gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:10:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Progressive Rock  (Read 5953 times)
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »

Any fans of Progressive Rock?

Personally, my favourite band is King Crimson. They seem just a lot greater and technically more fantastic than other bands like Genesis or Yes.

In The Court Of The Crimson King, Larks Tounges' In Aspic, Starless And Bible Black, Red and Discipline are some of the greatest albums (The first being probably the best of all, and my favourite album of all time).

I hate Collins-era Genesis, it's too new wave, too poppy and just sell out music, abandoning the Gabriel-era of not just doing it for the money, cause hey, that's what Prog Rock is all about. I've been obsessed by Gabriel's performance of Willow Farm from their 1973 concert at Shepperton, he's fantastic.

ELP's a little to self-indulgent and over-the-top. Yes is fantastic until Bruford left (I can't get into Topographic Oceans). Anything from the Canterbury scene is great.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:30:42 PM »

LOVE prog!

Yes after Bruford left: there is a lot to love.

Relayer is IMO the greatest prog album ever, and Going For The One (at least side 2) is a close second..... I actually prefer Alan White over Bruford with Yes. His playing on Relayer is unreal and his style is deceptively simpler than Bruford's. As a drummer myself, it was fairly easy decoding Bruford's Yes stuff. Once you learn the rudimentary (as in drum rudiments) core of those parts,  they're fairly easy to pull off because they are so precise to rudiments and counting and can be played in a very laid-back manner (he was cranked way up there on the records: to great effect). White's playing (particularly on Gates Of Delirium and Awaken) is far more difficult and physically taxing to pull off. He steers away from where it feels natural to go time/accent-wise and it takes an insane amount of exertion and concentration to hit all the marks.... Don't count him out as a lazy "rock" drummer, like so many do, is all I'm sayin. Then again, the drum track on Instant Karma is my fave of anyone/ever so I'm biased.

Otherwise you're damn straight regarding King Crimson....

I'm cold on Gabriel era Genisis but LOVE the first few Collins era albums, and Gabriel is one of my top 5 solo guys ever, so who knows what my problem is.

Steve Hackett has some great solo stuff too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:34:33 PM by Erik H » Logged
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:46:44 PM »

LOVE prog!

Yes after Bruford left: there is a lot to love.

Relayer is IMO the greatest prog album ever, and Going For The One (at least side 2) is a close second..... I actually prefer Alan White over Bruford with Yes. His playing on Relayer is unreal and his style is deceptively simpler than Bruford's. As a drummer myself, it was fairly easy decoding Bruford's Yes stuff. Once you learn the rudimentary (as in drum rudiments) core of those parts,  they're fairly easy to pull off because they are so precise to rudiments and counting and can be played in a very laid-back manner (he was cranked way up there on the records: to great effect). White's playing (particularly on Gates Of Delirium and Awaken) is far more difficult and physically taxing to pull off. He steers away from where it feels natural to go time/accent-wise and it takes an insane amount of exertion and concentration to hit all the marks.... Don't count him out as a lazy "rock" drummer, like so many do, is all I'm sayin. Then again, the drum track on Instant Karma is my fave of anyone/ever so I'm biased.

Otherwise you're damn straight regarding King Crimson....

I'm cold on Gabriel era Genisis but LOVE the first few Collins era albums, and Gabriel is one of my top 5 solo guys ever, so who knows what my problem is.

Steve Hackett has some great solo stuff too.

I guess I enjoy Bruford's drumming much more when I heard him say in this documentary on the BBC, Prog Britannia that "It shouldn't be drummer's job to keep time, if you wanted time, use a metronome". I just appreciate his style much more. The drumming on 21st Century Schizoid Man is one of my favourite pieces I've ever heard, on the note of drumming. It's sad Michael Giles didn't really do anything of note apart from Crimson.

Trick Of The Tail was alright but Abacab and the others are just...lame. Cheezy 80's stuff with an emphasis on getting hit singles out. Don't get me wrong, Phil Collins had a pretty good, catchy solo career.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:35:53 PM »

Does anybody here like Can? Jaki Liebezeit is one of the greatest drummers of all time, bar none.

A discipline daddy.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 11:24:25 PM »

Yes is fantastic until Bruford left (I can't get into Topographic Oceans).
Hiding somewhere under heaps of filler is Yes' best album. Just cut it down to your liking and get ready for your mind to be blown.

A discipline daddy.
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 04:10:53 AM »

Yes is fantastic until Bruford left (I can't get into Topographic Oceans).
Hiding somewhere under heaps of filler is Yes' best album. Just cut it down to your liking and get ready for your mind to be blown.

I'll try but it's too much. It reminds too much of what ELP was becoming; too self-indulgent and just wankerish.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »

Can is amazing!!!!!

Liebezeit is unreal!!!!

Topographic Oceans hits the mark every so often. I ALWAYS dig side 4 in it's entirety and the opening sections of side one are pretty awesome. I think it's a great album, but one that requires a bit too much work to take in.

Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »

After repeated listening on long train journeys TFTO is now my favourite Yes album above Close To The Edge!

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 07:20:08 PM »

In the mid 70s I had a ton of prog Lps. Crimson was much my favorite...I even used to listen to Lizard back then. Even Earthbound....something soothing about that murky cassette sound. Then there was Van Der Graaf Generator/Hammill. And Genesis, though I quit listening to 'em well before "Follow You Follow Me." The Groundhogs (if you count TS McPhee's Mellotron accents as prog). Gong, all the Canterbury stuff (except Caravan for some reason) everything German from Can to both Amon Duuls to Faust to Tangerine Dream. Even Jade Warrior.

And Gentle Giant. Now that outfit's worth mentioning here because when they got into their quasi madrigal harmonizing they had kinda something in common with the BBs....though their final poppy albums, which actually show a little BBs influence here and there, were not so inspired...
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 07:22:35 PM »

And had all the Yes records from the third one to Relayer, all the ELPs up to Works...
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 05:52:51 AM »

Nothing against prog, in fact I'm quite fond of it. However, Relayer by Yes is the only album that has managed to make me feel physicallly ill. I bought it, listened to it (three times, trying to get it) and returned it to store the very same day, because the inhuman music inside made me feel nauseous.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 12:25:15 PM »

This year I spend most of my time discovering Genesis music and it opened another world for me. Selling England by the Pound and the Lamb are simply awesome but I still enjoy the Collins era, even ABACAB. The last time they really tried to experiment and the title track rocks and Man on the Corner might be one of Phil's best songs, he has ever written. The left over tracks are fun as well (Paperlate, Me & Virgil). I've got to admit I prefer Phil's voice and I think they got live much better in the late 70ies and 80ies. If I could pick one tour it would be the Encore '82 (just prior to the one off reunion) where they had the best mix of new and old songs (Suppers Ready, Dance on a Volcano, etc.)

Any thoughts on the band "Marillion"? Just a Genesis knock off? Any albums good without their first singer Fish? Or any other prog band you'd recommend? I am not that interested in ultra long guitar solos, I prefer more emphasis on bass and keys.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 01:02:55 PM »

King Crimson is great stuff.....it's just so much more fun to listen to Rush and Coheed Cambria.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Jason
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 01:52:31 PM »

I'd like to add The Moody Blues, Os Mutantes, Magma, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, and Henry Cow to the bands already mentioned.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »

Should The Moodies really count as prog? This seems to have caused them some trouble as they "don't have the chops" that the guys from Yes or King Crimson have yet they are way too prog for the Rolling Stone/Rock contingent.
Jason
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »

I think that the Moodies have a singular style of music...they're probably more art rock than prog. I don't much consider them to be prog, either way.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 10:02:30 PM »

This year I spend most of my time discovering Genesis music and it opened another world for me. Selling England by the Pound and the Lamb are simply awesome but I still enjoy the Collins era, even ABACAB. The last time they really tried to experiment and the title track rocks and Man on the Corner might be one of Phil's best songs, he has ever written. The left over tracks are fun as well (Paperlate, Me & Virgil). I've got to admit I prefer Phil's voice and I think they got live much better in the late 70ies and 80ies. If I could pick one tour it would be the Encore '82 (just prior to the one off reunion) where they had the best mix of new and old songs (Suppers Ready, Dance on a Volcano, etc.)

Su-su-sussudio!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 11:05:55 PM »

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. Sussudio is a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 11:32:03 PM »

Surprised nobody mentioned The Soft Machine. Their first four albums are prog monsters.

A discipline daddy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 04:54:00 AM »

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. Sussudio is a great, great song, a personal favorite.
Aegir, is your real name Patrick Bateman? Shocked

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 05:25:04 AM »

ooh you got me. I was really hoping at least one person would respond to that and take it seriously. oh well.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »

I'd give Genesis the nod as to who is the best prog band ever. Until Gabriel left they didn't really put a foot wrong. I'm still trying to warm to King Crimson in the same way, but the constant line up shifting stopped the band from hitting the same heights. Also as great a player as he is, Robert Fripp often makes the mistake of showing how clever he is on his instrument as opposed to creating a catchy riff or chord sequence.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »

ooh you got me. I was really hoping at least one person would respond to that and take it seriously. oh well.

Aegir I'm with you. I used to try and hate Invisible Touch (mainly just because I was constantly told to) but if I ever happen upon In Too Deep, I have to go home and play it over and over and over and over again. It really is an absolutely perfect song/production/performance....

Funny story: I was in Albuquerque NM last year and I was at this hip little record store and there was a stack of new as of yet un-priced records that had just come in, and a sealed copy of Invisible Touch was among them. I asked what they wanted for it and they WOULD NOT LET ME PAY FOR IT and insisted I just take it..... I pleaded to let me give them something/anything, but they refused. It was their gift to me..... So, the mass public narrative is firmly in place.

I also happen to consider Duke the # 1 greatest concept album of all-time. It is certainly the easiest to relate to from a male perspective. What guy hasn't experienced that ugly and expansive barren and grey feeling after being dumped? That album encapsulates it all to well.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 07:31:03 AM »

Count me in as an Invisible Touch fan, there are far worse songs then "In Too Deep" and I can not take the argument "sounds too much like Phil Collins solo stuff", almost anything on We Can't Dance sounds more like Phil. The only song I don't care for is "Land of Confusion". "Domino" is awesome, especially in 5.1 if you happen to own the SACD boxes.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Jason
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »

I'd give Genesis the nod as to who is the best prog band ever. Until Gabriel left they didn't really put a foot wrong. I'm still trying to warm to King Crimson in the same way, but the constant line up shifting stopped the band from hitting the same heights. Also as great a player as he is, Robert Fripp often makes the mistake of showing how clever he is on his instrument as opposed to creating a catchy riff or chord sequence.

That's why King Crimson never bettered In the Court of the Crimson King. Fripp's best work after that album is on No Pussyfooting.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx