gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:52:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jim Gordon  (Read 4107 times)
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:27:19 AM »

I am looking at doing some fairly in-depth research about Jim Gordon and would like a few pointers to where to find interviews and the like prior to his internment. I have the Rolling Stone article from 1985 which deals with his mental decline, but would like to find material from his hey day as a world class drummer. Any help would be most appreciated.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:17:18 AM »

Looked a bit into Jim's career myself during research on my BREAD biography (he was the bands first choice for the drum stool having provided the rhythm on their debut album) and there's a fair bit to found if you Google him. I also found this image - the only one I know of from recent years, although this was back in the 90's ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »

I know he ended up as the Gotham City police commissioner.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »

Hah!

Can't remember the author off of the top of my head... but there was just a book released about "the Wrecking Crew" and their was an entire chapter devoted to Gordon... much of which talked about his actual work in the studio.  Might be a good starting point.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »

Hahhaha, i came in that thread to see that  Grin
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »

Yipes. Derek and the Gallows.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 12:46:34 PM »

Thanks for the book tip. It is ordered and will be in my hands tomorrow. Looking forward to reading it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 12:12:05 PM »

I just realized while listening to the Leiber&Stoller produced "Very rare" album by T-Bone Walker, that Jim Gordon plays drums on said album. There's a picture of all the players in the booklet. The album is from 1973.

Found these pictures online:

Fantastic album, btw. Check it out. I believe it was T-Bone's last or next to last record.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 01:06:23 PM »

I wasn't aware that he played on Surfin Safari. On which tracks can he be heard?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 09:00:52 AM »

That is quite an all-star lineup of session legends on that album! It kind of backs up the notion that at this time in history, you could literally make some calls and hire these guys - Not as big of a deal as I think some might think it was in retrospect, given the weight of some of those musicians in modern times. But yes - If you had the money, and if they were available and willing to play the session, you could book them.

Interesting aside - Check out T-Bone's 50's sessions from LA too, most released on Atlantic's "T-Bone Blues" lp. He has some similarly heavy hitter session cats on his tracks, the original LA "Wrecking Crew" before there was a Wrecking Crew,  including both Plas and Ray Johnson, Earl Palmer, and Barney Kessel playing some very unexpected instruments. Cool stuff.

Jim Gordon is one of my absolute all-time favorite drummers. Hands-down, one of the best groove players of that era. Amazing and tragic.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 11:02:17 AM »

That is quite an all-star lineup of session legends on that album! It kind of backs up the notion that at this time in history, you could literally make some calls and hire these guys - Not as big of a deal as I think some might think it was in retrospect, given the weight of some of those musicians in modern times. But yes - If you had the money, and if they were available and willing to play the session, you could book them.

Interesting aside - Check out T-Bone's 50's sessions from LA too, most released on Atlantic's "T-Bone Blues" lp. He has some similarly heavy hitter session cats on his tracks, the original LA "Wrecking Crew" before there was a Wrecking Crew,  including both Plas and Ray Johnson, Earl Palmer, and Barney Kessel playing some very unexpected instruments. Cool stuff.

Jim Gordon is one of my absolute all-time favorite drummers. Hands-down, one of the best groove players of that era. Amazing and tragic.

Never mind session legends, what about just plain legends?  Dizzy Gillespie?  One of the greatest trumpet players of all time (I would argue the greatest, but that's just me).  Gerry Mulligan isn't too shabby either.  I have to check out that album!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:02:49 AM by marcella27 » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 05:09:18 AM »

Interesting aside - Check out T-Bone's 50's sessions from LA too, most released on Atlantic's "T-Bone Blues" lp. He has some similarly heavy hitter session cats on his tracks, the original LA "Wrecking Crew" before there was a Wrecking Crew,  including both Plas and Ray Johnson, Earl Palmer, and Barney Kessel playing some very unexpected instruments. Cool stuff.

Never mind session legends, what about just plain legends?  Dizzy Gillespie?  One of the greatest trumpet players of all time (I would argue the greatest, but that's just me).  Gerry Mulligan isn't too shabby either.  I have to check out that album!

Do that! Leiber & Stoller know how to produc this stuff and the musicians obviously know how to play. You even will hear an electric sitar on one song. Through and through a beautiful alum.

Fun fact: It was obviously this album that Elvis Presley (who had the Sweet Inspirations on backup in studio and on stage) listened to around his "Raised on Rock" album from the same year (recorded at Stax), as he covered three of the songs appearing on this album and using the same arrangements. Unfortunately said album is nothing I would recommend listening to (except more or less one standout song) as he was up to his head full of pills and sounds like he was falling asleep at any second.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 06:28:46 AM »

Just saw from C-Man's thread that Joe Osborne, who is also featured on the T-Bone album, recently passed away

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx