gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:48:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which Do You Prefer?
Keepin' The Summer Alive - 57 (50%)
The Beach Boys - 57 (50%)
Total Voters: 106

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #11: Keepin' The Summer Alive vs. The Beach Boys (85)  (Read 32051 times)
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2012, 06:24:07 AM »

speak for yourself. just because you hate bb'85, doesn't mean other people do. bad logic.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2012, 09:14:49 AM »

I could've sworn everyone hated BB'85. this is definitely the most interesting poll, just for that reason.

I hate it!
Eymmmm soooo lonelyyyyyyyyy.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »

I started getting into the Beach Boys circa summer 1980. KTSA had already come and gone with little fanfare...so BB85 was the first album I bought at the time of release. Maybe that explains my liking it. I still remember the excitement of buying a new BB's album, taking it home, and playing it for the first time. Is it Sunflower or (blashphemy!) Pet Sounds? No, but it's still miles better than SIP.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2012, 02:19:14 PM »

The Beach Boys - played it again today, and I found great enjoyment in doing so. Side one was stringer than side two, but that's because I really like Getcha Back, albeit because I have a comedic soft spot for Mike's awful delivery. The production isn't always too over powering, but it would have been nice to have been softer than it is. Some times, however, it is just too much. I'm also a fan of She Believes In Love Again, and, as awful as it is, California Calling is just too try-hard to ignore Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2012, 03:21:19 PM »

My vote für BB85, just because KTSA seems much more like a puzzle to me than a coherent album. Listening to the title track from Knebworth makes me wonder what the album would have sounded like with a better production. The archive songs don't fit in for my taste (When girls get together)

BB 85 has some tracks I love (It's getting late, Where I belong, Hungry heart a.k.a. Getcha back...) and a few I hate (I'm so lonely e.g.). I like to combine the Carl tracks with his solo tracks from Beckley-Wilson-Lamm to make a great 80s AOR album.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2012, 04:39:42 PM »

speak for yourself. just because you hate bb'85, doesn't mean other people do. bad logic.

you have bad logic to assume that I hate BB85! I really enjoy it!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2012, 02:44:55 PM »

My vote goes to BB85. It feels as if more effort has been put in and is ultimately a more soulful offering, although KTSA has the high points for me in Goin' On and Santa Ana Winds. I also have a soft spot for Endless harmony.

There's something strangely comforting about BB85 though. Maybe it does remind me of the era I grew up in, although I wasn't at all familiar with the album at the time.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
MBE
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2012, 10:01:23 PM »

I could've sworn everyone hated BB'85. this is definitely the most interesting poll, just for that reason.
Hmm though I grew up in the eighties I was listening to The Beach Boys to get away from music like the 1985 album. I gave it a chance, but I don't get a thing from it past the "Getcha Back"/"Male Ego" 45. I find the post Dennis pre 2012 stuff hard going for the most part. Even 1976-80 only does it for me sporadically with only Dennis' stuff and a few cuts off each LP of that period meaning much to me. I love The Beach Boys, but it's basically for what they did from 1961-72. 
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »

Just a quick question, out of interest: are the people voting for BB85 folks who grew up in the 80's?

No. I just think most of the songs on KTSA stink to high heaven, and '85 has a some better songs songs, despite the slick production.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2012, 10:21:39 PM »

Say what you will about the production on the '85 album, it sounds fantastic next to nearly anything Terry Melcher produced for the group (though to be fair, there were some good ones like California Dreamin').  In fact hearing the Melcher produced material from Still Cruisin' and Summer in Paradise, it almost makes me wish Levine had remained as the Beach Boys producer throughout the rest of the 80s and early 90s.  With a better producer, Summer in Paradise would not be looked at with nearly as much disdain.  At least that's my opinion.  For instance, Hot Fun in the Summertime.  Already a great song.  A Beach Boys version would be an awesome idea.  But with the wrong producer, it sounds like crap.  And it does, in fact it's almost unlistenable.  Steve Levine was an 80s producer taking the Beach Boys sound into the 80s and I think he did a pretty good job.  Terry Melcher was a 60s producer trying to take the Beach Boys sound into the 80s and my god, did he fail miserably.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2012, 11:31:06 PM »

Say what you will about the production on the '85 album, it sounds fantastic next to nearly anything Terry Melcher produced for the group (though to be fair, there were some good ones like California Dreamin').  In fact hearing the Melcher produced material from Still Cruisin' and Summer in Paradise, it almost makes me wish Levine had remained as the Beach Boys producer throughout the rest of the 80s and early 90s.  With a better producer, Summer in Paradise would not be looked at with nearly as much disdain.  At least that's my opinion.  For instance, Hot Fun in the Summertime.  Already a great song.  A Beach Boys version would be an awesome idea.  But with the wrong producer, it sounds like crap.  And it does, in fact it's almost unlistenable.  Steve Levine was an 80s producer taking the Beach Boys sound into the 80s and I think he did a pretty good job.  Terry Melcher was a 60s producer trying to take the Beach Boys sound into the 80s and my god, did he fail miserably.
Yeah, who would've guessed? Melcher - former producer for the Byrds and Paul Revere and the Raiders - with the BB's sounds like it should be a perfect match....far from it. But by then, it had become essentially Mike's band. If Brian and Carl had stayed more involved during that period, who knows?
Nicko1234
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2012, 11:31:56 PM »

I agree with you regarding Summer in Paradise and Terry Melcher probably would have as well. Bruce said that Terry Melcher hated it as they had to rush it out due to the demands of the distributors.

I don`t really agree about the other Terry Melcher stuff though. Rock and Roll to the Rescue sounds ok and while the 4 Melcher songs on Still Cruisin` are very 80s, I don`t think they are anywhere near as sterile as the BB85 recordings. Somewhere Near Japan is a fine song and Kokomo is a good pop song (sorry). Make it Big is ok for what it is and the later Problem Child isn`t bad musically to my ears.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2012, 09:51:45 AM »

I can pick out more songs on KTSA that I listen to more often than any on BB85....maybe if Male Ego was originally on the album.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »

I think most everyone here has made all the right points.... Here's my synopsises...

First...The Bad (and the Ugly!)...
KTSA
Too much of a mix and match
Minus a few moments, it's the classic definition of a "bottom of the barrel" album

The Beach Boys ('85)
Dreadful SQ/Production.  Just awful.  It only works if one wants to be ironic/retro.
Just weird.  A nightmare.

The Good... (As a fan., I tend to focus more on these)
KTSA
I love this era of the Beach Boys for some reason...
Love the SQ of 1980 production
Some very good songs:  Goin' On, Girls Get Together (love this!), etc.

The Beach Boys ('85)
Consistent
Interesting/unique in the catalog
Some very good songs:  Getchya Back, I'm So Lonely, Male Ego, etc.

In conclusion, I love both of these albums because of my insane, irrational fandom.  I tend to say BB85 is better because it is simply a far more consistent album.  It stems from a real effort to reinvent the group...for better or worse.  Yes, mostly worse.  But a real effort nonetheless.  It's unique and the song quality (which is dated and not really Beach Boy-esque) is far better in strict "quality" terms.  And I can appreciate it.  It took a lot to appreciate it ...but it is a better "album."  And I like it.

KTSA is not nearly as difficult to like.  But, as I said, is such a "bottom of the barrel"exercise in many respects, that it tends to exude this sense that it really doesn't want to exist.  Like it wants to be forgotten.  And there's little to invite you back.  Even the cover art says:  "we're trapped in here, help us!!"  But... it's better in many respects than '85.  Far better production.  And far more "Brian Wilsony" and "Beach Boysy."  It truly has some excellent high points.  It's pleasant, and I like it a lot.  It's an easy listen.

So...I'll have to vote later.  This is tough.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2012, 01:10:51 PM »

I think most everyone here has made all the right points.... Here's my synopsises...

First...The Bad (and the Ugly!)...
KTSA
Too much of a mix and match
Minus a few moments, it's the classic definition of a "bottom of the barrel" album

The Beach Boys ('85)
Dreadful SQ/Production.  Just awful.  It only works if one wants to be ironic/retro.
Just weird.  A nightmare.

The Good... (As a fan., I tend to focus more on these)
KTSA
I love this era of the Beach Boys for some reason...
Love the SQ of 1980 production
Some very good songs:  Goin' On, Girls Get Together (love this!), etc.

The Beach Boys ('85)
Consistent
Interesting/unique in the catalog
Some very good songs:  Getchya Back, I'm So Lonely, Male Ego, etc.

In conclusion, I love both of these albums because of my insane, irrational fandom.  I tend to say BB85 is better because it is simply a far more consistent album.  It stems from a real effort to reinvent the group...for better or worse.  Yes, mostly worse.  But a real effort nonetheless.  It's unique and the song quality (which is dated and not really Beach Boy-esque) is far better in strict "quality" terms.  And I can appreciate it.  It took a lot to appreciate it ...but it is a better "album."  And I like it.

KTSA is not nearly as difficult to like.  But, as I said, is such a "bottom of the barrel"exercise in many respects, that it tends to exude this sense that it really doesn't want to exist.  Like it wants to be forgotten.  And there's little to invite you back.  Even the cover art says:  "we're trapped in here, help us!!"  But... it's better in many respects than '85.  Far better production.  And far more "Brian Wilsony" and "Beach Boysy."  It truly has some excellent high points.  It's pleasant, and I like it a lot.  It's an easy listen.

So...I'll have to vote later.  This is tough.

Great post Bean Bag! You sum up a lot of my sentiments towards these two.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:24:30 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »

I hate BB85 too. When I listen to that album, I hear the world's greatest band of the 1960s and early 1970s trying to be hip again in the mid 1980s and doing so with very uninspired song material and a digital sound that didn't fit them at all. KTSA is not a great work of art either (although I do think it has much better song material) but at least they weren't trying to be something that they weren't on that album.

And the fact that The Beach Boys recorded a Culture Club outtake is, for as far as I'm concerned, purely musically speaking the band's all-time low.
MBE
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2012, 06:00:47 PM »

I hate BB85 too. When I listen to that album, I hear the world's greatest band of the 1960s and early 1970s trying to be hip again in the mid 1980s and doing so with very uninspired song material and a digital sound that didn't fit them at all. KTSA is not a great work of art either (although I do think it has much better song material) but at least they weren't trying to be something that they weren't on that album.

And the fact that The Beach Boys recorded a Culture Club outtake is, for as far as I'm concerned, purely musically speaking the band's all-time low.
I agree with every word.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »

I haven't seen: Is "Sunshine" pretty much hated around these parts, or do people like it?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2012, 09:06:31 PM »

I haven't seen: Is "Sunshine" pretty much hated around these parts, or do people like it?

I like it. If only for BW's falsetto. That and Goin' On are the songs I listen to most on that album.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2012, 09:19:30 PM »

I personally don't hate it. Though, I'd reckon that the whole BB's meet Jamaica/reggae thing is annoying to some. At the very least, as noted, it's one of the few tracks on the album where Brian's clearly audible. IIRC, when they did that whole Goin' Platinum promo thing for the album, this was one of the songs they showed the band performing (albeit staged)...and Brian was fairly into it.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »

Al Jardine saying "totally rad" on California Calling is even worse than Passing Friend.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2012, 10:21:18 PM »

It's not very good, although I wouldn't say it's the worst thing on that album. School Days takes that prize...

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2012, 11:03:14 PM »

2Dave Modny: wow, really? Is this performance on Youtube or anywhere else? Anyway, thanks for the info!

Good question. I don't know. The "Going Platinum" special was produced for Showtime back in 1980. Though, I saw it in the summer of that year when it was part of a syndicated series of shows known as The Blue Jean Network. It was basically a documentary on the recording of the KTSA album. One interesting part of the doc had them briefly playing an off-the-cuff bit of Brian's unreleased song, "Goin' To The Beach."

Since then, some of the footage has popped up in other places as well....such as the "An American Band" doc. For example, the scene where the band is walking along the Monterey coastline in AAB.

PS - I don't think the album ended up "going platinum" after all...lol.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2012, 02:23:02 AM »

What's the deal with "totally rad"? Not a native speaker here so I've always wondered why this particular phrase seems to annoy so many hardcore fans.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2012, 02:25:28 AM »

I actually really like the song. It's very up and very Brian to my ears. I like all the songs on side 2 of KTSA for what it's worth, but side 1 is a real let down.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx