gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680797 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 07:35:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Denny's Drums  (Read 2838 times)
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:48:39 AM »

Could someone point me to a list of songs that Dennis played on in the studio. I was surprised recently to see discussion (probably here) of how many songs he actually played on. Is it maybe Andrew G's website that has all of this?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:13:38 AM »

Jon Stebbins' excellent recent book "The Beach Boys FAQ" lists most, if not all, of them.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »

Could someone point me to a list of songs that Dennis played on in the studio. I was surprised recently to see discussion (probably here) of how many songs he actually played on. Is it maybe Andrew G's website that has all of this?

Try this site for some in-depth info:

http://www.beachboysarchives.com/page1

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:24:12 AM »

Jon Stebbins' excellent recent book "The Beach Boys FAQ" lists most, if not all, of them.

He's listed the years '62-'65.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 06:59:54 PM »

Thanks to all!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »

But whatever you do, never believe this list (and I'm afraid the movie won't be more accurate):
http://wreckingcrew.tv/songlist.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 02:00:17 AM »

That's hugely frustrating for the following reasons:

Some of those AFMs are kosher, but several are not...

I informed Tedesco of the spurious ones (and cited what they actually were) well over a year ago, and was told it would be attended to forthwith...

Casual fans will assume that this list is accurate...

How unlike Christies of London.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:12:20 AM »

Andrew and I again tried to recently address the problem when Tedesco posted on facebook a link that took you to the incorrect session info claiming that the Beach Boys versions of I Get Around and Fun Fun Fun were Wrecking Crew sessions. In fact they were not, and his session info was for knock-off versions by the Challengers or some other copy-cat entity. We explained I Get Around had auxiliary WC input (Hal Blaine - timbales, Ray Pohlman  - second bass), but features the core Beach Boys on the instruments including Dennis on drums, Brian on keys, Carl on guitars, Al on bass. Fun Fun Fun as well features the core Beach Boys on the instruments (with Hal Blaine and Dennis both playing drums). Our plea that these misleading session contracts be deleted due to the fact they are alluded to be, but in fact are not Beach Boys sessions, was ignored.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 12:40:14 PM »

Andrew and I again tried to recently address the problem when Tedesco posted on facebook a link that took you to the incorrect session info claiming that the Beach Boys versions of I Get Around and Fun Fun Fun were Wrecking Crew sessions. In fact they were not, and his session info was for knock-off versions by the Challengers or some other copy-cat entity. We explained I Get Around had auxiliary WC input (Hal Blaine - timbales, Ray Pohlman  - second bass), but features the core Beach Boys on the instruments including Dennis on drums, Brian on keys, Carl on guitars, Al on bass. Fun Fun Fun as well features the core Beach Boys on the instruments (with Hal Blaine and Dennis both playing drums). Our plea that these misleading session contracts be deleted due to the fact they are alluded to be, but in fact are not Beach Boys sessions, was ignored.

That's sad. Hope you guys don't get tired of telling them how it was, though.

- Jack Rieley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 08:12:15 AM »

For the record, I'd just like to note that The Challengers were an excellent, important group, not just a "copy-cat entity".

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 09:15:31 AM »

For the record, I'd just like to note that The Challengers were an excellent, important group, not just a "copy-cat entity".
Noted. Maybe you have a better idea who the artist was on the offending session. All i am certain of is that it was not the Beach Boys version...as these sessions on the link below were held months after I Get Around and Don't Worry Baby were recorded by the Beach Boys, and they are at RCA and Capitol Studios, and we all know that Don't Worry Baby and  I Get Around were recorded at Western. This info being touted by the Wrecking Crew film producer as evidence of the Wrecking Crew playing on these Beach Boys hits is so obviously wrong that its laughable...and yet they leave it up as if it is true.
http://wreckingcrew.tv/afmcontracts/BeachBoys_IGetAround+DontWorry.pdf
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:16:45 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 09:25:06 AM »

Oh, absolutely, I agree completely. It shames the Wrecking Crew history to have those inaccuracies in there. Carol Kaye isn't the only one of them to take credit for sessions she didn't play on, she is just the most vocal and prolific about it.
There is a certain point where the understandable pride and defensiveness of the players regarding their history spills over into an attempt to claim too much achievement. The same thing happened with Motown's Funk Brothers, after their resurrection.
And, as we know, Carol claims Motown classics, simply because she performed on cover versions recorded cheaply in Hollywood as album filler. Strange that the Crew rarely get credit for the one giant Motown 60's smash they actually did perform, Love Is Here And Now You're Gone.
The I Get Around/Don't Worry Baby sessions in question were definitely of the copycat variety, and may indeed be for The Challengers, who finished as a pale shadow of their former glory, at GNP-Crescendo.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 08:35:01 PM »

We should all make a commitment to contact Stebbins whenever untrue things of this matter pop up on the Internet; but I suspect that it would turn into a full-time job. I really wonder if the myth of the Beach Boys being somehow not a rock band is not firmly ensconced into the same mythology that turned the Beatles into infallible rock gods.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx