gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 09:23:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: place for compiling any new information on a next BB album  (Read 49750 times)
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2013, 04:45:17 AM »

TWGMTR was — for the most part — ghost-produced by J. Thomas.

I enjoy the album quite a bit, and find the vinyl sequence very satisfying.  

There will be a new studio album in 2013.

Don't let 2012's malaise confuse the issue.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:16:24 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2013, 05:46:35 AM »

WOW....pretty exciting news!!!

I don't want to get too far ahead of things, but:

new album + box set = 2013 reunion tour?  (And I thought last year was good...)
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2013, 05:58:23 AM »

Some interesting opinions, and I'm very excited about what's mentioned above.

I do think though that instead of looking at the recording and who does what in a sort of "who SHOULD do what" approach, they need to have a "who CAN do what" approach (if that makes sense), I mean Mike should have quite a few leads, but is his voice up it?, I mean Al, Brian and David can still belt them out. Al, Bruce and Brian can still hit high notes. With some coaching, could Mike get out a killer bass vocal like he used to be able to?.

As far as instrumentation goes looking at the surviving "Originals" (for the sake of argument this is including Bruce) We have Three keyboardists (Al, Brian, Bruce), Two bassists (Al, Brian) Three guitarists (Al, Bruce?, David) A (kind of) Drummer (Brian, but is he still tight enough and willing enough to drum on a record?) and a Saxophonist (Mike).

Now realistically, Brian is probably not up to drumming on a whole record unless it's 12 tracks of "Be My Baby" or "Love You 2013" (I want this album!! LOL) so they'd need a Drummer. Again, Brian doesn't always seem keen on playing bass, when was the last time he played bass on a record? (I'm thinking BW88) so that leaves Al. Bruce has stated in the past that he doesn't really like playing Guitar so that leaves Al and David. The three Keyboardists are competent enough so that's fine. Do we need a Saxophone?, if so can Mike still play?

Basically, they are going to need outside musicians at some point, but, theoretically, they could pretty much construct a record independently if they wanted too.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2013, 06:02:06 AM »

For the love of God, someone please convince BW to take the high note in the harmonies this time.

Btw, awesome news.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2013, 06:21:19 AM »

2013... Rock! Rock!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2013, 06:43:36 AM »

Post of the year, so far.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2013, 07:10:02 AM »

I do hope so, but I'm going to remain pessimistic for the moment -- better to have an unexpected nice surprise than not to have one's expectations met, and the signals coming out are at best ambiguous (though you're one of the people I trust to know what he's talking about, so that raises my estimate of a new album's likelihood somewhat).

Should such a thing happen, though, I'd go against the majority of posts in this thread and just want it to be the best album it can be. I don't care if the songs are written collaboratively or if Brian sits on his own and writes them all then tells the others what their parts are. Personally, I think the latter would work better (it's very hard to create art by committee) but whatever works best to create the album. I also couldn't care less if any of the band play instruments on it -- none of them are great instrumental performers, with the exception of David. What I would like is a new album of Brian Wilson songs, but with Mike, Bruce and (especially) Al singing on it, and ideally with less of a 90s-AOR sheen on it than the last album had. If any of the other band members come up with something exceptionally good, that's fine too, of course.

I'd be even more excited about another tour (I've spent the last few days listening over and over to various recordings from last year's tour), but I suspect that's even less likely.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2013, 09:11:27 AM »

I want the next album's performance credits to read:

Brian - Moog
Bruce - Handclaps
Mike - Saxophone
Ricky - Drums
David - Lead guitar
Blondie - Bass guitar
Al - Inaudible guitar

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2013, 09:21:39 AM »

Believe. It will happen. 2013 will be another big year for the Beach Boys.  Smiley

Minds can be changed. Dates can be canceled. Contracts are made to be broken. Don't care if the new album is as good as the last. Just wanna see Dave, Al, Brian, Mike and Bruce back in the mix.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:22:33 AM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2013, 10:34:49 AM »

Some random thoughts/opinions....

When you have a Top 5 (did it go to 2 or 3?) album, there's a pretty good chance SOMEBODY will give you a chance for a follow-up. And, that's gonna be the key - the money to fund the project. I suppose Capitol would jump back in again? It wasn't a nightmare was it, like the previous horror stories we've heard surrounding Beach Boys' albums? They (the people running Capitol) have proven to be, not only competent, but also fans of the group. They don't have much to lose, really, with them owning the back catalogue and everything. And, that would give the guys a reason to get back together to tour - to promote the new single(s) and album.

Brian will never have full control again, or be allowed to solely produce an album. I don't think he wants to anyway. Brian Wilson has a track record of almost single-handedly stopping momentum and obliterating the direction of the group/his solo career. You can go all the way back to Smiley Smile and Friends, through to 15 Big Ones and Love You, all the way up to Gettin' In Over My Head and All I Really Want For Christmas. Please let others decide the direction of the album.

That also applies to the production. Say what you will about Joe Thomas, but I'd hate to hear what That's Why God Made The Radio would sound like without his involvement and/or Brian being the sole producer. Now, who would be the co-producer is another question. I just have a funny feeling we haven't heard the last of Joe Thomas. Does he still own the rest of the songs on that old tape that was made years ago?

Finally, do the Beach Boys - Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, and Dave - really care if they lay down the tracks on a new project. Not at this stage in their careers; not that they don't have the time. Actually, I'd rather hear other musicians, like the days of The Wrecking Crew, who might have some good ideas to contribute. Judging by the guys' solo albums, cough.... police
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2013, 10:48:18 AM »

I'll tell you, Dave is something special as a composer and player; If the BB really did a version of his Stowaway, it's going to be celestial. I have been listening to "I think about you often" non stop this week, including at Redondo at sunset. So I would like to see each of the BB expressing themselves artistically on a new album, in whatever way they best gain the pride of expression. For Bruce this may mean producing Waves of Love; for Mike, a Love-Wilson new good song and some creative bass vocal parts, etc. I don't want any of them to be afterthoughts.  Art is no always collaborative, but some great Dennis and Bruce and Al songs benefit from Mike and Brian and Carl's parts, etc., etc. You all know this. No matter who writes, I want to see a "band" effort.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2013, 11:12:34 AM »

I'll tell you, Dave is something special as a composer and player; If the BB really did a version of his Stowaway, it's going to be celestial. I have been listening to "I think about you often" non stop this week, including at Redondo at sunset. So I would like to see each of the BB expressing themselves artistically on a new album, in whatever way they best gain the pride of expression. For Bruce this may mean producing Waves of Love; for Mike, a Love-Wilson new good song and some creative bass vocal parts, etc. I don't want any of them to be afterthoughts.  Art is no always collaborative, but some great Dennis and Bruce and Al songs benefit from Mike and Brian and Carl's parts, etc., etc. You all know this. No matter who writes, I want to see a "band" effort.

Yeah, I'm with you, as far as contributing songs is concerned. I don't have many complaints about TWGMTR. Other than a few minor quibbles, that's about the best you were gonna get out of them. But, I would've liked to have heard representation from each member with at least one song each. Like we have been discussing in some of the other threads, I'm usually for MORE rather than less. I've said it ad nauseum, but when you have 5-6 songwriters in a group...
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »

"TWGMTR was — for the most part — ghost-produced by J. Thomas."

No surprise there.  That's what I and probably most hard core fans figured, that Brian had a role in the production of TWGMR, but he's not up to  producing an album.   

I'd venture a guess that the existing Beach Boys were more than a little excited by the reaction to TWGMTR, and the reception to the tour.  No ever gets over the adulation of being treated like a superstar, and last year the Beach Boys were in the news and superstars again.  My guess is they want to make another album and enjoy the success that will come from it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2013, 11:37:55 AM »

This ties along with what I've heard, so to read confirmation fills my heart with joy. What is interesting to me is:
TWGMTR was — for the most part — ghost-produced by J. Thomas.

The key part is the fact it doesn't mean it was entirely produced by Thomas, like many of us thought. Just my own personal hunch, but I think Brian was more involved with this than he was on Imagination (which he basically disowned shortly after its release). We do know Brian had vetoed  a song or two, which is part of what the producer does.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:38:48 AM by Bananas Rice Applesauce Toast » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »

I have no problem with Joe Thomas as a producer. 

He does good work.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2013, 03:15:28 PM »

I have no problem with Joe Thomas as a producer. 

He does good work.

Could be better, could be a hell of a lot worse! People might scoff at this, but I think another board member made this suggestion a while back, too...I'd love to see what Jason Brewer could do for The Beach Boys on an album (or a couple tracks). Like "Freedom Wind" or not, he pretty much sonically nailed various aspects of their sound.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »

JT's style worked at that time in the Beach Boys history. If BW chooses him again it'll be the right choice, whether we like it or not, as the artist has the right to make the wrong choices if he/she deems fit!

“We live in divisive times.”
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2013, 03:29:07 PM »

I say this: at this stage of their lives/careers DON'T FCK WITH THE FORMULA! At least, there's no need to.

They found a very successful formula at an unexpected time, and it worked wonderfully: a Wilson-Thomas co-production, the five guys together and in peace, an assortment of good/very good/great songs, great vocals from everybody, a good dose of ML involvement, Capitol behind it...

I love their adventurous stuff as much as anyone. But at this point, if they risk nothing, if they repeat this formula for the next years, and if everything holds together (God grant them many more and healthy years), it would be a dream come true to many of us.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:30:03 PM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2013, 03:47:23 PM »

Sh*t, "From There To Back Again" is pretty damn adventurous. (Sidenote: I'd love to a "making of" for that song.)

If we get another song of that caliber + 9 mediocre songs laden with autotune and crappy snares, I'll be happy.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2013, 04:22:16 PM »

Post of the year, so far.

+1!

We're off to a flying start.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2013, 04:45:37 PM »

Brian has to work with the people he is comfortable with.  Period.

It was — in my opinion — a mistake to NOT use Mark Linett for mastering "TWGMTR."

Mark is really dialed into the BB sound, and VERY dialed into Brian.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »

It was — in my opinion — a mistake to NOT use Mark Linett for mastering "TWGMTR."

Absolutely agreed with all of this. If Brian wants to work with Joe Thomas again, of course he should, but I'd *prefer* that if he has a co-producer it be Darian, or Scott Bennett, or one of the other people he's worked with who would be capable of doing the job. That's Why God Made The Radio sounded much better than Imagination or Stars & Stripes, but it still sounded unpleasant to my ears compared to any of Brian's post-Imagination solo work. But if Joe T is who Brian wants to work with, then he's who he should work with.

As for Linnett, I can't imagine why they would ever choose anyone else, given his quarter-century-plus experience working with Brian...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »

For the love of God, someone please convince BW to take the high note in the harmonies this time.

Btw, awesome news.

Amen.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2013, 06:36:15 PM »

Absolutely agreed with all of this. If Brian wants to work with Joe Thomas again, of course he should, but I'd *prefer* that if he has a co-producer it be Darian, or Scott Bennett, or one of the other people he's worked with who would be capable of doing the job. That's Why God Made The Radio sounded much better than Imagination or Stars & Stripes, but it still sounded unpleasant to my ears compared to any of Brian's post-Imagination solo work. But if Joe T is who Brian wants to work with, then he's who he should work with.

As for Linnett, I can't imagine why they would ever choose anyone else, given his quarter-century-plus experience working with Brian...

TLOS was bursting with original material....the chords, the harmonies, the instrumentals - it's one of my favorite albums ever....all thanks to Darian, Bennett, and Brian's collaboration. Fast forward to TWGMTR: you have a compromise album FULL of autotune. It's not cohesive, the songwriting is kinda bland (minus Brian's obvious stunners).

I agree that Brian should team up with Darian/Bennett on this upcoming album. Make it original, make it FRESH. Don't bring in past material, don't compromise. They need to create a vision of a beautiful album and run with it. They need to trash the autotune (Mike's voice is still great, there is no need for autotune).

With TLOS, Brian proved he is still a genius; partner him with those same collaborators + the voices of The Beach Boys and you'll have a #1 album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »

^ I agree Tongue

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx