gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:54:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official thread for Brian & Al's Official Response to Mike/Bruce Band Tour in the LA Times  (Read 96834 times)
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:56:22 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-brian-wilson-al-jardine-respond-to-mike-love-on-beach-boys-flap-20121008,0,6270223.story?track=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=95857

Great read.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:56:41 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-brian-wilson-al-jardine-respond-to-mike-love-on-beach-boys-flap-20121008,0,6270223.story?page=1

headline says it all
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:57:02 AM »

damn you beat me
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:57:23 AM »

nevermind
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 07:58:46 AM »

Aw yeah, now we're talking.

Grab the popcorn and put your cursor on Refresh, kids. This thread's gonna be fun.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:59:35 AM »

This whole ordeal is a huge bummer.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:00:53 AM »

I just hope it's a an extremely clever marketing stunt...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 08:09:31 AM »

I just hope it's a an extremely clever marketing stunt...

Suspect it is.

Brian's line:
Quote from: Brian Wilson
That's it in a nutshell, all these conversations need to be between the shareholders, and I welcome Mike to call me.

… speaks volumes – since when weren't Brian and Mike able to call each other any time they liked? No need for an invitation via the LA Times.

Playing games with the fan base, nothing more.

And possibly a strong hint about a NY BB50 concert!

“We live in divisive times.”
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »

Oh you have got to be sh*tting me. This will culminate in either a) Al & Brian challenging Mike & Bruce to a duel on the red carpet at The Grammys next year or b) The Beach Boys 51st Anniversary Reunion Tour. Or possibly both.

It is fun to read and try and spot where the facade of writing in Brian's voice slips, such as in that line you quoted, John.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:16:51 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Nicko1234
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 08:21:25 AM »

An utterly ludicrous situation.  Smiley

The comments about Brian`s attorney suggesting a press release should be made and then Brian being blindsided by it and disappointed that Mike should say that it was Brian`s representative`s idea are bizarre...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 08:23:46 AM »

My goodness, it's going on and on. Brian (okay, he seldomly seems like he knows what's going on) and Al (okay, he's crazy) should know, after being in the business for over 50 years that Mike can't just break the contracts he had signed before the reunion tour. As someone else mentioned in another thread, brian, Al and David certainly won't play those shows without being paid.
I'm really happy to see how happy Brian was/is about being a Beach Boy again. But he (they) should definitely get better attorneys or for a change just talk personally with his bandmate/cousin, of course the same goes for Mike.

Great to see what kind of offers they got (Madison Square Garden? Wow) but what should Mike do? Cancel the shows he and Bruce booked before the Beach Boys tour for playing the Hollywood Bowl instead and leaving the people who bought tickets for the smaller Mike&Bruce show standing in the rain without getting a replacement?

I'm really not a fan of Mike but this time Brian and Al did the wrong thing imo. Of course both of them have every right to play in the Beach Boys and Brian imo is still the boss of the band. But you gotta be realistic in this case. If you want to go out again just talk about it in private and see when the next chance is.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 08:27:08 AM »

I am with Brian & Al on this one. If they have offers to play Madison Sq. Garden, Hollywood Bowl, etc. Then that blows Mike's argument out of the water.

I should modify my statement and say, getting back together after the New Year.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:29:18 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 08:28:49 AM »

Rocker, I'm going to get the controversy rolling and state that if Mike & Bruce booked their own shows during the reunion celebration, that would in fact make them the asshole. Oh, Mike of little faith?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 08:28:56 AM »

And here we go...

Sounds the Boys are getting offers to play some HUGE venues but we know how Mike feels about playing venues the require more that a van to play in.

Let's be honest, Mike really f***ed this up. Common sense should have prevailed on his part, he knew how things were going and the fact he booked shows while the tour was going on is so slimy.

I actually believe Brian and Al, they must be upset.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 08:31:07 AM »

Besides the Benefit show and the New Year's Eve show, which shows were booked during the Reunion Tour?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 08:32:20 AM »

Besides the Benefit show and the New Year's Eve show, which shows were booked during the Reunion Tour?

Anything that's already been announced - the tour only finished two weeks ago! And isn't there one on the cards for 2013?

Besides, even if they only booked one show it would still be the asshole move.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:33:50 AM by hypehat » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 08:34:55 AM »

Anything that's already been announced - the tour only finished two weeks ago! And isn't there one on the cards for 2013?

You are right, but there were shows booked prior to announcing the Reunion Tour, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 08:35:14 AM »

Look, Mike has been proving for five decades now that he's a prick. All the attempted revisionism by Mike, his publicist and members here can't change that. Mike's actions always speak louder than his words.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 08:35:42 AM »

Hmmm....Y'think Melinda actually wrote that?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »

This is crazy but now it is simple. Things are now clear cut:

1. I wanted proof that Brian wanted to continue touring as a Beach Boy and now I got it. No more speculating. We don't know to what extent, but he has now made his wishes known to SOME extent.

2. After the current Mike & Bruce shows are completed, shows that were booked months ago, it is up to the guys to meet, discuss, and VOTE as to the future of the group. Their respective votes will be PROOF as to their positions.

3. This goes for all of them....These issues should not have been aired in public. After living for 70 years, and being in the business for 51 years, they have learned nothing. Nothing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-brian-wilson-al-jardine-respond-to-mike-love-on-beach-boys-flap-20121008,0,6270223.story?page=1&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=95857&utm_source=dlvr.it&track=rss

Something that confuses me...

"After Mike booked a couple of shows with Bruce, Al and I were, of course, disappointed. Then there was confusion in some markets when photos of me, Al and David and the 50th reunion band appeared on websites advertising his shows.

At that point my attorney merely suggested to Mike's attorney that a possible press release in those markets might be appropriate to stop the confusion, which was in no one's best interest. That's it, plain and simple, and a strategy was open for discussion, which never happened.
That’s why I was completely blindsided by his press release. I had no idea that it was coming out, since it was crafted by Mike's personal PR firm without my knowledge or approval. No one in my camp would have approved it or the timing."

OK, so far so good. But...

"I'm disappointed that Mike would now say that the release was done at the request of my representative"

Errr... but it was, as stated just a few lines earlier. Brian's attorney made a suggestion and Mike's people acted upon it, slightly more so than was possibly expected (shades of Becket)... but fact is, according to what "Brian" has said, Mike issued his statement at the request/suggestion of Brian's representative.

BTW, according to Rolling Stone, Brian was aware of the October M&B shows back in late June, so I'm struggling to see exactly how that constitutes being "blindsided".

Confussed.  Undecided
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:40:19 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 08:39:57 AM »

Hmmm....Y'think Melinda actually wrote that?

Probably the mysterious Jean Siever

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 08:43:37 AM »

third thread...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 08:44:06 AM »

You are right, but there were shows booked prior to announcing the Reunion Tour, as well.

They had no compulsion about cancelling some shows with a symphony because of the reunion. So what?

If that piece is to be believed, Mike turned down more shows. Big shows. New Years Eve shows. Massive events. And for what?

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »

Pre-Holiday publicity to get people talking about the Beach Boys. IMO of course.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx