gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:40:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Wilson song just premiered on radio  (Read 66378 times)
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #300 on: February 21, 2015, 01:05:23 PM »

It's actually unfortunate, as the wording of some of the blurbs have implied you can't just buy the single track on its own. They obviously want lots of album pre-orders, but some idiots like me will buy the one download right now and then still buy the whole album on CD as well.

Don't quite see how that makes you an idiot, purchasing both.  Bill Maher was on last night with Aloe Blacc talking about composers making essentially no money these days, thanks to Spotify, etc.  Maher spoke to value for money and how he is STILL listening to music he bought 40 years ago, so he got real value for money there - sorry for the paraphrase, but that's the essence of what he said.  How many of your 40 year old purchases are still valuable to you?  We're still obsessing over Pet Sounds, Smile, Love You, etc...

I guess that's why I get on here sometimes annoyed with all the whining about money or nit-picking the work Brian has put his heart into.  HE'S the artist...and while you have a "right to your opinion," you don't get to vote on what he produces, other than whether you buy it or not.  It's that simple.  The autographed official surfboard is too expensive?  Don't buy it - just get the music.  Some other collector will buy it and love it.  

Brian has put his heart and soul into his work.  I can't tell you how many times in my brief time with him that I saw people running up to Brian thanking him for "saving my life," "getting me through a bad time," etc.  He's STILL giving us his heart with this new work.  Can't we just say thanks once in awhile?

Debbie; you have some solid points here; and Bill Maher is right on the mark.  I bought my original copy of Pet Sounds , day of release , at a store called Great Eastern Mills in Elmont, L.I. , NY.  I paid , if I recall correctly , $2.79.   I still have that copy, what 49 years later ? 17,800 days comes out to $0.00015 per day ? Pretty damn good value for a record I still play religiously.

I have been fortunate enough to have spent all sorts of time at Ocean Way and several other studio's with Brian.  Sometimes I would hear something I thought could be different or he could make better , in my mind , but I have an internal governor that always says to me: " he has sold 150 million records; I have sold exactly zero...shut the f..k up"  . Works like a charm for me.

$0.00015/day.  That's probably fair, I think..
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 21, 2015, 01:09:15 PM »

It's actually unfortunate, as the wording of some of the blurbs have implied you can't just buy the single track on its own. They obviously want lots of album pre-orders, but some idiots like me will buy the one download right now and then still buy the whole album on CD as well.

Don't quite see how that makes you an idiot, purchasing both.  Bill Maher was on last night with Aloe Blacc talking about composers making essentially no money these days, thanks to Spotify, etc.  Maher spoke to value for money and how he is STILL listening to music he bought 40 years ago, so he got real value for money there - sorry for the paraphrase, but that's the essence of what he said.  How many of your 40 year old purchases are still valuable to you?  We're still obsessing over Pet Sounds, Smile, Love You, etc...

I guess that's why I get on here sometimes annoyed with all the whining about money or nit-picking the work Brian has put his heart into.  HE'S the artist...and while you have a "right to your opinion," you don't get to vote on what he produces, other than whether you buy it or not.  It's that simple.  The autographed official surfboard is too expensive?  Don't buy it - just get the music.  Some other collector will buy it and love it.  

Brian has put his heart and soul into his work.  I can't tell you how many times in my brief time with him that I saw people running up to Brian thanking him for "saving my life," "getting me through a bad time," etc.  He's STILL giving us his heart with this new work.  Can't we just say thanks once in awhile?

Debbie; you have some solid points here; and Bill Maher is right on the mark.  I bought my original copy of Pet Sounds , day of release , at a store called Great Eastern Mills in Elmont, L.I. , NY.  I paid , if I recall correctly , $2.79.   I still have that copy, what 49 years later ? 17,800 days comes out to $0.00015 per day ? Pretty damn good value for a record I still play religiously.

I have been fortunate enough to have spent all sorts of time at Ocean Way and several other studio's with Brian.  Sometimes I would hear something I thought could be different or he could make better , in my mind , but I have an internal governor that always says to me: " he has sold 150 million records; I have sold exactly zero...shut the f..k up"  . Works like a charm for me.

Does that include the tax?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #302 on: February 21, 2015, 01:11:51 PM »

Does that include the tax?

Wow, another factor I hadn't considered.  ;-) 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 21, 2015, 04:20:54 PM »

No Pier Pressure will be the first cd I've purchased in 3 years. I'm as excited as a 14 year old watching Porky's. Cool

I'm beyond excited for this album. I listend to the samples on good earphones and the songs sound even better.

By the way, on earphones "Runaway dancer" really jumps, I never imagined a 72 year old Brian Wilson getting funky. I love it  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 21, 2015, 06:01:21 PM »

Did Dave also play those licks in the solo section,

Ya know, it’s entirely possible. He did multiple takes with different effects and those parts could have been mixed in and out in any number of ways. The solo section doesn’t jump out at me as sounding overly “David” like the outro does. However, he was playing a little more inside the box on this session than he usually does and David playing a tame (for him) solo could easily slip past my ear’s radar. I wish I could say for sure. 
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 21, 2015, 07:32:32 PM »

Anyone who thinks this song is disappointing, I suggest they imagine it as a closing track for 'Today!' in place of 'Bull Session', realize it's 50 years later and reappraise.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: February 23, 2015, 01:17:36 AM »

Mr. Lawlor, that internal governor's argument would be only valid if you had spent about as much time making records as Brian has - and if then you had sold zero records, the governor's argument would stand. I say it's ok to make an suggestion once in a while, even to a genius. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 23, 2015, 08:40:16 AM »

Thank you Carrie. The more Dave the better, as I see it. I find his playing here akin to his work on Summer's Gone and Strange World (strangely un-credited on liner notes). It also sounds much like Dave's solo work, jazzy adaptation of surf themes in an artful, contemplative style--the mark of maturation and sophistication one would expect from a classic surf player, then academically trained, working with BW.

All in all, it's a major artistic accomplishment, and I hope the 3 boys get some love for it.

The Professor

Did Dave also play those licks in the solo section,

Ya know, it’s entirely possible. He did multiple takes with different effects and those parts could have been mixed in and out in any number of ways. The solo section doesn’t jump out at me as sounding overly “David” like the outro does. However, he was playing a little more inside the box on this session than he usually does and David playing a tame (for him) solo could easily slip past my ear’s radar. I wish I could say for sure. 
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 23, 2015, 01:48:48 PM »

Mr. Lawlor, that internal governor's argument would be only valid if you had spent about as much time making records as Brian has - and if then you had sold zero records, the governor's argument would stand. I say it's ok to make an suggestion once in a while, even to a genius. Smiley

Why do you call him Mr. Lawlor?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 23, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »

They haven't been formally/personally introduced?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: February 23, 2015, 09:39:59 PM »

Kind of out of respect - he's a close friend to Brian's so... you think it's inappropriate?

Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 23, 2015, 10:28:04 PM »

Kind of out of respect - he's a close friend to Brian's so... you think it's inappropriate?

No, not at all.   I've seen it before on here.  I find it.. odd. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 23, 2015, 10:38:52 PM »

It's not that odd, Ms Honey  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 23, 2015, 10:56:06 PM »

That's Mr Wilson to you!

Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 23, 2015, 11:18:44 PM »

It's not that odd, Ms Honey  Grin

Well it could be MRS Honey? Wink   

That's Mr Wilson to you!

Grin

Yes, that's what I mean I suppose Smiley   I don't feel the need to call anyone Mr, Miss, Ms or Mrs on here.  Doesn't mean I don't respect them.   Anyway, enough derailment from me  Razz
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 23, 2015, 11:53:28 PM »

It's not that odd, Ms Honey  Grin

Well it could be MRS Honey? Wink  

"Hi Honey, I'm home! Hope you haven't been posting on that Beach Boys site all day," said Mr Honey after a long day at the office.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:29:32 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: February 24, 2015, 01:02:56 PM »

That's Mr Wilson to you!

Grin

I think that's what I would call him if I met him in person. OK, I'm odd. Smiley

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 24, 2015, 07:00:11 PM »

let's get this back on track, please: I want to hear more about the song, it's art, its reception, its production, its fate, etc. I see 37000 listens on the youtube video. Is that a good start?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 24, 2015, 07:41:32 PM »

let's get this back on track, please: I want to hear more about the song, it's art, its reception, its production, its fate, etc. I see 37000 listens on the youtube video. Is that a good start?
Over 56,000 if you count the trailer. Cool

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 24, 2015, 09:09:53 PM »

Actually, I think that's either Ms. or Mrs. "Wild-Honey," based on the actual screen name, n'est-ce pas??  3D

We have some very cool ladies here with hyphenated names! (BTW, no aspersions implied, filledeplage!)

I predict that we will all be happy and grateful for the greatest gift a BW fan can ever receive--a bumper crop of new music from BW. Shine on, Most Honored Guest!!

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 24, 2015, 10:44:15 PM »

That's Mr Wilson to you!

Grin

I think that's what I would call him if I met him in person. OK, I'm odd. Smiley

Might be a cultural thing, as calling someone by their first name is a different thing for us Germans than it is for Americans.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 25, 2015, 06:27:18 PM »

In the south it's considered a sign of respect you show someone until you know them personally, or they provide you a reason not to show them anymore respect Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx