gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:58:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys: Stamos, Love, Johnston  (Read 80443 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 10:03:17 PM »

Seems like Bob Saget is the hip one these days.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 12:22:15 AM »

I'm not sure I'll ever completely understand the vitriol for Stamos. I wish he'd stop playing drums, but I don't see what's any different about him playing guitar and singing vs. Christian Love doing the same. Do people just hate actors? I honestly think its cool that Stamos wants to do this, he's definitely making less money/feeding his "ego" less touring with "The Beach Boys" than he would be acting.

Uh, Christian Love is actually a good musician?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 12:23:49 AM »

I'm not sure I'll ever completely understand the vitriol for Stamos. I wish he'd stop playing drums, but I don't see what's any different about him playing guitar and singing vs. Christian Love doing the same. Do people just hate actors? I honestly think its cool that Stamos wants to do this, he's definitely making less money/feeding his "ego" less touring with "The Beach Boys" than he would be acting.

I think it's because it reeks of Mike trying to be "hip". What Mike doesn't understand is that nobody really thinks Stamos is hip. And it reinforces the idea that Mike is out of touch. And Stamos playing with them is also just lame because he doesn't really deserve to be up there. What did he do to deserve to play on stage with The Beach Boys. Even The Beach Boys kids deserve it more, because they actually PROVED they deserved it by proving their musical chops.

The Beach Boys kids are a good comparison. The clips of them at the bowl showed a lot of respect to the occasion and they performed in that manner. Stamos posing with his guitar is more fitting to a KISS or Areosmith concert and just makes him look like a wannabe. There are bands that have that image. Fine. But it ain't the Beach Boys, be it the C50 or Mike and Bruce line-ups.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 12:54:18 AM »

John Stamos is the ultimate wannabe Beach Boy. The worst part is he tries to fill into the macho niche once occupied by Dennis Wilson. He fails at doing so to a complete extent.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 01:23:06 AM »

John Stamos is the ultimate wannabe Beach Boy. The worst part is he tries to fill into the macho niche once occupied by Dennis Wilson. He fails at doing so to a complete extent.

His main value to "Mike/Bruce show" is that he brings in the good looking babes to the after show festivities.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:29:45 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 01:32:15 AM »

One of the highlights of the reunion tour was when Stamos showing up and clowning was shut down at the request of the pros in Brian's camp...quickly and decisively, so that everybody could focus on putting on a great show.
MBE
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 01:43:50 AM »

Stamos plain sucks.
adloc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 02:01:37 AM »

It's like the C50 tour changed nothing.

Were back to where we began

Yay! Now this board can go on for ever and ever!

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 02:33:28 AM »

I think it's because it reeks of Mike trying to be "hip". What Mike doesn't understand is that nobody really thinks Stamos is hip. And it reinforces the idea that Mike is out of touch. And Stamos playing with them is also just lame because he doesn't really deserve to be up there. What did he do to deserve to play on stage with The Beach Boys. Even The Beach Boys kids deserve it more, because they actually PROVED they deserved it by proving their musical chops.

The Beach Boys kids are a good comparison. The clips of them at the bowl showed a lot of respect to the occasion and they performed in that manner. Stamos posing with his guitar is more fitting to a KISS or Areosmith concert and just makes him look like a wannabe. There are bands that have that image. Fine. But it ain't the Beach Boys, be it the C50 or Mike and Bruce line-ups.
It's not the image of the Beach Boys you want you mean. Because he does embody what the Beach Boys have been since the early-80s what with the cheerleaders, hot rods taking them on stage, leis, Kokomo, Stars & Stripes, surf boards on stage, Nascar album, etc. etc.

When has he done that? Seems like you're creating reasons to hate him.

What? When? How? Show examples.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 03:03:27 AM »

the only example needed: unlike Stamos, they keep his guitar plugged in.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 04:38:30 AM »

the only example needed: unlike Stamos, they keep his guitar plugged in.

ROFL!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 04:43:03 AM »

It's not the image of the Beach Boys you want you mean. Because he does embody what the Beach Boys have been since the early-80s what with the cheerleaders, hot rods taking them on stage, leis, Kokomo, Stars & Stripes, surf boards on stage, Nascar album, etc. etc.

When has he done that? Seems like you're creating reasons to hate him.

by singing Forever in an utterly tasteless fashion designed to portray him as the macho/cool yet emotional Beach Boy, just what Dennis was during the 70's. Playing drums, and his unplugged electric guitar so that he can be more of a 'rock star'. Utterly disgusting the whole thing. I don't care if he loves the band, so do many others. It's just cheese meets cheese. too much goshdarn cheese!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 04:50:32 AM »

Drawing a line in the sand when it comes to the BBs and cheese is always going to be a hotly contested matter of opinion. But as for Stamos, I thinly we can all agree. Too lame. Just... Far too lame
Nicko1234
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2012, 04:50:56 AM »

[/quote]

by singing Forever in an utterly tasteless fashion designed to portray him as the macho/cool yet emotional Beach Boy, just what Dennis was during the 70's. Playing drums, and his unplugged electric guitar so that he can be more of a 'rock star'. Utterly disgusting the whole thing. I don't care if he loves the band, so do many others. It's just cheese meets cheese. too much goshdarn cheese!
[/quote]

You got a bit confused there didn`t you...
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2012, 04:54:22 AM »

Not having a personal dig at Stamos, he's probably a quite a nice bloke and a fellow Beach Boys lover, but having him on  stage is just totally unnecessary, musically and otherwise. The best thing he could do is understand this and keep his appearances to a minimum, introduce them at gigs occasionally, but not try and join the band...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2012, 06:15:08 AM »

If the kids don't hear the songs on tv the music will die...

http://www.kvue.com/video/featured-videos/WEB-EXTRA-John-Stamos-talks-about-performing-with-The-Beach-Boys-172893881.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2012, 06:25:48 AM »

"John, I know you are a very talented musician in your own right..."  Azn

Then when being asked about what it is he actually does onstage he suavely changes the topic to him 'promoting' the BBs on TV..  LOL

And ah yes.. Bruce back in shorts, of course.  3D
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2012, 07:19:04 AM »

This just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Making Stamos so prominent immediately after the whole "Brian's fired" kerfuffle just seems to be another example of how clueless Mike can be about his image. Rightly or wrongly, it seems to be saying, "No, we don't want Brian, Al or David... actual Beach Boys... touring with The Beach Boys. But, look! We've got John Stamos pretending to be Dennis! Buy tickets, now!"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:19:59 AM by Cyncie » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2012, 07:23:12 AM »

The one thing I don't understand is that the average household will not know the name Mike Love or Brian Wilson, but will almost certainly know who John Stamos is - so why is he always tagging along with them? It's just that he never looks like he's a star in that line-up. It's almost like take your kid to work day, and Stamos is there with a sheepish grin rawking out on an unplugged guitar.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 08:18:52 AM »

My vote for "Ultimate Wannabe Beach Boy" goes to Chuck Williams "a.k.a BB1.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2012, 08:55:13 AM »

The one thing I don't understand is that the average household will not know the name Mike Love or Brian Wilson, but will almost certainly know who John Stamos is - so why is he always tagging along with them? It's just that he never looks like he's a star in that line-up. It's almost like take your kid to work day, and Stamos is there with a sheepish grin rawking out on an unplugged guitar.

Take your kid to work day. Well said.
HEY...LOOKAT ME! I'M RAWKIN!

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2012, 08:58:41 AM »

John Stamos is a guitar god.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2012, 09:02:54 AM »

I think Dennis was splashing in his grave when this happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuCz8JeMhuQ

D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »

OMG, the disgrace - I'm scarred for lfe, I wish I could un-see what I've just seen ! What was that quote from Dennis himself about karma ?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »

Right. Because Denny would have nailed it in one take.

And by "it" I mean the female dance cast, of course.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx