gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 04:29:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Progressive Rock  (Read 5981 times)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 09:21:52 PM »

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:23:02 PM by Crinkleman123 » Logged

A discipline daddy.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »

I'd give Genesis the nod as to who is the best prog band ever. Until Gabriel left they didn't really put a foot wrong. I'm still trying to warm to King Crimson in the same way, but the constant line up shifting stopped the band from hitting the same heights. Also as great a player as he is, Robert Fripp often makes the mistake of showing how clever he is on his instrument as opposed to creating a catchy riff or chord sequence.

That's why King Crimson never bettered In the Court of the Crimson King. Fripp's best work after that album is on No p*ssyfooting.
I dunno, Man. Lizard? Lark's Tongues In Aspic? Red? Discipline? Those are all masterpieces.

A discipline daddy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 02:28:00 AM »

When I first decided to try out King Crimson I bought "In the Court Of...., Lizard and Larks Tongues..." Only the first one really grabbed me. I still plan to check out some of the Adrian Belew era stuff at some point.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 12:54:31 PM »

I'd give Genesis the nod as to who is the best prog band ever. Until Gabriel left they didn't really put a foot wrong. I'm still trying to warm to King Crimson in the same way, but the constant line up shifting stopped the band from hitting the same heights. Also as great a player as he is, Robert Fripp often makes the mistake of showing how clever he is on his instrument as opposed to creating a catchy riff or chord sequence.

That's why King Crimson never bettered In the Court of the Crimson King. Fripp's best work after that album is on No p*ssyfooting.
I dunno, Man. Lizard? Lark's Tongues In Aspic? Red? Discipline? Those are all masterpieces.

RED is an absolute gem! Bruford seemed to even be awake for that one!

cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 03:51:43 AM »

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. Sussudio is a great, great song, a personal favorite.
Aegir, is your real name Patrick Bateman? Shocked

If Patrick Bateman was 10 years older what would he had listened to?

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 05:01:20 AM »

When I first decided to try out King Crimson I bought "In the Court Of...., Lizard and Larks Tongues..." Only the first one really grabbed me. I still plan to check out some of the Adrian Belew era stuff at some point.

Not the biggest KC fan but my favorite of theirs has always been Islands (despite its flaws, such as including the truly awful "Ladies of the Road"...). Also, personally I like In the Wake of Poseidon way better than In the Court, even though these two are very similar to each other stylistically.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 10:56:31 AM »

Not the biggest KC fan but my favorite of theirs has always been Islands (despite its flaws, such as including the truly awful "Ladies of the Road"...). Also, personally I like In the Wake of Poseidon way better than In the Court, even though these two are very similar to each other stylistically.
The last few minutes of the title track is one of the most profoundly beautiful moments in Rock N' Roll.

A discipline daddy.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 02:01:41 AM »

I love prog although the older I get the less patience I have for the length of the tunes, even though I don't find that to be self-indulgent as is often claimed.

I pretty much like most of Crim's music, a track or two there might be below average but the majority of it is great. I like the Larks/Starless/Red era Crimson best.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx