gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:29:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which would you choose?
Friends/20/20 - 46 (55.4%)
Smiley Smile/Wild Honey - 37 (44.6%)
Total Voters: 76

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ultimate Poll #2: Friends/20/20 vs. Smiley Smile/Wild Honey  (Read 26823 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »

I'm surprised the results are so tight.

Friends/20/20 are great records but SS/WH are far more consistent

Friends is pretty damn consistent. I agree that 20/20 isn't at all, really, although it's not a hodge-podge record like some seem to think. Besides the SMiLE tracks, (which were worked on and completed in the 20/20 time period, it's not like they pulled the tapes and released them as is), everything, even I Went To Sleep, was recorded after Friends was finished.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 03:17:29 PM »

Though I voted for Smiley Smile/Wild Honey and stand by it, I would like to agree that Friends/20/20 has by far the best bonus tracks of any of the two-fers.  Not only because of "Breakaway" and "Celebrate the News" (one of their best 45s) but also because of "We're Together Again" and "Old Man River," two outstanding previously unreleased tracks.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 03:21:14 PM »

I'm surprised the results are so tight.

Friends/20/20 are great records but SS/WH are far more consistent

Friends is pretty damn consistent. I agree that 20/20 isn't at all, really, although it's not a hodge-podge record like some seem to think. Besides the SMiLE tracks, (which were worked on and completed in the 20/20 time period, it's not like they pulled the tapes and released them as is), everything, even I Went To Sleep, was recorded after Friends was finished.

Really beautiful song on both records, really calming..

Friends is a remarkable record, save the last two tracks.  20/20 is just so all over the place, it feels like a badly compiled compilation album

The sad thing is 20/20 could have been a much better album if they put a bit more thought into it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
James Kemp
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 03:58:14 PM »

Friends/20/20 for me, its Dennis and the bonus tracks which swing it for me. Agree its a cruel poll, very hard to call, but I love the cohesiveness of Friends and the total lack thereof on 20/20, and the birth of Dennis as a songwriter is of enormous importance to me.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 04:45:55 PM »

I went with Friends/20/20

Super difficult one, but whilst I love material on all four of the og albums, Friends is by far the best as an overall album, so that swung it for me.

It was only when I got Wild Honey on lp that I realised it is a pretty short and slight lp, despite some spectacular highs. Given that it's about 20 minutes long, two filler tracks is a bit much. The sequencing on 20/20 isn't great, but overall I prefer the material. I went to sleep and Time to get alone right next to each other is an error for me, as they both have the same sort of tempo and are in 3/4, and of course, the two smile tracks right at the end...I'd have gone with Prayer opening side two and cabinessence closing, maybe

Was this the first album not sequenced by Brian?
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 12:12:34 AM »

Smiley Smile/Wild Honey. Unified by their diametric opposition. Wild Honey has always been a personal fave...further up my list of BB LPs than the others. Short, yes, but sweet!! Carl's big chance, indeed.

But of course there is much to love on Friends/20-20, including the most mind-blowing BW composition of all, "Cabinessence."
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 12:27:51 AM »

I think Friends is a very consistent album - there's a very definate theme and feel throughout the record. I just wish they'd ended it with We're Together Again, which would've acted as a perfect closer and brought the whole 'friends' theme full circle.

As for 20/20, what it lacks in coherence it more than makes up for in quality. However i agree that with a little more thought it could've been even better. Mona Kani (a tremendous instrumental) in place of The Nearest Faraway Place (a mundane instrumental) would've been a good start!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »

wow, just voted and I was #50...made it straight down the line half/half

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 11:10:25 AM »

I think Friends is a very consistent album - there's a very definate theme and feel throughout the record. I just wish they'd ended it with We're Together Again, which would've acted as a perfect closer and brought the whole 'friends' theme full circle.

As for 20/20, what it lacks in coherence it more than makes up for in quality. However i agree that with a little more thought it could've been even better. Mona Kani (a tremendous instrumental) in place of The Nearest Faraway Place (a mundane instrumental) would've been a good start!

Was Mona Kani meant to have lyrics?

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »

Not that I know of.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 11:28:12 AM »

I like Friends a little more than Wild Honey, but I like Smiley Smile more than most things on this earth. SS/WH gets my vote.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »

Close that poll now while it's an exact tie!!  Evil
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 01:07:07 PM »

wow, just voted and I was #50...made it straight down the line half/half
And I was #52 and it is tied again.

1. Friends
2. 20/20
3. Wild Honey
4. Smiley Smile

But I love them all!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:07:58 PM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 01:09:12 PM »

Friends/20/20 for me.

Friends is possibly my 3rd or 4th favourite Beach Boys album and 20/20 contains about 5 of my favourite Beach Boys songs. Fell in love with the two-fer instantly but it took me a while to appreciate the albums on their own. Now I do and life's just great.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »

I went Friends/2020 because of Friends.

My prefered order is - Friends, Smiley, Wild Honey, 2020 - all gold

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 03:39:33 PM »

Friends
Wild Honey
20/20
Smiley

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2012, 04:09:39 PM »

Anyone voting Smiley Smile in 4th place can just bloomin' get lost!!! You're just wrong!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »

Anyone voting Smiley Smile in 4th place can just bloomin' get lost!!! You're just wrong!

No.
Opinions, dude.
Smiley Smile is a cool listen for me sometimes and I know it's revered by many here. Honestly though, there's this really scary vibe that I got the last few times listening to it (bar H&V and GV), and I am kind of hesitant to play it as much anymore.
Friends makes me happy. So I listen to that....

MBE
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2012, 04:43:55 PM »

Of these I listen to LP's more than CD's so I see them as their own albums.
I like them all but to me Smiley is the least of the bunch. It's very cool but I like a lot of other albums better
Wild Honey
20/20
Friends
Smiley
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »

Not that I know of.
I recall reading lyrics were written, possibly by Steve Kalnich but they weren't recorded as Dennis wasn't entirely pleased with them. The track very much sounds like what Brian was doing at the end of '65, in a way it sounds like the offspring of Three Blind Mice and Trombone Dixie. I like it a lot, but I think Bruce's instrumental is a little different from the rest of the instrumentals in the discigraphy, I can appreciate how it's something different and progressive for the band. I had it play before the extended 'Til I Die the other day and I was blown away by how good of a precursor it was to the song.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 07:01:08 PM »

I went with Friends/20/20. While SS has several Smile songs on it (whether or not they'd be that way or not on Smile) for me it will always be "the bunt and not the grand slam". WH is "okay".
I've always thought 20/20 is a good album. ICHM is a personal favorite BB - Carl song and DOI shows the group could still make a good rocker after the Smile efforts. Al and Cottonfields always sounds good and add OP and Cabinessence and the whole thing it works for me. Putting Break Away at the end of the re-release clinches it.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2012, 08:45:12 AM »

Done. Any twofer with Smiley would win for me, even if the other option was Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sermon On The Mount.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »

Of course I voted for WH!

KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »

I voted for the Friends/20 combo, like any true fan and music appreciator would.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2012, 04:27:23 PM »

You two are insane

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx