gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:32:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which Do You Prefer?
Keepin' The Summer Alive - 57 (50%)
The Beach Boys - 57 (50%)
Total Voters: 106

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #11: Keepin' The Summer Alive vs. The Beach Boys (85)  (Read 32041 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »

What's the deal with "totally rad"? Not a native speaker here so I've always wondered why this particular phrase seems to annoy so many hardcore fans.

`Rad` (short for radical) was the sort of word that you would have expected teenage boys, girls and turtles to use at that time. Hearing Al, in his forties at that point, using it just feels like a middle-aged man trying to sound cool and is faintly embarrassing.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2012, 02:44:47 AM »

What's the deal with "totally rad"? Not a native speaker here so I've always wondered why this particular phrase seems to annoy so many hardcore fans.

`Rad` (short for radical) was the sort of word that you would have expected teenage boys, girls and turtles to use at that time. Hearing Al, in his forties at that point, using it just feels like a middle-aged man trying to sound cool and is faintly embarrassing.

Thank you, makes perfect sense to me! I always feel it's way easier for non-native speakers to look past the sometimes embarrassing nature of the group's post-Holland lyrical output.
wavedancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2012, 09:57:07 PM »

This one won't let me vote........ I would have gone for KTSA
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2012, 10:35:59 PM »

In conclusion, I love both of these albums because of my insane, irrational fandom.  I tend to say BB85 is better because it is simply a far more consistent album.  It stems from a real effort to reinvent the group...for better or worse.  Yes, mostly worse.  But a real effort nonetheless.  It's unique and the song quality (which is dated and not really Beach Boy-esque) is far better in strict "quality" terms.  And I can appreciate it.  It took a lot to appreciate it ...but it is a better "album."  And I like it.

And I say, let's hear it for insane, irrational fandom.  The same irrational fandom caused me to buy all the new remasters, and I love them!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2012, 12:08:27 AM »

Thanks for explanation, Nicko1234! I wasn't aware of it myself.

It's perhaps the single most embaressing moment in the entire BB catalogue, which is saying something! To get it into perspective, imagine if on one of the TWGMTR songs Al had sung '...and then i started to LOL'.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2012, 11:19:19 AM »

I feel like KTSA could be made into a great mix, like the way we (some Smilers) like to put Smiley-WH-Friends-20/20 together as a perfect mix of awesomeness!

But with KTSA, I think we could make a great mix of songs from MIU/Adult Child/Outtakes from that era/L.A./KTSA, if I wasn't in a hurry, I'd be able to crank out a double LP that would be listenable.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2012, 11:22:44 AM »

I haven't seen: Is "Sunshine" pretty much hated around these parts, or do people like it?

I actually really like the song. It's very up and very Brian to my ears. I like all the songs on side 2 of KTSA for what it's worth, but side 1 is a real let down.
Big fan of Sunshine!
I'm guessing Brian didn't realize there was a song titled this or maybe we woulda got a different track name on the Imagination album. You'd think with Joe Thomas carrying the weight (I thought he was a big fan of the BB) he woulda said, "hey, you prolly don't remember way back to 1980, but you wrote a song with that title already."

But then again, you could say the same about his naming the suite on BW88 Rio Grande, as it was already a title by Al and Gary W. (I think but I could be wrong), but then again, that song was never released, so it's all good.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »

KTSA by a mile. Some good songs notwithstanding (getcha back, sbila, igl, and male ego), 85 is horrible. Their worst effort.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2012, 10:16:14 AM »

it's tied....what will be the tie breaker,who will win???
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2012, 10:44:56 AM »

Beach Boys 85 has to win. The idea that Keepin' The Summer Alive is the better album is lunacy i tell you, lunacy!!!!!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2012, 10:59:01 AM »

I feel I must reiterate how strange it is to me that so many people like BB85, I could've sworn before this thread that I was one of the only people who liked it. The only time people posted about this album was to make fun of "Crack at Your Love" for being about butts or something.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2012, 11:09:10 AM »

I'm surprised there are 78 people in the world who care enough about either album to place a vote.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »

I feel I must reiterate how strange it is to me that so many people like BB85, I could've sworn before this thread that I was one of the only people who liked it. The only time people posted about this album was to make fun of "Crack at Your Love" for being about butts or something.

I did once call it the worst album the group made with Brian on this board but I listened to it again with an open mind when this thread came up and realized that it's actually pretty decent.  It's odd and doesn't fit in with the rest of the Beach Boys catalogue but I think in retrospect, that gives it a certain charm.  It's still far from a great album but some of the songs are really good and it's a pleasant album to listen to I think.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »

I don't know about much of this poll is about liking. More like tolerating.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2012, 12:09:45 PM »

I don't know about much of this poll is about liking. More like tolerating.

I genuinely really like a comfortable half of Beach Boys '85.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »

I like or love every song on BB'85.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2012, 12:30:48 PM »

I like or love every song on BB'85.

With the exception of It's Just A Matter of Time, me too.
Some albums go well with repeated playings, I think this is one of them.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2012, 01:39:55 PM »

I don't think of myself as an 80's music lover - prefer the 60's and 70's - but I grew up in the 80's, so there is a lingering fondness for much of what I heard on the radio back then. Maybe that's why BB85 doesn't bother me like it does some fans. I'd prefer less synths, but the guys still sound good, some good songs, Carl at his best....also, BW88 is full of synths, and I love that album.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2012, 07:07:22 AM »

BB85. If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times, It's certainly not their best album but it is what it is, a nice pop album from a difficult point in time for older musicians, especially The Beach Boys. Then again, I'm a big fan on the Fairlight, it fascinates me, so that may be a big contributor to why I like that album so much.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2012, 07:37:18 AM »

How about this for a hypothetical BB85 alternative:

1] Chasin' The Sky [Always thought this was album worthy]
2] Getcha Back [Obviously has to be here]
3] It's Gettin' Late
4] Crack At Your Love
5] Maybe I Don't Know [I don't care, I love this one  Tongue]
6] She Believes in Love Again
7] Oh, Lord [If Brian had finished the 1984 recording of it]
8] And I Always Will [I don't know what state of completion the 1985 recording of this is in, but I'm sure it could have been done]
9] Where I Belong
10] California Dreamin'
11] Are You Real [Yeah, the Dennis song, I think this could have been either remixed and tidied up by the boys, similar to how George Harrison remixed "That's The Way It Goes" for the 12" of "When We Was Fab", or re-recorded as a tribute to Dennis]

The remaining six tracks could be spread across B-Sides and version exclusive releases.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »

How about this for a hypothetical BB85 alternative:

1] Chasin' The Sky [Always thought this was album worthy]
2] Getcha Back [Obviously has to be here]
3] It's Gettin' Late
4] Crack At Your Love
5] Maybe I Don't Know [I don't care, I love this one  Tongue]
6] She Believes in Love Again
7] Oh, Lord [If Brian had finished the 1984 recording of it]
8] And I Always Will [I don't know what state of completion the 1985 recording of this is in, but I'm sure it could have been done]
9] Where I Belong
10] California Dreamin'
11] Are You Real [Yeah, the Dennis song, I think this could have been either remixed and tidied up by the boys, similar to how George Harrison remixed "That's The Way It Goes" for the 12" of "When We Was Fab", or re-recorded as a tribute to Dennis]

The remaining six tracks could be spread across B-Sides and version exclusive releases.
I was just about to post something like this!
Add It's a Beautiful Day!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2012, 06:53:58 PM »

I was just about to post something like this!
Add It's a Beautiful Day!
I didn't really consider that one, but I think with a little bit of a remix it would have been one of the best tracks on there.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2012, 08:24:45 AM »

I wonder if on a Chicago message board somewhere, they are doing a Chicago 18 vs. Chicago 19 poll.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »

Ooh, I just voted for BB85, which once again tipped the polls towards... a perfect tie!  Smiley

And yeah, I find BB85 pretty groovy.  Like, a B- kinda groovy.

And I find KTSA less groovy, like a.. C.

I'm being pretty generous...
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2012, 09:17:47 PM »

I'd have to go with '85.... despite some decent songs, KTSA has just the most uninspired production  Huh
Its getting Late, She believes in love again, even I'm so lonely have something about them I love..  Smiley

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx