gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 12:37:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My book I Can Hear Music. Can we work together to get this out?  (Read 8876 times)
MBE
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:59:05 PM »

I keep reading about how much most of you are looking forward to my book so I decided to write this addressed to everyone on the board. I am still waiting on word from a fellow author who thinks he can help me get it out, but it's not a sure thing.  It's not easy for me to sell it right now as I have no free time. I am finishing up a Presley book with a tight deadline and then I am starting a book on The First Edition pretty quickly. I can't put that off any longer as I want them to get some recognition while they are still here and healthy.

So I am reaching out to you. Anyone who knows of an agent, or who knows someone who could make a difference in getting this published with a publisher, please email me edermike@msn.com. Honestly I feel so bad because it's my baby in a way and I would love nothing more than to have people read it. I think the Beach Boys deserve to have some balance in their story too. Jon, Ian and Mark, are doing a great job at this lately, but there is so much exclusive interview material, and uncommon music discussed that I know this has it's own value. I've worked too hard on it, and know there is too good a market on it, to publish it myself. I couldn't give it the quality it would get from a professional publisher at this point because honestly I just don't have the kind of time or money they would be able to give it.

So what do you think we should do? Does anyone feel on line petitions are good, should I forward requests from you all to get it published to the people who may be able to help me? This book is really a product of the excellence of this board and I feel it's time to make it a reality.
Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:03:39 PM by Mike Eder » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:33:59 PM »

A friend just had a book on Rick Nelson published by McFarland, have to talked to them?
MBE
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:40:04 PM »

A friend just had a book on Rick Nelson published by McFarland, have to talked to them?
What is the title? I've been looking for a good book on Rick. Can you ask him who may be best for me to contact there as far as submitting the book?
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 12:27:11 AM »

How about Da Capo, Mike? They've published many fine show business books through the years, kind of low-profile, usually on more old-school genres & personages, but they might be open to the idea. Sorry, I don't have any contacts there.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
MBE
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 12:31:03 AM »

I remember that name I think. What have they put out that you read?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:32:08 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 12:37:32 AM »

Kickstarter!

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
MBE
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 12:42:43 AM »

Kickstarter!
I've heard of them a lot recently. What is the word on them?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 01:11:50 AM »

Kickstarter!
I've heard of them a lot recently. What is the word on them?

Kickstarter would give you the funds to publish it yourself - I suppose you're looking for a publishing house, so it would not be suitable?

If I had any clout where I work (or indeed, were anywhere near the arts section geographically speaking or otherwise) I'd help you out.  I might have a chat with a colleague who's about to move up to the London office to work on art books. Something might come up.

Besides that, Da Capo would be a very good bet, especially in the USA. Small, music focussed publishing, very prestigious. I'd definitely contact them, they'd probably love a Beach Boys book.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 02:51:40 AM »

I wish you luck. My forthcoming biography of BREAD received enough rejections to re-wallpaper the house before Helter Skelter Publishing took it up (due out in December). They've already had a few books on the BB's published in the past (by Kingsley Abbott) but are a fairly small house so they won't be looking for new projects until next year at the earliest. Nevertheless, persistence pays off so don't give up !

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
MBE
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 03:56:45 AM »

I won't give up and thank you guys. Helter Skelter and De Capo both sound like good options and I will follow up on it.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 04:16:32 AM »

You could always try self-publishing. For fairly niche books like yours, it probably makes about as much financial sense as getting it out with a publisher. I've self-published several books if you decide to go in that direction and want advice.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 06:19:28 AM »

Good luck getting it out there, Mike. Looking forward to it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 06:27:08 AM »

I'd love to read it. Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge about this topic. If it helps, I will say that I certainly would buy a copy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »

Again thank you for the support. After my Elvis book is finished at the end of this month, I will devote a few months to pursuing all the ideas put here or sent to me.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 05:04:11 PM »

Get a nice self-contained selection or two published in a good venue as an "excerpt from the forthcoming blah blah blah blah." That would help.
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 07:57:15 AM »

Kickstarter is interesting. I recently spoke to an author going that route. You get pledges from people who would be interested in supporting the project, and it goes forward only if you reach the amount you say you need to get the book published. It's a real DIY path, but I'm sure you would find a lot of fans who would kick in some dollars, in return for, say an autographed copy. Persistence does pay off, Mike. It took me a long time and a lot of disinterest before I found a publisher!

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »

Ironically enough, I am currently interviewing Sheree Homer, author of Rick Nelson: Rock 'N' Roll Pioneer. The book has tons of new interviews with Rick's bandmates and friends, including a very rare conversation with Kristen [Kris] Harmon, Rick's wife. She also provided at least 30 unseen photos from her archive. The only thing to consider -- the publisher, McFarland, priced the book kinda high at $35 [paperback, 196 pages]. I still recommend it, though.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:13:54 PM by jeremylr » Logged
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »

Kickstarter could be an excellent route to go.  You should look into it.  As Mark said... you essentially collect donations from people to finance the book.  I know of several musicians who have used similar approaches (not sure if it's the same site) and it's worked out great (Juliana Hatfield and Ben Folds Five).  I would have to believe that there is another interest in the BB that you could raise the necessary funds... and with the world wide web... you can reach interested fans in all sorts of countries.  I, for one, would love to kick in if you went this route.  We've been blessed by several great, new BB books in recent years... and there is always room for another.  I can think of few fan bases who care as deeply as Beach Boy fans!

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
MBE
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 08:17:52 PM »

Well thank you all for giving me info. I will keep at it especally after this month. I have to hit my deadline on the Presley book, but next month I can start shopping it harder.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 05:03:35 AM »

Well thank you all for giving me info. I will keep at it especally after this month. I have to hit my deadline on the Presley book, but next month I can start shopping it harder.

But please keep us also updated about the Presley-book

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 06:17:01 PM »

Get a nice self-contained selection or two published in a good venue as an "excerpt from the forthcoming blah blah blah blah." That would help.
That is a fine idea too. I didn't see that before. The Elvis book will be done at the end of this month Rocker and should be out in about 10 months.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 08:00:07 PM »

Well, Mike, you're in Chicago...and Yuval Taylor over at Chicago Review Press is an editor who has put together a very extensive list of music-related books, both new titles and reissues.  And he does have an interest in California music - two of his recently acquired titles are a biography of Karen Carpenter and an anthology of writing about the Carpenters. I think he has over a hundred music books in his backlist and...lemme check the CRP site....just as I thought - not a single book about the Beach Boys yet. So I'd suggest you get in touch with him at ytaylor@chicagoreviewpress.com
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 08:10:31 PM »

Well, Mike, you're in Chicago...and Yuval Taylor over at Chicago Review Press is an editor who has put together a very extensive list of music-related books, both new titles and reissues.  And he does have an interest in California music - two of his recently acquired titles are a biography of Karen Carpenter and an anthology of writing about the Carpenters. I think he has over a hundred music books in his backlist and...lemme check the CRP site....just as I thought - not a single book about the Beach Boys yet. So I'd suggest you get in touch with him at ytaylor@chicagoreviewpress.com

Chicago Review Press did Charles Granata's Wouldn't It Be Nice: Brian Wilson and the Making of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. Which is not to say they wouldn't do another BBs book.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 08:19:45 PM »

Chicago Review Press did Charles Granata's Wouldn't It Be Nice: Brian Wilson and the Making of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. Which is not to say they wouldn't do another BBs book.

Forgot about that one. CRP no longer has it listed on its site, and the book appears to be out of print.
MBE
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 08:39:43 PM »

Thank you very much for the email. I will be in contact with him.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx