gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:17:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW & Band: private show @ House of Blues, Dallas (October 12th 2012)  (Read 34243 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2012, 07:49:20 PM »

Yeah, Jude entered the discussion on the other long thread too, and it was done to death.  You guys milked it for all it was worth!  It's old hat now!

Jude is passionate about the band (as I am) but there comes a time when you gotta throw in the towel and say, "They're gonna do what they wanna do and we can't do anything about it".

Ya know?

Maybe it takes this board to get it out of everybody's systems and be done with it. Yeah, that's it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2012, 08:02:53 PM »

Jude is passionate about the band (as I am) but there comes a time when you gotta throw in the towel and say, "They're gonna do what they wanna do and we can't do anything about it".

Oh every single one of us is passionate about the band and I completely understand how this subject can get people revved up.  This place is meant for us to discuss these things for as long as we want but how many more different threads do people want to drag the conversation back to all this again?  People are regurgitating the same stuff as if trying to "win" an argument or "convert" people to help people finally "get it" and see things their way.  In my book, everybody is right regarding this subject.  But at the end of the day: we can't do a damn thing about the situation.

Like you said, at one point you have to throw in the towel and accept that at the end of these "discussions" there is nothing but a dead end.  A big, tall dead end. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 08:04:38 PM by Justin » Logged
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2012, 08:17:14 PM »

Moving on to the show itself...here's a photo just been took, and some Twittering about it....
http://instagram.com/p/QtIiQSIvPw/
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »

It will be interesting to see in reviews or blogpists about the show whether Brian says anything pertaining to the sitcheeashun.  One expects M&B to just walk out and do their stuff as if the last nine months hadn't happened. But with Brian....

As long as it's not on the teleprompter, I think we'll be ok!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »

Right on, Justin.  Agreed with everything you said there.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2012, 09:48:44 PM »

A feller named Justin - not our Justin - who was at the House Of Blues put up a photo of the setlist at http://instagram.com/p/QtUpe-ovK7/
For those not into clickin'-

California Girls
Dance Dance Dance
Catch A Wave
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Surfer Girl
Please Let Me Wonder
Then I Kissed Her
When I Grow Up
Don't Worry Baby
Do It Again
Do You Wanna Dance
Darlin'
I Get Around
Add Some Music
Sail On Sailor
Pet Sounds
Sloop John B.
Wouldn't It Be Nice
God Only Knows
Heroes & Villains
Good Vibrations

Encore:
Johnny B. Goode
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Fun Fun Fun

Not that much different from a M&B list except a bit shorter....
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2012, 09:54:46 PM »

So wierd to see him doing Johnny B Goode - I kinda thought that would stay out of the set list after the reunion tour was so good about only doing songs they recorded...

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2012, 10:05:20 PM »

Johnny B. Goode is the closing track on Concert...
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »

Oh every single one of us is passionate about the band and I completely understand how this subject can get people revved up.  This place is meant for us to discuss these things for as long as we want but how many more different threads do people want to drag the conversation back to all this again?  People are regurgitating the same stuff as if trying to "win" an argument or "convert" people to help people finally "get it" and see things their way.  In my book, everybody is right regarding this subject.  But at the end of the day: we can't do a damn thing about the situation.

Like you said, at one point you have to throw in the towel and accept that at the end of these "discussions" there is nothing but a dead end.  A big, tall dead end. 

Just stands,

Justin ,
The professor finds you imsightful and full of wisdom and insight

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2012, 10:45:09 PM »

I visited the Brian website today and noticed it's now back to being brianwilson.com. During the reunion tour it was a tumblr site and blog style, as though it were a temporary place holder until they decided what direction was next. It seems to be transitioning back to Brian having a solo career again.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »

Ahh, It was so nice having them all together.

I miss it  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2012, 05:38:19 PM »

I tried listening to the remastered surfer girl today, but this news of old friends drifting--or being ripped apart--is just starting to depress me. . . . .I can't imagine going to see BW or the BB again unless it's all of them. . . .I am so discouraged that I can't even use any big professor words to hide my pain
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »

What in the blue f*** is he doing.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2012, 05:54:13 PM »

Good question, this is why the BBs need to stay together.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2012, 05:58:16 PM »

A private show for a six figure payday.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »

At least M&B did one for charity.

I just want all of my Beach Boys!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2012, 06:53:08 PM »

What is kind of strange about this is how left-field it seems. Actually, if Brian's people hadn't posted that rehearsal picture to facebook, we wouldn't have even found out until like a day after the damn thing actually happened.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2012, 05:26:43 AM »

What is kind of strange about this is how left-field it seems. Actually, if Brian's people hadn't posted that rehearsal picture to facebook, we wouldn't have even found out until like a day after the damn thing actually happened.

To me it makes Brian and Al's post-C50 responses seem even more BS-ey. Maybe its just me.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2012, 05:30:49 AM »

Private Show means that the sponsor wanted the hits.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2012, 06:14:45 AM »

Well, he certainly had no problem resuming his solo career... Roll Eyes

I expect eighty-seven f***ing pages filled with anti-Brian sentiment. If you're going to bitch about Michael doing the same thing BE f***ING CONSISTENT ABOUT IT.

well...he wanted to continue the Beach Boys tour, Mike would'NT have any of it so he kinda has to resume what he does....? Correct me if I'm wrong. I still have hope that this 'rocknroll album' of his with the other Beach Boys will be worked on in the coming  year!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:43:27 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2012, 07:06:13 AM »

Brian says hi on October 13, 2012 [YouTube video]

Now I'd like to see some clips from the show....  3D

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:18:43 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2012, 07:30:25 AM »

Really, the issue for me (and I think for some others) is not that Mike or Brian or Al should give up doing solo gigs. I would expect everyone to want to continue to pursue their own personal projects, even if they continue to work  together as a group.  I don't expect it to be "All Beach Boys All the Time" for any of them. As a matter of fact, it's really a healthier situation for them to work separately, then come together for special Beach Boy projects.  By working separately, they get to do things their way, without the compromise necessary for the group as a whole.  But, we don't have people doing solo projects then coming back together as The Beach Boys. We have some doing solo projects and The Beach Boys lite on tour.

The problem is one of perception and the use of the Beach Boys name.  Yes, Mike has the right to tour with that name, and before C50, I didn't see any problem with that. I went to several Mike/Bruce shows, and they were pretty good.  But, C50 was out of the park compared to those shows, and changed my expectations for The Beach Boys. Without intending to, the Boys one-upped themselves.  C50 showed what they were capable of. It generated excitement, and renewed interest and respect for the band name and brand.  By going back out with a stripped down Beach Boys, Mike as hit a big reset button on all of that. If Mike and Bruce were touring as "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show and Summer Fun Extravaganza featuring John Stamos," I'd say good for them.  I'd wish Mike well on his small town tours and would look forward to whatever he did with the Beach Boys.  But, he's made it clear he intends to continue things as they were, and that saddens me a bit because of the lost potential.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:32:43 AM by Cyncie » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2012, 07:35:27 AM »

I expect eighty-seven f***ing pages filled with anti-Brian sentiment. If you're going to bitch about Michael doing the same thing BE f***ING CONSISTENT ABOUT IT.

well...he wanted to continue the Beach Boys tour, Mike would have any of it so he kinda has to resume what he does....? Correct me if I'm wrong. I still have hope that this 'rocknroll album' of his with the other Beach Boys will be worked on in the coming  year!

Maybe he should just tour his solo material on his solo tours?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2012, 11:49:33 AM »

well...he wanted to continue the Beach Boys tour, Mike would have any of it so he kinda has to resume what he does....? Correct me if I'm wrong. I still have hope that this 'rocknroll album' of his with the other Beach Boys will be worked on in the coming  year!

Maybe he should just tour his solo material on his solo tours?

Brian's shows aren't very well attended as it is, very, very few people would see him if he was only performing solo material.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »

Com'on. That's such a blanket statement.

A clever setlist with some pre-publicity in certain markets, and you'll be able to sell your modest sized theaters. If you wanna, that is. I've been there, have you? I haven't seen an embarrassing sea of empty seats. That being said, I'm talking something akin to his early years of touring when he played large clubs and old vaudeville theaters - talkin' 1,000 seaters.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx