gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681114 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 11:43:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight/BW88 discussion...  (Read 22404 times)
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »

Hmm, I've only ever heard the 2000 mix, now I am curious.

IIRC, and I'm going from the memory of an old newsgroup post by him, Linett chalked up the errors to simply pulling earlier, first-generation mixes for the respective tracks on the remastered CD, vs. the original release being assembled from a variety of later mixes. That is, it was simply a mistake on his part. On the other hand, he was able to fix the intro on "There's So Many" -- as it was on the original LP.

At one point, he mentioned that there would be a corrected version of the remaster, but that obviously never came to fruition.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »

The main differences present on the mistakenly released early mixes include some additional clunky synth notes on "Love & Mercy" and the lack of the high falsetto part on the coda to "Melt Away". I believe there are some different drum tracks as well on certain songs. The extra notes in "Love & Mercy" is kind of annoying, but the lack of the high falsetto on the "Melt Away" coda is a deal-breaker for me; that additional vocal is the sweetest part of one of Brian's finest solo recordings.

"Let It Shine" is a different mix on the 2000, as well.

The "Melt Away" vocal is apparently by an anonymous female singer; it is not falsetto.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »

The main differences present on the mistakenly released early mixes include some additional clunky synth notes on "Love & Mercy" and the lack of the high falsetto part on the coda to "Melt Away". I believe there are some different drum tracks as well on certain songs. The extra notes in "Love & Mercy" is kind of annoying, but the lack of the high falsetto on the "Melt Away" coda is a deal-breaker for me; that additional vocal is the sweetest part of one of Brian's finest solo recordings.

The "Melt Away" vocal is apparently by an anonymous female singer; it is not falsetto.

False.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »

False.

Please see earlier threads on this topic. It was covered extensively.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »

I take it that due to the different mastering on the copies, I wouldn't be able to pull up the songs from the remaster and the original cd and invert one against the other to see just what is different? 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2012, 11:32:41 PM »

Always liked "Doin' Time On Planet Earth".

Also liked the early version of "Walkin The Line" with Terence Trent D'Arby singing it.

Always liked Let's Go To Heaven In My Car" and "Daddy's Little Girl" too. Ol' Gary Usher's kid played lead on "Let's Go To Heaven".
It took me a little time to get used to the sound on "Let's Go to Heaven"....it sounded so 80's, and even though I'd heard the Beach Boys 85 album and "Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue", it still came as a jolt....but I grew to love it. Was kind of a nice warm up for the album a year later.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2012, 02:27:37 AM »

"Daddy's Little Girl" is a big favorite, somewhere in between Love You and Sweet Insanity with some mid-60s stuff thrown in.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2012, 03:50:14 AM »

I heard it at the end of Police Academy-4 (not the best of the series, btw)

TAKE THAT BACK!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:52:11 AM by Jukka » Logged

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2012, 05:03:50 AM »

...At one point, he mentioned that there would be a corrected version of the remaster, but that obviously never came to fruition.

It did as I have a corrected version of the Rhino remaster. To get it, however, I needed to mail my incorrect CD to Rhino for them to mail me the corrected version (this was immediately after the release). I don't believe Rhino did a recall on the first shipment and the title probably wasn't popular enough to warrant a second run to be issued to stores, so the majority of the copies out there contain the incorrect mixes.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2012, 05:24:42 AM »

...At one point, he mentioned that there would be a corrected version of the remaster, but that obviously never came to fruition.

It did as I have a corrected version of the Rhino remaster. To get it, however, I needed to mail my incorrect CD to Rhino for them to mail me the corrected version (this was immediately after the release). I don't believe Rhino did a recall on the first shipment and the title probably wasn't popular enough to warrant a second run to be issued to stores, so the majority of the copies out there contain the incorrect mixes.

Ahhh...good to know. I remember people were waiting for word of a corrected version. It must have slipped through the cracks for me, as I still have the "bad" one.

(That... or I did hear of the replacement at the time and, having the the original CD, simply decided to keep the the one with the alt. mixes thinking it would be a collectible. I honestly can't remember!) Smiley
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:37:17 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »

In Love And Mercy, when Brian sings "I was lying in my room when the news came on TV..." am I the only one who, every single time, first hears him saying "I was lying in my room in the nude..."?  And then I think of that photo of naked Brian in a hotel room.

Just me?  Good. Smiley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2012, 11:57:05 AM »

I also very much like the version of "Love And Mercy" with the extra verse. 

"I was praying to a God who just didn't seam to hear
The blessings we need the most are what we all fear."

Did he do that at the Malibu clinic? He did Love and Mercy at some Malibu clinic for kids or whatever it was and I think somebody (Don Was?) who was there said there wasn't a dry eye in the place after that.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »

Also liked the early version of "Walkin The Line" with Terence Trent D'Arby singing it.

Always liked Let's Go To Heaven In My Car" and "Daddy's Little Girl" too. Ol' Gary Usher's kid played lead on "Let's Go To Heaven".
It took me a little time to get used to the sound on "Let's Go to Heaven"....it sounded so 80's, and even though I'd heard the Beach Boys 85 album and "Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue", it still came as a jolt....but I grew to love it. Was kind of a nice warm up for the album a year later.

Well, the thing that jolted me around that time (1987) was the California Dream Barbie that I bought for my little daughter. That little blue flexi single was what I was after! Years later she asked me what I did with it - I told her it must have jumped out of the box into my record collection!
https://www.wfmu.org/MACrec/barbie2.html

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2012, 06:42:54 PM »

Has this ever been released or even circulated in its entirety? I thought all we had the snippet that appears at the end of the 2000 BW reissue.

I like these, too -- was sorry "Daddy's Little Girl" didn't make it to the 2000 BW reissue in place of the "Night Time" backing track... tracking down the SHE'S OUT OF CONTROL soundtrack on CD ("Daddy's" only official CD appearance, as far as I know) took some time...

Agree with earlier posters that "Being With the One You Love" would have made a good album track. "Too Much Sugar" definitely belongs in b-side land, though...
pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »

For my wishlist: A good collection of 80s outtakes, and not just SWEET INSANITY stuff.

Likelihood of this happening (at least in Brian's lifetime)? Yes, very very very low...
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2012, 06:48:16 PM »

Has this ever been released or even circulated in its entirety? I thought all we had the snippet that appears at the end of the 2000 BW reissue.

Not officially, but it's definitely circulating in full. I like that one more. Feels a little more BW to me. BWTOYL sounds Landynated. Then again, could be because I heard DTOPE first.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2012, 06:50:36 PM »

In Love And Mercy, when Brian sings "I was lying in my room when the news came on TV..." am I the only one who, every single time, first hears him saying "I was lying in my room in the nude..."?  And then I think of that photo of naked Brian in a hotel room.

Just me?  Good. Smiley

The song will never be the same for me again.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2012, 08:51:38 PM »

Not officially, but it's definitely circulating in full. I like that one more. Feels a little more BW to me. BWTOYL sounds Landynated. Then again, could be because I heard DTOPE first.

I used to have a very low quality mp3 of Brian playing it on Rodney Bingenheimer's show.  I don't have it anymore though and I forget where I downloaded it from.  But I recall that I thought it was pretty stupid.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2012, 09:17:29 PM »

Doin Time on Planet Earth was tailored for a film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095047/
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2012, 09:19:19 PM »

I used to have a very low quality mp3 of Brian playing it on Rodney Bingenheimer's show.  I don't have it anymore though and I forget where I downloaded it from.  But I recall that I thought it was pretty stupid.

The rare tunes that he played on that DJ stint, including the Terence Trent D'Arby to the fore mix of Walkin' The Line, can all be found on the Surfin' Rarities Vol. 6 bootleg.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2012, 09:43:53 PM »

Doin Time on Planet Earth was tailored for a film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095047/

How come the Beach Boys never recorded songs for good movies?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »

The alternate version of Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight can be found on the "Come Back Brian" boot, along with some other alternate takes and demos.

http://www.vigotone.com/vigotone/vigotone125.htm

Another one of my personal favorite(s):  Black Widow/In The Nightime/Let's Do It Again.  All of 'em.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2012, 09:52:22 PM »

The alternate version of Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight can be found on the "Come Back Brian" boot, along with some other alternate takes and demos.

http://www.vigotone.com/vigotone/vigotone125.htm

Another one of my personal favorite(s):  Black Widow/In The Nightime/Let's Do It Again.  All of 'em.

GREAT bootleg there. Love all those tunes you mentioned, and Heavenly Bodies as well. And it even has that OUTTAKE Bells Of Madness!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »

Yeah, it's an old boot, but that rare outtake of "Bells of Madness" definitely makes it worth seeking out.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2012, 06:18:57 AM »

I heard it at the end of Police Academy-4 (not the best of the series, btw)

TAKE THAT BACK!

The first 4 movies were all great. When Guttenberg left (and along with him others) they really turned terrible.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx