gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:07:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Sets The Record Straight.  (Read 42714 times)
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2012, 01:48:29 AM »

I've been thinking it over, and I just can't see Mike quoting the Summer's Gone lyrics like that - especially after the account of him doing the gun-to-his-head motion while listening to the playback in the studio, and then again when a band member told a board member that Brian had to beg Mike to have it included in the show.

Coming 6 pages late to this thread but I can see him quoting those lyrics. People might question whether Mike is always genuine but in interviews he sometimes puts his hand on his heart and says poetic things about Brian and the Beach Boys.

Good article, regardless of whether Mike penned it or had the help of a publicist. He puts his view on the tour 'confusion' - which is backed up by the available facts - across succinctly.

If we step back just a little...

A few months ago nobody knew how good the tour would be. There were worries Brian or someone else might bail out part way through, that musically it wouldn't work, that there would be arguments and tensions ripping it apart. It could have been a horrendous train wreck. In fact the performances and (on the face of it) bonds between all the guys got stronger as the tour progressed. The tour was extended. As Mike says, the original plan was to end the tour, have a month or so's gap, and for everyone to go back to their previous existences.

Having experiecned this wonderful tour, many of us hope for more Beach Boys music and live shows with *all* the guys...but take that step back to a few months ago...and enjoy what we've had.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2012, 02:05:45 AM »

From wiki:
Love has been married five times -[citation needed]

Francie StMartin (1960? - ?), divorced, one child
    Suzanne Belcher (October 14, 1965 – 1969), divorced, two children
    Tamara Fitch (October 18, 1971 – 1974) divorced, one child
    Catherine Linda "Cathy" Martinez (September 17, 1981 – July 30, 1984) divorced, one child
    Jacqueline Piesen (1994 - current), one child.

well...this was surprising to me. I knew Mike had an illigitimate child in '64 or so, but to be married 5 times? most of these lasting less than 5 years?
Clearly the new one is there for the money. There are very few ppl who can love someone with such a botch personal history. It's like the woman who recently divorced Tom Cruise, how could she not know something was wrong with him after two failed marriages? plus it is widely known Tom Cruise is a crazy ass motherf***er. I would think this woman, given his very prominent seniority over her, is there for the money. A pure gold digger.

Sorry for those off-topic remarks.
When it comes to the message he sent, I agree that it was warm and seemingly heartfelt, but as others have pointed out, many of his points are self-contradicting. He talks about  not firing Brian, but that's what he really did. Oh well, we'll see what happens in the next year or two.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2012, 02:46:40 AM »

That's inaccurate - Mike had two girls with Frances, and has two children with the current Mrs. Love. Further, the paternity of the child from the Martinez marriage is disputed.

The marriage dates, children's birthdays and names and wives birthdays for all the band are listed in the timeline at 10452.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:49:09 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2012, 03:11:26 AM »

To inject a note of humour -

after the remarks on 'firing Brian' (or not), I thought about a brilliant piece of satire done here, on Hitler being fired by his own close crew.

Does anyone know who, when did this, and where it can be located?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2012, 04:44:51 AM »

I've been thinking it over, and I just can't see Mike quoting the Summer's Gone lyrics like that - especially after the account of him doing the gun-to-his-head motion while listening to the playback in the studio, and then again when a band member told a board member that Brian had to beg Mike to have it included in the show.

Coming 6 pages late to this thread but I can see him quoting those lyrics.

It totally fits for Mike to quote a song. He always does that. In fact it's hard to find interviews, etc. where he doesn't. Although normally he uses "Do it again" "Wouldn't it be nice" "Fun, fun, fun" or "Good vibraions", so the quoting is totally his style. And in this case using lyrics to "Summer's gone" is absolutely fitting for what he intended.
I'd still like to know about the inclusion of the song in the shows, though. I could imagine Mike being a little unsure of including a never before played song just for the last two concerts. But I don't know about that "Brian having to beg Mike". To me it seems that in the end it all came down to what Brian wanted anyway, e.g. "Add some music" "Marcella" and so on.

BTW I think "Summer's gone" as the very last song worked even better than doing it in the middle of the set.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2012, 05:19:06 AM »

Clearly the new one is there for the money. There are very few ppl who can love someone with such a botch personal history. It's like the woman who recently divorced Tom Cruise, how could she not know something was wrong with him after two failed marriages? plus it is widely known Tom Cruise is a crazy ass motherf***er. I would think this woman, given his very prominent seniority over her, is there for the money. A pure gold digger.

"The new one"?! They've been married eighteen years!
Given that you don't know either of the Loves, it's frankly disgusting that you'd throw personal abuse like that about. At least with Mike we all *think* we know him, given his public profile, but *all* you know about Jacqui Love is that she is married to Mike Love and younger than him.

For all I know she may be a 'pure gold digger', but people should be given the benefit of doubt, and frankly I would expect anyone who had married for the money to have divorced him much earlier and got a large alimony payment.

Remember, Dennis was married six times -- and one of those was to someone he'd already divorced once! -- and no-one questions whether his wives loved him.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2012, 05:25:30 AM »

Given that you don't know either of the Loves, it's frankly disgusting that you'd throw personal abuse like that about. At least with Mike we all *think* we know him, given his public profile, but *all* you know about Jacqui Love is that she is married to Mike Love and younger than him.

For all I know she may be a 'pure gold digger', but people should be given the benefit of doubt, and frankly I would expect anyone who had married for the money to have divorced him much earlier and got a large alimony payment.

Remember, Dennis was married six times -- and one of those was to someone he'd already divorced once! -- and no-one questions whether his wives loved him.

Yeah, I'm for senseless personal attacks on Mike Love (how do you think I got nearly 5,000 posts) but saying his wife doesn't love him is crossing a line. Like, why bother?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2012, 05:27:30 AM »

**koff** Five.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2012, 06:24:51 AM »

From wiki:

Catherine Linda "Cathy" Martinez (September 17, 1981 – July 30, 1984) divorced, one child

well...this was surprising to me. I knew Mike had an illigitimate child in '64 or so, but to be married 5 times? most of these lasting less than 5 years?

When it comes to the message he sent, I agree that it was warm and seemingly heartfelt, but as others have pointed out, many of his points are self-contradicting. He talks about  not firing Brian, but that's what he really did. Oh well, we'll see what happens in the next year or two.

Uncalled-for, supercilious remarks on stuff you know sh*t about. Error stressed as fact.

Posts like this make you hate the internet, really.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2012, 06:29:17 AM »

It's amazing on how people here first talk about how great Mike Loves article is and now getting off topic on Mikes personal life Lol  LOL
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2012, 06:35:31 AM »

In any event, I also feel that the situation is not the same now, so it doesn't matter much. Al and Mike are no longer on the outs the way they were in 1998. It's frustrating now, because back in 1998 it at least functionally made some sense for Al and Mike to not tour together since there was some sort of falling out at that time. That Al was not in Mike's band may have been a self-fulfilling sort of thing (by that, I mean that Al is edged out, then they have a falling out, and then of course it's even less feasible for them to play together), but it made sense in 1998 or 1999 that these guys had to be apart. Same thing with Brian, he seemed to have next to zero interest in playing with Mike and the Beach Boys in general at that time.
But now there is even less reason for them to be apart, because they established that they can play together and do it well, and have a desire to continue. That's why this "this is how it's been for 14 years business" doesn't make any sense.
Honestly I'm genuinely not sure how you can possibly believe that the last 14years isn't relevant.  Over that time Mike has developed a very successful business out of the touring band and has played with band members who he seems to get on well with. It's clear that Mike enjoys that lifestyle.

It's nice that Mike complimented Al's singing but he did that in the Goldmine interview way back.  It doesn't mean that suddenly all of their issues have disappeared. The band members agreed to put their differences aside for 1 tour but. I think recent events have shown that those differences haven't disappeared.

The reunion was a business decision( as Mike says partly down to the record company). Bringing Al back into the touring band wouldn't make much business sense for Mike as for 14 years they have sold tickets without him. I think it's fairly obvious why Mike would prefer to have Christian on rhythm guitar. Do we honestly believe that Al could tour with Mike in the 'keep the costs down ' mode and not complain?
Oh believe me, I know adding Al to his band would not make any business sense for Mike whatsoever. That's not disputed. I think what some fail to acknowledge is that in a possible scenario where Al would want to join, and Mike was not interested in sharing profits, that would make Mike, in some fans eyes, as a total d**k.

I would also disagree with the idea that Mike "developed" a successful business out of the touring band in the last 14 years. He certainly maintained it, and exploited it, but it was an already-successful, already-established touring enterprise many, many years ago. That enterprise was developed by not only Mike, but also Carl, Al, and during their tenures Dennis and Bruce as well, and to some extend David and Brian as well.

Mike pays for the right to use the name, because the name is what sells the band. I would imagine even Mike would agree with this. His new statement, while eloquent, has a slight tone as if to say he's still there fronting the band because nobody else will step up to do it. That may have been partially or largely correct at various points in the past, but now all the guys are willing to work together with Mike.
That Mike "exploited" the enterprise is ridiculous, in my opinion.  My take is that the band basically imploded after Carl died.  The sense of that can be seen in the Endless Harmony DVD.  Frankly, it takes a certain gift to front a band. It is not for every musician and some struggle with it.   It would not surprise me, for Mike to have written it.  He has an amazing vocabulary, and this is extensive, and very well organized.  He is telling his side.  
oldsurferdude
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2012, 07:08:20 AM »

From wiki:

Myke's marital history certainly speaks volumns about his personna in and out of the band. I'm thinking the main culprit  that doomed most of those unions was Myke's absence. Most of those women, if not all, knew that he was bedding down with anything that wiggled while on (or off) the road. Secondly, I can imagine the incredible set of rules each one had to adhere to not to mention the constant "fluffing up" of his out of control so very fragile ego. And as we know the same conditions prevaied with his bandmates.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 07:10:17 AM by oldsurferdude » Logged
Jason
« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2012, 07:13:01 AM »

The last few posts in this thread with very few exceptions seem to be nothing more than callous mudslinging from a bunch of people who think they know the band members' personal lives more than the band members do...
oldsurferdude
« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2012, 07:20:03 AM »

Now you remember this: Dennis was an extremely lovable person-a flawed person but extremely well liked by most. Myke Luhv's a prick and not well liked by most, hence the bad press.
Nicko1234
« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2012, 07:41:03 AM »

I would also disagree with the idea that Mike "developed" a successful business out of the touring band in the last 14 years. He certainly maintained it, and exploited it, but it was an already-successful, already-established touring enterprise many, many years ago. That enterprise was developed by not only Mike, but also Carl, Al, and during their tenures Dennis and Bruce as well, and to some extend David and Brian as well.

Didn`t get the chance to reply to this point before...

Maybe it would have been better if I`d worded it as, Mike has `adapted` the touring band since 1998. He has obviously established good business relationships with new venues and promoters, cut the costs back and built a new band that has steadily improved over time. There was no way that was going to be thrown away lightly and people were naive if they thought it might have been.

On a completely separate topic, there are only two important things that I have heard about Jacqui... The first is that, along with Melinda, she played a big part in the reunion tour coming together and the second is that she had a role to play in Adrian Baker being fired from the band. She has my utmost respect for both.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2012, 08:04:06 AM »

The last few posts in this thread with very few exceptions seem to be nothing more than callous mudslinging from a bunch of people who think they know the band members' personal lives more than the band members do...

Attacking Mike's wife is beyond low, it's disgusting.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2012, 08:35:08 AM »

Agreed

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2012, 09:07:51 AM »

Pretty low to go after anybody's wife. As with most Mike lore [or most band lore?] it usually ends up being untrue, vague or a function of a person's opinion.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jason
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2012, 09:09:10 AM »

Or a Brianista with an axe to grind in the worst possible way.
Nicko1234
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »

I think the reason here is clear. Mike has received a few positive comments in this thread so it`s time for a couple of infants here to throw the toys out of the pram.
Jason
« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2012, 09:19:49 AM »

I think the reason here is clear. Mike has received a few positive comments in this thread so it`s time for a couple of infants here to throw the toys out of the pram.

Agreed...having a beef with Michael is one thing, but attacking his wife is quite another. I know if the same morons who worship at the altar of Brian Wilson were met with similar comments about their own spouses I don't think it would have gone over too well. Double standards are a bitch, aren't they?
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2012, 09:37:24 AM »

the altar of Brian Wilson

Hehe, an altar of Brian. Now there's a scary thought haha. I am a huge fan of BW but the idea of worshipping and altars is quite disturbing lol.

But here's the thing, I am a big fan of Brian and enjoy some of his solo work almost as much as his 60s master works, but that doesn't mean I can't respect Mike; the two aren't mutually exclusive. If anything I was kind of hoping that the 50th, with all the water under the bridge stuff, would put an end to all that horrible anti Mike Love trash talk you see all over the BBs stuff on line. Maybe it would have done too, if not for the lousy press coverage of the return to normality post 50th.

I really liked Mike's article, I thought it was sincere and thoughtfully constructed. I mean, the guy is obviously aware of all the sh*t that's been stirring online trying to cast him as the bad guy, and that must be really really frustrating to a guy who's simply trying to carry on with his business as previously agreed with everyone involved in the 50th. He obviously enjoys touring with his band, and who cares why... that's his business.

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2012, 09:44:41 AM »

I have to hand it to Mike and to the BB; they literalized the metaphor of summer's gone. They gave us all our dreams this summer, and now that it's over, as physically summer itself ends (I had to stuff the comforter for the first time last night as the e"nights grow cold") so did that dream, as if it never were. What an artistic commitment to a large philosophical and poetic conceit.

I am confident that there will be a June, that school will end, that I will cruse around PCH again with the radio turned up all the way: but not today.

The BB in Winter?  announcements of a new album together?  We evidently know nothing, so we move  from GH release, to single release, to dvd, to remastered album,  to youtube video, to sizzle reel. . . . .stepping onto to any secure stone that somehow assures us that the BB are still there and will be back again soon.

I am most anxious for any word that M and B are writing songs together and that the whole band is making the album. What about Dave's Stowaway, Waves of Love, etc.--all those partially finished songs that are waiting for an album?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »

Didn`t get the chance to reply to this point before...

Maybe it would have been better if I`d worded it as, Mike has `adapted` the touring band since 1998. He has obviously established good business relationships with new venues and promoters, cut the costs back and built a new band that has steadily improved over time. There was no way that was going to be thrown away lightly and people were naive if they thought it might have been.

On a completely separate topic, there are only two important things that I have heard about Jacqui... The first is that, along with Melinda, she played a big part in the reunion tour coming together and the second is that she had a role to play in Adrian Baker being fired from the band. She has my utmost respect for both.

She was also the band stylist for the entire C50 shebang.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »

Did a great job there...they looked better than anytime since the early 70s.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx