gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:20:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Worst albums of all time.  (Read 33021 times)
KDS
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2015, 06:06:25 AM »

If we're talking McCartney, I could nominate almost any of his albums in the 2000s.  IMO, if you take all of the studio albums he's released in the 2000s, you might be able to put together a good 8-10 song mix....maybe. 

For one thing, he's got a great touring band, but he tends to play many of the tracks on the records himself. 
Chaos & Creation is up there with Ram, Band on the Run, Back to the Egg and McCartney 2. All great albums methinks.

I've read so many good reviews of the C&C record, and I used to have a friend who was a huge Macca fan who said that the album was his best in decades. 

I listened to it 3-4 times when it came out, and I'm sorry, but I just don't hear it.  I remember reading the reviews, and I thought maybe I got a copy of the wrong record.  Maybe I'll give it another try at some point, but the songs have a certain "sameness" to me. 

The last one he did that I really really liked was Flaming Pie. 
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2015, 06:15:04 AM »

I really had a hard time with Max Roach M Boom 1973.  Think it's on U tube and better to watch.  Legal drinking in the State just went to 18 and friends ( did I say friends) would get us beer and put this on.  Alice's Rest.  than this.
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2015, 08:43:12 AM »

Maybe I'll give it another try at some point, but the songs have a certain "sameness" to me. 

Yeah, or a certain softness if you like. C&C have a theme of sadness (thanks Nigel Godrich) and it's in my opinion the best album Paul have done together with Ram and Back To The Egg. What a great step up after the disaster Driving Rain!

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
KDS
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2015, 08:46:30 AM »

Maybe I'll give it another try at some point, but the songs have a certain "sameness" to me. 

Yeah, or a certain softness if you like. C&C have a theme of sadness (thanks Nigel Godrich) and it's in my opinion the best album Paul have done together with Ram and Back To The Egg. What a great step up after the disaster Driving Rain!

Maybe I'll give C&C another chance at some point. 

I remember when I got a copy of Driving Rain.  I loved, and still love, the opening track Lonely Road.  The album goes downhill quickly though.  Although I do like the closer - Rinse the Raindrops. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2015, 11:54:38 PM »

If we're talking McCartney, I could nominate almost any of his albums in the 2000s.  IMO, if you take all of the studio albums he's released in the 2000s, you might be able to put together a good 8-10 song mix....maybe. 

For one thing, he's got a great touring band, but he tends to play many of the tracks on the records himself. 
Chaos & Creation is up there with Ram, Band on the Run, Back to the Egg and McCartney 2. All great albums methinks.
Ram has its moments; Back to the Egg is much better than its reputation: Band on the Run is flawless. The others I have no use for.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2015, 11:42:22 PM »

Boston - Walk On. 

So much anticipation since it had been 8 years since Third Stage.  At this point in the game, all of the songs sounded the same.  The novelty of a wall of guitars processed through the Rockman had worn off, and they dumped Brad Delp for a new singer.

"Livin' for You" is the only song I've heard from that album, and it's total over the top early 90s AC/MOR/lite rock/power ballad dreck. The worst songs on the mediocre follow up "Corporate America" (Brad Delp had returned to Boston, but was criminally underutilized and almost seemed to play second banana to Walk On-era singer Fran Cosmo.) were still more tolerable than that musical abomination.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2015, 06:09:36 AM »

Boston - Walk On. 

So much anticipation since it had been 8 years since Third Stage.  At this point in the game, all of the songs sounded the same.  The novelty of a wall of guitars processed through the Rockman had worn off, and they dumped Brad Delp for a new singer.

"Livin' for You" is the only song I've heard from that album, and it's total over the top early 90s AC/MOR/lite rock/power ballad dreck. The worst songs on the mediocre follow up "Corporate America" (Brad Delp had returned to Boston, but was criminally underutilized and almost seemed to play second banana to Walk On-era singer Fran Cosmo.) were still more tolerable than that musical abomination.

Boston put out an album a year or two ago.  I never picked it up.  Walk On and Corporate America kinda made me check out on them.  But I heard the song "Heaven on Earth" on the radio, and it was really good.  Maybe there's some gas left in the tank after all. 
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2015, 08:29:57 PM »

Across genres.....any Don Ho album, John & Yoko's Wedding Album, Little Joe Shaver and Devil Dog Play the Beach Boys Songbook, The World's Worst Records  Album, The Temple city Kazoo Orchestra Play Led Zeppelin, Any Leonard Nimoy or William Shatner  album, any Lawrence Welk album,most Donny & Marie albums, I could  go on...but you see what I mean  Razz

If it runs amuck, call the duck
KDS
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2015, 05:39:39 AM »

If we go across genres, I could make a neverending list.  After all, Nickelback, Kid Rock, Katy Perry, and Kanye West are pretty prolific. 

Not sure how many Def Leppard fans there are on here, but they've put out a couple stink bombs in their career. 

In 2003, the most appalling IMO was 'X.'  It sounded nothing like Def Leppard as they tried to adapt to the early 2000s when it was no longer cool to do guitar solos. 

Honorable mention is their 1995 album Slang. 
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2015, 06:53:52 AM »

Peter, lived close to Ho"s brother in mpls.  The music drifted if that is possible.  Ever used Mr. Bubble listening to tiny bubbles?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx