gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:41:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which BB members met which Beatles members, and when?  (Read 6722 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 09:02:25 AM »

In the Sean Lennon interview to promote Imagination, Sean asked Brian if he ever met John and Brian said no.

I'm going on a dim memory here, but didn't someone once post about a time Brian kept repeatedly walking up to John in a club and introducing himself as if they'd never met before - over and over again?

Here is the Brian Wilson/John Lennon story as told by Alice Cooper:

“I was sitting backstage after the 1974 Grammys with Bernie Taupin (Elton John’s lyricist) and John Lennon.  This was when Brian was really having some mental issues.  During the course of the conversation, I kept seeing Brian out of the corner of my eye, just kind of staring at us from different angles.  Finally, he came up to the table, bent down and whispered in my ear ‘Hey Alice, introduce me to John Lennon.’  I couldn’t BELIEVE that these two men had never met!  They were virtually neck and neck in the 60’s as the greatest bands on the planet, and I’m SURE they must have crossed paths at some point.  But then I thought to myself, ‘Wow, if they REALLY have never met, I’m going to be the one to introduce them and become a part of rock history!’  So I merely said, ‘Brian Wilson, this is John Lennon.  John Lennon, this is Brian Wilson.’  Lennon was very cordial and polite, saying things like ‘Hello Brian, I’ve always wanted to meet you.  I’ve always admired your work, and Paul and I considered Pet Sounds one of the best albums ever made.’  Brian thanked him and walked away, at which point Lennon went right back to his conversation like nothing had happened.  About ten minutes later, Brian came by our table again, leaned down and whispered something to Bernie, and all of a sudden, Bernie was saying ‘Brian Wilson, this is John Lennon.  John Lennon, Brian Wilson.’  Lennon was just as cordial and polite as the first time, saying essentially the same thing about always wanting to meet him.  As soon as Brian walked away, John looked at both of us and casually said in his typical Liverpudlian accent, ‘I’ve met him hundreds of times.  He’s not well, you know.’”

Alice went on to say that he loves Brian, and later that night went with a group of people to Brian’s house and went into his studio to add and subtract instruments and passages from Beach Boys songs.  
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:41:19 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 09:02:48 AM »

Also, Brian said he met George Harrison at a nightclub in L.A. and Ringo in 1985.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:41:43 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 09:39:47 AM »

In the Sean Lennon interview to promote Imagination, Sean asked Brian if he ever met John and Brian said no.

I'm going on a dim memory here, but didn't someone once post about a time Brian kept repeatedly walking up to John in a club and introducing himself as if they'd never met before - over and over again?

Here is the Brian Wilson/John Lennon story as told by Alice Cooper:

“I was sitting backstage after the 1974 Grammys with Bernie Taupin (Elton John’s lyricist) and John Lennon.  This was when Brian was really having some mental issues.  During the course of the conversation, I kept seeing Brian out of the corner of my eye, just kind of staring at us from different angles.  Finally, he came up to the table, bent down and whispered in my ear ‘Hey Alice, introduce me to John Lennon.’  I couldn’t BELIEVE that these two men had never met!  They were virtually neck and neck in the 60’s as the greatest bands on the planet, and I’m SURE they must have crossed paths at some point.  But then I thought to myself, ‘Wow, if they REALLY have never met, I’m going to be the one to introduce them and become a part of rock history!’  So I merely said, ‘Brian Wilson, this is John Lennon.  John Lennon, this is Brian Wilson.’  Lennon was very cordial and polite, saying things like ‘Hello Brian, I’ve always wanted to meet you.  I’ve always admired your work, and Paul and I considered Pet Sounds one of the best albums ever made.’  Brian thanked him and walked away, at which point Lennon went right back to his conversation like nothing had happened.  About ten minutes later, Brian came by our table again, leaned down and whispered something to Bernie, and all of a sudden, Bernie was saying ‘Brian Wilson, this is John Lennon.  John Lennon, Brian Wilson.’  Lennon was just as cordial and polite as the first time, saying essentially the same thing about always wanting to meet him.  As soon as Brian walked away, John looked at both of us and casually said in his typical Liverpudlian accent, ‘I’ve met him hundreds of times.  He’s not well, you know.’”

Alice went on to say that he loves Brian, and later that night went with a group of people to Brian’s house and went into his studio to add and subtract instruments and passages from Beach Boys songs.  I don’t know what was funnier to me…the punchline of the story, or listening to Alice Cooper try to talk like John Lennon.

Thanks Mikie, that's the story I was thinking of. Love how John just takes the whole thing in his stride.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 01:38:01 PM »

I remember reading somewhere that Dennis was in a restaurant or something and John was there, but John didn't recognize him and he was offended by it.

You sure that wasn't Brian? At least I think it was him instead of Dennis...

Could've been, but I could of sworn they were talking about Dennis

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 10:44:53 AM »

I remember reading somewhere that Dennis was in a restaurant or something and John was there, but John didn't recognize him and he was offended by it.

You sure that wasn't Brian? At least I think it was him instead of Dennis...

Could've been, but I could of sworn they were talking about Dennis

You're correct. This story pops up in Beatles/Lennon books. Dennis ran into John at a bar in LA and said hello. Unfortunately, there was a local tv commercial airing at the time featuring another Dennis Wilson selling used cars. When Dennis went over and introduced himself. A drunken John made jokes about him selling used cars. Dennis was allegedly hurt by this. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx