gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:40:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEIL YOUNG - LIVING WITH WAR  (Read 12256 times)
Bubba Ho-Tep
« on: April 21, 2006, 11:04:47 AM »

http://neilyoung.com/lww/lww.html

"I just finished a new record
a power trio with trumpet and 100 voices
recorded earlier this month
i think this is a metal version of Phil Oachs and Bob Dylan metal folk protest?

its called living with war
the title song is the second of 10 songs on this record" - ny
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil Young writes anti-war album 

Neil Young's album, Living with War, features a 100-strong choir
Veteran singer Neil Young has recorded an anti-war protest album on which he reportedly lashes out at George W Bush in a song called Impeach the President.
The Canadian star has described Living with War as "metal folk protest".

The title track includes lyrics such as: "On the flat-screen we kill and we're killed again. And when the night falls, I pray for peace."

Young is one of rock's most political artists, thanks to classic anthems such as Rockin' in the Free World and Ohio.

The 10 tracks on Living with War were recorded earlier in April and feature a 100-strong choir, the singer said on his website.

'Remember peace'

On the title track, he sings: "In the mosques and the doors of the old museum, I take a holy vow, to never kill again, try to remember peace.

"The rocket's red glare, bombs bursting in the air, give proof through the night that our flag is still there."

Young has not confirmed details of the other tracks, but there are widespread reports that he makes a more direct attack on President Bush in Impeach the President.

The new material comes 36 years after the star became an icon for the anti-war movement with Ohio, his response to the deaths of four students during a Vietnam war protest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

....from former president of Reprise Records, Howie Klein on DownWithTyranny! on hearing the album the first time:

"Will this go down as Neil's greatest album ever? It will be a contender musically. And the impact lyrically could be profound. I'll talk more about that when my period of musical purdah is up next week. If you're walking down the street and someone comes up to you and offers you the opportunity to hear just one song, ask him to play "Flags of Freedom." (Have kleenex handy.)"

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 11:08:50 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 11:08:06 AM »

Neil Young, Son of Famed Reporter, Records "Impeach the President" Song

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002344436

By E&P Staff

Published: April 14, 2006 11:40 AM ET

NEW YORK As an E&P "Pressing Issues" column recently noted, rock star Neil Young is the son of a famed Canadian journalist, so it should not surprise many that he recently recorded a song in California with a very reportorial -- or at least pundit -- feel to it.

It’s called “Impeach the President,” so there can be little question what it is about.

Apparently it was recorded with a 100-voice choir. Rumors have circulated the past few days on the Web, but E&P has tracked down the strongest confirmation in a blog kept by Sherman Oaks, Ca. musician/singer Alicia Morgan.

Previous reports quoted hints by Young and Jonathan Demme (who directed the new documentary “Heart of Gold”) that Neil was working on a hard-rocking political or “anti-Bush” CD.

Last Friday, Morgan wrote on her LastLeftB4Hooterville blog that she had been “summoned” to a local studio to sing on the new record with 99 others. “I'm not going to give the whole thing away, but the first line of one of the songs was ‘Let's impeach the President for lyin'!’ Turns out the whole thing is a classic beautiful protest record. The session was like being at a 12-hour peace rally. Every time new lyrics would come up on the screen, there were cheers, tears and applause. It was a spiritual experience. I can't believe my good fortune at being a part of this.

“We finished the session by singing an a capella version of 'America the Beautiful' and there was not a dry eye in the house.

“Neil said it should be out in 6 to 8 weeks."

Harp magazine reported on its Web site Thursday that Demme had confirmed in an e-mail, “Neil just finished writing and recording -- with no warning -- a new album called 'Living With War.' It all happened in three days… It is a brilliant electric assault, accompanied by a 100-voice choir, on Bush and the war in Iraq… Truly mind blowing. Will be in stores soon.”

The magazine continued: “Details are pretty scarce, but the featured track, titled ‘Impeach the President,’ features a rap with Bush’s voice set to the choir chanting ‘flip/flop’ and the like.”

Young has always been a maverick politically as well as musically. Although he has recorded a few songs that drew cheers from liberals, such as "Ohio" and "Southern Man," he also drew criticism from the left for pro-Reagan comments many years ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E&P Staff (letters@editorandpublisher.com)

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 10:39:31 AM »

This album comes out Tuesday. Word on the street is it is a mofo.

Listen to stream here:

http://www.hyfntrak.com/neilyoung2/AFF23130/

Read more here:

http://www.neilyoung.com/lww/lww.html
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 11:11:22 AM »

Yeah, it's way cool.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 11:13:41 AM »

I agree. After the "Are You Passionate" mishap, he has come back with 3 strong albums.  "Prairie Wind" gets some criticism, but I really love it.

This new record really moves. I thought he might slow down after his illness and all, but he's rocking hard again.
Cabana Boy
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 11:19:31 AM »

It's about 7/10 amazing. Love 'Shock And Awe'.
The namesake track is more personally affecting than the slogany title gives away - totally transcends all the advance political hype, and comes on as one of the most touching nods to human inner-conflict I've heard. Adore it.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 06:23:57 AM »

I really do like this record and it is IMO the most tuneful thing he has done in a while although I did like Prarie Wind and Greendale also.  I do, however, think that it might fall just a bit short of the hype it was given pre-release.  I am all for artists getting political and I am by no means a fan of our current administration and the wrongdoing they have specialized in, but sometimes when artists try so hard to make a huge political statement, the lyrical output suffers.  Again, I love this record I think it is a strong 4/5.  Some of the lyrics are a bit heavy handed for me though.  Anybody agree/disagree?

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 02:35:23 AM »

I think people are making way too big a deal of the anti-establishment-ness of this album.

Musically? Nothing jumped out at me on first listen, but I just had it on in the background. I'll give it a second listen with headphones and pay attention the lyrics and see what I think of it then.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 08:57:55 AM »

I don't even care what he's singing about, these are really catchy songs. I've listened to the album 3 times all the way through, and I am totally hooked. Very stong, focused album. That makes 2 absolute classics in a row for Neil. Long may he run!
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »

I don't even care what he's singing about, these are really catchy songs. I've listened to the album 3 times all the way through, and I am totally hooked. Very stong, focused album. That makes 2 absolute classics in a row for Neil. Long may he run!

I pretty much agree with this.  I wasn't trying to bash Neil or the record.  I think this is the strongest record he has done in quite some time.  I can certainly look past the lyrics and realize that these songs are a damn catchy bunch!!  I just wondered what other people thought of the lyrical content and whether or not I was in the majority in thinking that at times they were a bit much.  If nothing else, the man is passionate about what he is singing which is a rarity anymore in pop/rock music.  I do love this album!!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Jason
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 10:07:03 AM »

Neil Young has no business getting political with America. I certainly will not be buying this album. Why doesn't he criticize the Canadian government?

EDIT - I'm not a Bush fan.
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 10:52:26 AM »

Neil Young has no business getting political with America. I certainly will not be buying this album. Why doesn't he criticize the Canadian government?

EDIT - I'm not a Bush fan.

I figure he's pretty much as (U.S.) American as they come. Look at the lyrics of 'California Sunset', which was written back in the early 80's. (see http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/neil_young/california_sunset.html ) ... Whatever he is, I don't think it's Canadian.
Jason
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 10:54:01 AM »

He was born in Toronto in 1945. He only recently gained American citizenship.

How appealing! A Canadian singing Americana. Who'da thunk?
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 11:01:37 AM »

He's been living in the States for 40 years or so. He's pretty much made a career of the Americana thing. He basically turned his back on his home country a long time ago (more power to him, if that's what he wants. The weather is awfully nice down there.)

And if you think some foreigner telling you how to run your country is appealing, wait till Schwarzenegger becomes President...
Jason
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 11:04:39 AM »

Schwarzenegger will never become President. That would require a major change in the rules of being Preisdent, and my country is firm when it comes to tradition.

Founded by criminals, run by criminals.  Smiley Grin Roll Eyes Tongue Evil Afro 3D angel LOL Cool Guy Wink
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 11:51:29 AM »

Neil Young, no matter how recently he became one, is and american citizen giving him the right to trash talk W and his administration all he wants.  Hell, I wouldnt care were he not a citizen if he said the same things.  Just goes to show that people all over the world can see that our country is being run by morons and/or crooks.   I know I said that I thought the lyrics were "heavy handed" on the record and I stand by that but I do agree with them and can appreciate his honesty and passion for them.  Keep bitchin' Neil!

Jason
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 11:57:13 AM »

Certainly, he has the right to his free speech, but I personally get sick of people saying over and over that our country is run by crooks and inept people. We already know. I personally don't like being reminded.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 01:21:35 PM »

Well, if everyone knows the government is crooked,  then why don't they turn off "Deal or No Deal" and do something about it? Frankly, I'm tired of paying $40 for a tank of gas and having to pay more and more taxes while Bush's oil buddies get tax breaks.

I'm proud that Neil has the balls to speak his mind. He also dissed ClearChannel on his last tour...even though they were his sponsor!

Neil stands for the working man and the farmers. He stands for that old "hippie dream" of peace and love, not war. He's a poet and an National treasure.  The beliefs he holds dear are the things that are getting harder and harder to come by with each passing year. His fight may be futile, but at least its reassuring to know that there's still someone willing to fight.

Anyway, it's a great album. And I'm glad that Niko Bolas is back. "The Volume Dealers" deliver the goods.
Jason
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 03:00:06 PM »

Neil's stance is commendable, but how many times do we have to hear that our president is probably the most inept man to take office? We already KNOW. There's nothing we can do about that now, obviously a good portion of the American population wanted him in office. Oh well. We deal as best we can.
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 05:09:42 PM »

Neil's stance is commendable, but how many times do we have to hear that our president is probably the most inept man to take office? We already KNOW. There's nothing we can do about that now, obviously a good portion of the American population wanted him in office. Oh well. We deal as best we can.

WE know, but obviously many out there don't get it.  I think everyone should speak out as loudly, and as often as possible.  Silence is at least tacit approval.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 05:14:16 PM »

And at least Neil's doing it with some dynamite tunes! Talk about ear worms! I can't get them out of my head!
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 05:22:45 PM »

Yeah, just on a musical level, I think its clearly the best thing he's done in ages.  Maybe since Ragged Glory.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
Jason
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 05:42:48 PM »

WE know, but obviously many out there don't get it.  I think everyone should speak out as loudly, and as often as possible.  Silence is at least tacit approval.

I dunno, really. I suppose it's the fact that we've been force-fed these ideals of how America should be run. How come when artists make political statements they get either commended or derided, whereas the everyday average Joe who makes political statements should be damned to hell for all time?
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 11:27:43 PM »

Schwarzenegger will never become President. That would require a major change in the rules of being Preisdent, and my country is firm when it comes to tradition.

Founded by criminals, run by criminals.  Smiley Grin Roll Eyes Tongue Evil Afro 3D angel LOL Cool Guy Wink
Right on, Brother...Mr. Ahhnold Schwartz is a big testicle-crusing Nazi devil...i will move out of this stupid tabloid c*** tree if he even gets Close to the nomination!!!!

Whew i feel better.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2006, 05:48:05 AM »

How come when artists make political statements they get either commended or derided, whereas the everyday average Joe who makes political statements should be damned to hell for all time?
[/quote

Becuase the average Joe doesnt have the same platform that Neil Young, Bono, The Dixie Chicks, or whomever have.  Millions of people worldwide do not have access to my political views.  I can bitch to my friends all day long but it doesnt go much further than those people.  Now is there a case to be made for why we have to hear about celebrities political views?  Maybe so.  I for one don't mind it.  I think if you have that kind of influence then you should use it and speak your mind. 

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx