the U.S. for longer than I, personally have been alive, and his kids are American citizens. He has a hell of a stake in America's fate, so I have no problem if he "gets political." More power to 'im.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2006, 01:54:23 PM »

Yeah, and after several weeks of listening to it, the album still holds up. It's a good one.
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2006, 03:46:18 PM »

Totally agree!

I'm looking forward to the vinyl with gatefold and booklet coming through my mailbox in the next few weeks!  Cool

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx