gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:28:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you listen to the albums?  (Read 2847 times)
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2019, 04:36:14 PM »

In my opinion, The Beach Boys wasn't that good at deciding the song order on their albums. And why did they shelve so much great material?..
My question to all of you is how do you listen to the albums? Do you listen to the original or do you rearrange them?

As an example, here's my version of Holland:

1. Steamboat
2. Mt. Vernon And Fairway
3. Only With You
4. I’m The Pied Piper
5. Sail On, Sailor
6. Better Get Back In Bed
7. Big Sur
8. The Beaks Of Eagles
9. California
10. I’m The Pied Piper
11. Funky Pretty
12. Leaving This Town
13. Radio King Dom
14. The Trader

It's an amazing album nevertheless. But the flow of this version makes the album even better imo.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:45:01 PM by twentytwenty » Logged
Jules
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 03:21:58 AM »

I listen to the songs that they are on the record - laziness in my instance. Note that in the days of 'Holland' you were limited to say 23 minutes per side which dictated what songs went on which side (A or B). Peter Gabriel on one of his albums ('So'?) reoerdered the songs on CD reissue the way he wanted them originally (but could not because of the time limitations of vinyl) - he spoke about this in an interview.

Holland is one of my favoritwe albums. I have an early German version with 'We got love' on it. They issued 300 or so before they realised their mistake.  I have also got some sleeves with 'We got love' on, although the song is not on the enclosed vinyl. WEA really made a pig's breakfast of the release.

PS Although I have lurked for years on this site, this is my first posting here. All the best to all!
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 07:09:00 AM »

I listen to the songs that they are on the record - laziness in my instance. Note that in the days of 'Holland' you were limited to say 23 minutes per side which dictated what songs went on which side (A or B). Peter Gabriel on one of his albums ('So'?) reoerdered the songs on CD reissue the way he wanted them originally (but could not because of the time limitations of vinyl) - he spoke about this in an interview.

Holland is one of my favoritwe albums. I have an early German version with 'We got love' on it. They issued 300 or so before they realised their mistake.  I have also got some sleeves with 'We got love' on, although the song is not on the enclosed vinyl. WEA really made a pig's breakfast of the release.

PS Although I have lurked for years on this site, this is my first posting here. All the best to all!

Interesting.. Yeah it’s one of my favorites as well! Did you give my version a chance? If so what did you think?

Why isn’t We Got Love on the album? It’s pretty weird, the didn’t release it, but they did include it on the live album.. That’s weird, I love that son though, too bad it’s not on Spotify, it would have been included on my Holland version in a heartbeat..
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:25:27 AM »

I always hear it in order as intended. If I don’t like something I skip it

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 06:30:38 PM »

With my ears?
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 12:34:28 PM »

With my ears?
Oh jokester you..!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 01:41:22 PM »

With my ears?

Lol I’d been resisting making the same joke

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 02:22:57 PM »

Welcome Jules...nice to have you with us. And I hope the original poster will not be taken aback by the humor applied to the question in several of the responses: that's the SS hallmark. (While other boards may attempt to imitate it, they can't capture that edgy-but-silly tonality that wafts through the place the way cannabis suffuses the air these days in Carpinteria...)

Warners definitely had a contentious relationship with the band per their releases, but I think most of their concerns about specific songs were pretty reasonable. SUNFLOWER was certainly improved by the back-and-forth, even though it proved to be of no avail WRT the LP's performance on the charts.

If anything, Warners seemed to have no idea how to promote the group once it had product from them. If we take VDP at his word, he had to strong-arm executives to get behind the push to give SURF'S UP its title, which was one of the few canny marketing decisions that emanated out of Burbank during those times.

As for the initial question at hand: I listen to HOLLAND in several ways. Most often in a sequence of songs that permits me to recapture my nineteen-year-old state of mind (which includes tracks from adjacent LPs); then as a selection of favorites culled from the LP which leaves out a portion of it; and, more occasionally (or should that be less frequently?) in the LP/CD track order, as originally decreed and, as others noted, mandated by the original format in which the material was first encountered (two-sided vinyl LP).

I wonder if another way of asking such a question is to see which LPs seem to be least-optimally sequenced. People might list LPs that they most often rearrange upon listening. That might produce an interesting survey...
Crack Smokerson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 10:17:47 PM »

I didn't think any of these albums were for listening to. I thought they were just for talking about.

The poster formerly known as stack-o-tracks
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 05:12:57 AM »

From beginning to end, as a whole, not skipping anything. Preferably without distractions.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 11:38:25 AM »

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:52:28 PM by Fro-Yo Showboat » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx