gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:31:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which would you choose?
Friends/20/20 - 46 (55.4%)
Smiley Smile/Wild Honey - 37 (44.6%)
Total Voters: 76

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ultimate Poll #2: Friends/20/20 vs. Smiley Smile/Wild Honey  (Read 26813 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:16:37 AM »

Another tough one, but I'm definitely gonna go with Friends/20/20.
Totally in love with Friends. It's just so sweet.
And I like 20/20 more than Wild Honey.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 06:42:59 AM »

Smiley & Wild Honey cannot be surpassed. They are just too weird to beat.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:44:08 AM »

Thank you, but props go out to Buddhahat for making the awesome twofer polls!

That said, I really love Smiley Smile of course, but something about Friends speaks to me personally.
Brian being able to create such a fun album, filled with love, in the middle of his troubled life. That does it for me.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 06:56:33 AM »

I went with Friends / 20/20. Friends is one of my favorite albums. I love the calming affect that it has on me. Great how it blasts you back into reality with the last track. 20/20 is proof that every good album does not have to be a Concept album. Good songs, sequencing and especially, performance can work just as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 06:57:32 AM »

I went with Friends / 20/20. Friends is one of my favorite albums. I love the calming affect that it has on me. Great how it blasts you back into reality with the last track. 20/20 is proof that every good album does not have to be a Concept album. Good songs, sequencing and especially, performance can work just as well.

My thoughts exactly!

- Dr. Seuss
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 07:08:33 AM »

props go out to Buddhahat for making the awesome twofer polls!

Yes, I know. Thanks to him too! Btw, you forgot to mention his Track Talk topics. I like them no less than 2-fer threads or even more!

Yes, of course!
He's awesome!

- Dr. Seuss
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 07:14:33 AM »

Friends/20/20

I could really care less about 20/20 (as an album), but Friends *nearly* tops Pet Sounds in my book.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 07:29:25 AM »

Friends/20/20

I could really care less about 20/20 (as an album), but Friends *nearly* tops Pet Sounds in my book.

Do you like 20/20 or Wild Honey more?

- Dr. Seuss
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 07:36:02 AM »

Friends/20/20

That's tough!

Wild Honey is more cohesive, but there are far more high points on 20/20. I'll go with Wild Honey just because I love the feel of that album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 07:39:01 AM »

Friends/20/20

That's tough!

Wild Honey is more cohesive, but there are far more high points on 20/20. I'll go with Wild Honey just because I love the feel of that album.

Carl definitely kicked some butt on that album.

- Dr. Seuss
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 07:49:05 AM »

This is much more difficult for me than the previous two-fer poll, but I'll have to go with Smiley Smile/Wild Honey because Smiley Smile is the album that made me a Beach Boys fan, and Wild Honey is possibly my favorite album.  It contains many of their most underrated songs, particularly "Aren't You Glad" and "Country Air," and "Darlin'" is one of their greatest top 40 songs.  Friends and 20/20 are both great albums too, though.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 07:58:11 AM »

This is much more difficult for me than the previous two-fer poll, but I'll have to go with Smiley Smile/Wild Honey because Smiley Smile is the album that made me a Beach Boys fan, and Wild Honey is possibly my favorite album.  It contains many of their most underrated songs, particularly "Aren't You Glad" and "Country Air," and "Darlin'" is one of their greatest top 40 songs.  Friends and 20/20 are both great albums too, though.

Aren't you glad is my favorite song on Wild Honey!
Or Let the wind blow.

- Dr. Seuss
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 08:29:01 AM »

Friends > Smiley Smile
20/20 = Wild Honey

I went with Friends/2020.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »

Gotta go with Friends / 20/20.  I really like all these albums and think they fall into a similar range of quality for different reasons, but I'd give the slight edge to both Friends and 20/20.  Friends is a consistently charming work while 20/20 has a number of really great, polished songs as they began to drift away from the more low-fi production style of this time.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 09:33:46 AM »

I can't believe that Smiley Smile/Wild Honey has more votes than the other 2-fer! I thought more posters will be for the Friends/20/20 one. Though we'll see.

Dead tie right now.
It's getting interesting!

- Dr. Seuss
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 09:43:51 AM »

Gotta go with Friends/20/20.
The run from the second side of 20/20, to Breakaway, Celebrate the News, We're Together Again and Ol' Man River just can't be beat.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »

This is a cruel poll.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »

Friends and Smiley are my two least favorite pre-Endless Summer BB albums and Wild Honey isn't too far from the bottom of my list but I'm actually a big fan of 20/20 so that one gets the nod from me.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »

Aren't you glad is my favorite song on Wild Honey!

Mine too.  It may even be my favorite song credited to B. Wilson/M. Love.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 11:21:18 AM »

Smiley Smile/Wild Honey was the CD that first got me into the Beach Boys, so i gotta vote for 'em! But Friends and 20/20 are both great, great albums, and Celebrate The News is by some considerable distance my favourite 2-fer bonus track.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »

This is a cruel poll.

Indeed it is!

Has to be smiley/wild honey as 20/20 is just too patchy for me.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 12:01:03 PM »

It was a great A-side, B-side 45 in 1969. I wore both sides out. I actually heard Break Away live (at my first Beach Boys show at Steel Pier in Atlantic City) before I ever heard the 45 or on the radio.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 12:31:54 PM »

these are my two favorite twofers. SS/WH wins by an inch because I like 20/20 slightly less than the rest. The bonus tracks on Friends/20/20 are amazing, though. Breakaway, Celebrate the News, Ol Man River, We're Together Again, Walk on By...

One time I was drunk at a party (and I was 18 and the rest of the kids ranged from 15-17) and I tried getting everyone to sing a different part to the "bad luck no more"/"I got news for you there ain't no blues I got news for you" part and it nearly worked but everyone kept on laughing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »

Friends all the way for me! Perfect album - even though Wild Honey comes pretty close.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 03:07:31 PM »

I'm surprised the results are so tight.

Friends/20/20 are great records but SS/WH are far more consistent

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx