gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681637 Posts in 27651 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 23, 2024, 03:16:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys: Stamos, Love, Johnston  (Read 81393 times)
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2012, 10:08:14 AM »

Oh for god sakes. There are plenty of people that I could say I'm somewhat jealous of - but John Stamos isn't one of them. Good for him that he helps disadvantaged kids. He just comes off as a prat on stage imo, and if sizable percentages show up to just to see Stamos, well - there's no accounting for taste. I doubt your assertion by the way...

Hey, Russell Crowe and Billy Bob Thornton are both musician/actors. Both have infinitely more style, charisma and ah, musical chops than this sit com retread jackass. Both of them wouldn't (and don't) act like a gee-golly teenager when they're performing on stage. Some of us have style, and some don't.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »

Stamos would make a fine MC at the shows without performing if he really wants to go to the shows. But the way he does things now is like Mike Love pulling a PR stunt from 1992 with people indifferent to Stamos in 2012.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »

On the plus side, he allows The Beach Boys to go out on a high note and not tarnish or devalue their legacy.

Oh wait.
Nicko1234
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2012, 10:58:56 AM »

I've always been surprised at the hate for Stamos from people on this board. Somebody above posted about Stamos' drumming (or guitar playing) not being good. Seriously, 99% of the audience can't tell the difference.

I always think it`s ironic when people mock Stamos about his guitar not being plugged in. It`s not like Brian`s or Bruce`s keyboards are audible at any time...

You are right about the drumming as well. The band had Mike Kowalski as the drummer for years and the audience didn`t complain. They won`t be complaining about Stamos`s drumming either.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »

He's certainly a true fan. A real fan. A loyal fan. He loves the band and the music. And he just happens to occasionally be a jackass on stage. Again, everyone here bitching about him would LOVE to have such an opportunity fall in his or her lap.

Your first points may be true. Your last one is positively false, and I don't understand why some folks here repeat it over and over. Since when does liking a band mean you want to be a rock star onstage with them? I frankly couldn't imagine anything more unpleasant.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2012, 11:16:11 AM »

I've always been surprised at the hate for Stamos from people on this board. Somebody above posted about Stamos' drumming (or guitar playing) not being good. Seriously, 99% of the audience can't tell the difference.

I always think it`s ironic when people mock Stamos about his guitar not being plugged in. It`s not like Brian`s or Bruce`s keyboards are audible at any time...

You are right about the drumming as well. The band had Mike Kowalski as the drummer for years and the audience didn`t complain. They won`t be complaining about Stamos`s drumming either.
Brian and Bruce have done alot more in the songwriting, instruments, and singing department than Stamos. I also think the audience notices when Stamos drums, the songs get sloppier and out of sync.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2012, 11:22:49 AM »

He's certainly a true fan. A real fan. A loyal fan. He loves the band and the music. And he just happens to occasionally be a jackass on stage. Again, everyone here bitching about him would LOVE to have such an opportunity fall in his or her lap.

Your first points may be true. Your last one is positively false, and I don't understand why some folks here repeat it over and over. Since when does liking a band mean you want to be a rock star onstage with them? I frankly couldn't imagine anything more unpleasant.

Never say never.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2012, 11:30:09 AM »

If Mike gets John Stamos, Can Brian get Kevin Shields to lead the BW band in My Bloody Valentine style shoegazing?

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »

If Mike gets John Stamos, Can Brian get Kevin Shields to lead the BW band in My Bloody Valentine style shoegazing?

He should just get Dave Coulier. That would be the funniest thing ever.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2012, 11:37:37 AM »

Stamos was hip in 1990. Roll Eyes

And now he needs a "hip replacement"...

...zing!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »

Stamos was hip in 1990. Roll Eyes

And now he needs a "hip replacement"...

...zing!
LOL *cue laugh-track*

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »

I also think the audience notices when Stamos drums, the songs get sloppier and out of sync.

Most people didn't notice it with Kowalski, who by the end was a *far* worse drummer than Stamos. Which is not to say Stamos is in any way good.

Stamos seems to be popular with some people -- when the BBs have been in the Twitter trending topics recently (Grammys, reunion announcement etc) and I've taken a look, an actual majority of the tweets have mentioned "Uncle Jesse", usually in some form like "WTF? Where's Uncle Jesse? How is this the Beach Boys without him?" or "The Beach Boys are reforming, but if Uncle Jesse's not there I'm not going!"

I think this is fairly obviously a terrible thing -- he has little or no musical ability, and seems incredibly annoying to me from the little I've seen of him (thankfully he's unknown over here and doesn't travel to the UK gigs). But it may well be the case that the audience that goes to Mike & Bruce gigs like him.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2012, 11:54:34 AM »

Does anyone know why Stamos still plays with them?
Does he bring out more cougars or something?
Is he just buddies with Mike and Bruce?
He probably demands more money than Brian.

Because he helps them to sell tickets. He`s done Mike and Bruce a lot of good over the years.

I think Brian (and Al & David) sold them a lot more tickets this year than Stamos ever has.

It's great that he's a fan and an attractive celebrity and a likable guy. Admirable qualities. Maybe he even gets a few more asses in seats. How does that qualify him to be an honorary Beach Boy, featured as a principal member in publicity shots? Promoting a band should not earn membership to that band, no matter how big a fan the guy is.

The real Beach Boys JUST got off the road and Stamos is already in the band's head shot? It's tasteless and tactless and I would honestly expect more from a true fan of the group. What true fan would want to replace Brian (and Al & David) in The Beach Boys??!!!

sure most of us might love to get on stage and play some tunes with our favorite band. maybe one time at a fantasy camp or by winning a contest or lottery of some kind. I don't think any of us would want to be on that stage instead of the actual living members of the band, nor would any of us convince ourselves that we are actually a Beach Boy or have any right to be.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:00:17 PM by bossaroo » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2012, 11:56:44 AM »

It's all a bit battered person syndrome. I love John Stamos! I fell down the stairs, is all!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:58:01 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »

LOL

terrible
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:02:30 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »

I disagree with this logic. Yes, I'm a musician and it would be cool to play with the Beach Boys, but I don't bitch about any of the regular backing band. They're talented musicians and have my respect. Wouldn't it be cool to be in Totten's position? He's the musical director, he calls a lot of the shots. That's what Carl used to do!

This isn't a case of "well, if I can't have it, neither should he!" I wish I was in Al or Dave's position in 1961, or Bruce's position in 1965. Those are opportunities I would LOVE.

But Stamos in 2012? how can you even make the comparison?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2012, 12:05:08 PM »

I meant it in the sense of just being able to go on the stage with the band and be a jackass for two hours like Stamos does. Maybe you wouldn't be a jackass. Maybe you'd be very quiet and calm and sing along. But who wouldn't love to sing with the Beach Boys for one gig?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »

Yes, I think a lot of people would love to sing with the Beach Boys. but I think using jealously as a big reason people don't like Stamos is inaccurate.

there's a lot of other things to be jealous about when it comes to John Stamos. he has a lifetime pass to Disneyland. he used to be married to a supermodel. but do I complain about Stamos's role as a husband/lover or say he takes away from other people's Disneyland experience? no, because he probably does fine at those things. (well, he got divorced, but eh, so does everyone these days)

and for what it's worth I nearly got kicked out of a band because people were complaining that I was too calm and lifeless on stage.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »

I meant it in the sense of just being able to go on the stage with the band and be a jackass for two hours like Stamos does. Maybe you wouldn't be a jackass. Maybe you'd be very quiet and calm and sing along. But who wouldn't love to sing with the Beach Boys for one gig?

I really don't mind if he makes a guest appearance and sings along for one gig. Or even a few gigs. But, tweeting that you're glad to be back with The Beach Boys and getting yourself included in the publicity picture goes just a bit too far towards pseudo-band member status.  And, no matter how hard John Stamos wants it,  he's just not a Beach Boy.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »

Jason
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2012, 02:20:56 PM »

I really don't mind if he makes a guest appearance and sings along for one gig. Or even a few gigs. But, tweeting that you're glad to be back with The Beach Boys and getting yourself included in the publicity picture goes just a bit too far towards pseudo-band member status.  And, no matter how hard John Stamos wants it,  he's just not a Beach Boy.

I don't think he thinks he's a Beach Boy. I doubt even Michael considers him a Beach Boy. I know he's not a Beach Boy. As far as the publicity picture, who knows why that was the way it was? Besides, if he were to be considered a Beach Boy, that means you'd have to consider higher-profile sidemen like Daryl Dragon, Billy Hinsche, Ed Carter, Mike Kowalski, Joel Peskin, Mike Meros, Charles Lloyd, Adrian Baker, Richie Cannata and Jeff Foskett to be "Beach Boys".
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2012, 02:32:57 PM »

He's talking about the shirt, right?
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »

I'm sure there'll be plenty of good shows to come. With special guests. Good seats still available.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2012, 02:50:24 PM »

He should just get Dave Coulier. That would be the funniest thing ever.

Cut. It. Out.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2012, 03:58:21 PM »

I'm sure there'll be plenty of good shows to come. With special guests. Good seats still available.

LOL  LOL  LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx