gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:30:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Project Smile  (Read 3406 times)
SunnyDownSnuff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:05:16 PM »

Does anyone know if this still exists on the internet for download somewhere? I don't really need it, but the idea of having so much right at my fingertips (even though I do have the Smile Sessions) is pretty tantalizing...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 03:07:54 PM »

If you're really enthusiastic about having 2 second clips of Wonderful encoded at 160kbps burst up in your itunes shuffle every time you try and relax, it is findable.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »

What is it?

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 04:14:53 PM »

a joke

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
theCOD
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 05:26:41 PM »

What is it?

An interactive CD full of SMiLE clips and info.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 05:31:27 PM »

If you're really enthusiastic about having 2 second clips of Wonderful encoded at 160kbps burst up in your itunes shuffle every time you try and relax, it is findable.

160kbps? That's being pretty charitable.

Really though, Project Smile was cool as hayull, but with better sources coming out is not especially useful anymore. An updated version of it would be cool as f***, however.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »

one thing it has that the box doesn't is the studio dialogue where Mike (sounding very stoned) is laughing and asking "Steve" (his bro I assume) to bring him a dildo and vibrator, and then Carl chiming in (sounding pissed off), "Could somebody bring Mike another bag of money!"   LOL
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »

May have to make an updated version... it'd be hard with pirating though :/

Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 06:15:06 PM »

one thing it has that the box doesn't is the studio dialogue where Mike (sounding very stoned) is laughing and asking "Steve" (his bro I assume) to bring him a dildo and vibrator, and then Carl chiming in (sounding pissed off), "Could somebody bring Mike another bag of money!"   LOL

I think that's on UM 17/18.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
rogerlancelot
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 02:51:36 AM »

It's on Heroes And Vibrations.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 03:29:08 AM »

LOL I know your pain.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 07:30:59 AM »

Are some folks that spoiled with what exists in 2012, or is it just a case of not knowing the history as early as 8-10 years ago because they weren't there?

Some of these statements are totally uncalled for. There is no need to go there with project Smile, which was at a certain time a very helpful and informative educational resource for those interested in learning about Smile, and the history behind it. Remember, there was *next to nothing* "official" to run with before a certain time, in fact with the music there was barely anything above the quality of what had appeared on official releases like the '93 box set. All the other stuff was whatever quality it was traded around, which was usually a few generations of dubs and copies away from the original, which itself was questionable.

Bottom line: Smile as we know it in 2012 would *not* have been possible without those who exchanged and shared the information through things like Project Smile, which some good people spent their time and/or money out of their own pocket in the days of mailing envelopes full of CDR's rather than uploading/downloading to share this music and the saga with anyone interested.

If the quality or the flow of the programming or the out-of-date information isn't compatible with an iPad or whatever other 2012 standard exists, there is no need to try to lessen what was a much-appreciated effort to compile most of what was available (and even then, available meant what a relatively small cult of collectors, fans, and researchers were working with) into one CDR that could be used as a reference. For doing that, it was a success, no matter what the standard of 2012 (instant downloadable gratification and 'lossless quality') would compare it with. A lot of people who were interested in learning more about Smile were able to do that through the original "Project", for that it was valuable.

Sometimes it feels as if the past 10 years or whatever didn't happen...I just hope more context and history is considered before posting criticisms of something as seen in this thread.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 09:49:02 AM »

Project SMiLE was incredible!, in some ways it feels a little obsolete now, but since it includes things not on the Box I use it as a companion. Some of the tracks are a little muddy, but in a way, that's what SMiLE will always be to me, these wonderful songs with an eerie quality which was mostly down to the tape hiss and slight loss of fidelity due to dubs or whatever, it had the sound that I always associate with it all.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 10:00:11 AM »

The goal of it wasn't sound quality, I think that may be where a 2012 mentality can go negative on it without realizing what it was aiming for a decade ago. Obviously you can't blame those who weren't there but at the same time to judge it in a harsh way due to sound quality or playlist compatibility - it's missing the whole point and putting a dark cloud over what was a very neat thing.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »

The goal of it wasn't sound quality, I think that may be where a 2012 mentality can go negative on it without realizing what it was aiming for a decade ago. Obviously you can't blame those who weren't there but at the same time to judge it in a harsh way due to sound quality or playlist compatibility - it's missing the whole point and putting a dark cloud over what was a very neat thing.

It is an incredible achievment and was the shizznet in it's day. We were all over the moon to get it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »

I concur that it was, in fact, the shizznet.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »

I was over the moon to find it a few years back too, but it's admittedly a bit annoying in the way I mentioned and now with TSS's session booklet it is a little redundant/out of date. Still a neat collection of writings and things, tho - It's where I read the Smile chapters of Glimpses!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »

lawl, why did you put it in your iTunes to begin with, hypehat?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 01:21:35 PM »

lawl, why did you put it in your iTunes to begin with, hypehat?

The things in the program open it there! And I ended up just using the thing as a glorified bootleg anyway.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »

Project Smile is great, and was essential IMO until The Smile Sessions came out last year.

Someone posted me a CD copy of the updated post-BWPS version, and I pretty much dedicated the whole of summer 2005 reading through the articles contained within...it also has some old Smile Shop threads from Feb 2004; reading through them (and watching the segments on the Leaf documentary) brought me as close as I will ever get to living the excitement that many of you experienced on those amazing night at Royal Festival Hall.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »

Are some folks that spoiled with what exists in 2012, or is it just a case of not knowing the history as early as 8-10 years ago because they weren't there?

Some of these statements are totally uncalled for. There is no need to go there with project Smile, which was at a certain time a very helpful and informative educational resource for those interested in learning about Smile, and the history behind it. Remember, there was *next to nothing* "official" to run with before a certain time, in fact with the music there was barely anything above the quality of what had appeared on official releases like the '93 box set. All the other stuff was whatever quality it was traded around, which was usually a few generations of dubs and copies away from the original, which itself was questionable.

Bottom line: Smile as we know it in 2012 would *not* have been possible without those who exchanged and shared the information through things like Project Smile, which some good people spent their time and/or money out of their own pocket in the days of mailing envelopes full of CDR's rather than uploading/downloading to share this music and the saga with anyone interested.

If the quality or the flow of the programming or the out-of-date information isn't compatible with an iPad or whatever other 2012 standard exists, there is no need to try to lessen what was a much-appreciated effort to compile most of what was available (and even then, available meant what a relatively small cult of collectors, fans, and researchers were working with) into one CDR that could be used as a reference. For doing that, it was a success, no matter what the standard of 2012 (instant downloadable gratification and 'lossless quality') would compare it with. A lot of people who were interested in learning more about Smile were able to do that through the original "Project", for that it was valuable.

Sometimes it feels as if the past 10 years or whatever didn't happen...I just hope more context and history is considered before posting criticisms of something as seen in this thread.

Right on!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »

I concur that it was, in fact, the shizznet.

Word.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 11:23:39 PM »

Project SMiLE was DA BOMB!! I still have all the stuff from it saved to my computer...I'll still check out the articles and such from time to time. A "joke" it is not.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx