gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680715 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 12:40:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBC Wouldn't It Be Nice 2004  (Read 6443 times)
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2012, 06:45:24 AM »

Very sorry if there is a thread for this - I tried to use the search feature but didn't come up with anything.

Was just saying I'd like to hear from anyone who Probably May have any info on this doc.

I only saw it at the time - never since - and it was a big part of why I got into the Beach Boys. From my memory – it even touched on things that Endless Harmony didn’t.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »

It was discussed here a long time ago: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6774.msg108558.html#msg108558

Speaking of the documentary, is there anywhere I can find it? I've tried searching online for it and found nothing.

Patricia Ferrelli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

You can find it here -

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/59284476
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »

Nice! Did the narrator just say "Sex, Drugs, and Beards"?? LOL
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 02:01:29 AM »

Thank you so much!!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 03:30:35 AM »

Thanks - haven't seen it in ages... great documentary. In a lot of ways I prefer it to Endless Harmony.

"We milked it dry. We milked it f*cking dry." (Brian) Grin

P.S.

Kind of a sad thing that there still isn't an actually comprehensive documentary about their career (something that should be too long for just one DVD - I'm talking Beatles Anthology or similar projects here). Let's make it as long as those Pendletones are still up and running, please...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:40:18 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 03:39:20 AM »

plz delete
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 06:16:10 AM »

Much prefer this to Endless Harmony. I think it's the only doc that makes a point of highlighting the stranger aspects of the Beach Boys story. It's something that I struggle to articulate to people who aren't aware of the full picture.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 12:12:24 AM »

It's good but there's still not even close to definitive.  Dave's inclusion in the anniversary was really nice because interviews went into everything at the beginning.  For instance, Dave's description of he and Carl bringing the rock guitar into the equation shows the actual progression while this doc (and most others) show it as Murry > Four Freshmen > Surfin > Surfin' Safari but without explanation, that last jump comes out of nowhere. 

Another one that always gets me is if that progression (Brian's first exposure to music > Brian learns harmonies > first original song > Rock And Roll band) is true, where does "Surfer Girl" (the "first" song Brian wrote) fit into the equation?  Methinks it's just another "Dave replaced Al, who later replaced Dave" example of clear press shorthand, turning into gospel over time. 

I've heard some people speculate that "Surfer Girl" was the first song Brian wrote the music AND words for but if that's the case, what's the deal with "Little Surfer Girl" from the 93 box set?  Yes, it's just a snippet but surely there was more.  Recording one line without any harmony wasn't Brian's usual thing back then.  And does anyone know where it came from?  Is it a home recording?  Was it done at the Morgans' place?  World Pacific?  Western?   Huh

EVERY BB doc goes into great detail about the formation of the band, up through "Surfin'", then paints with a very wide brush until Bruce joins, goes into even greater detail for Pet Sounds, "Good Vibrations", and Smile, and then pretty much skips or switches back to an even wider brush until Endless Summer (with more recent docs repeating the last step with an even WIDER brush, touchong only on the Wilson brothers' death and "Kokomo"), and tops it off with a resolution.

Sunflower is usually touched upon because it's such a favorite of the band but the only documentary or career overview to even mention Ricky and Blondie was Endless Harmony and even there, it wound up as a "deleted scene".  (Not surprising, since most of them fail to mention David either!)

Sad to say tho, the reason why the Beatles got such an in depth look (over roughly a ten year period) is twofold: 1) They never delivered a "bunt".  The only "failures" they ever had were "Strawberry Fields Forever" "only" reaching number two on the charts, the critical response to the Magical Mystery Tour film (though the soundtrack was still a huge success), and the Yellow Submarine soundtrack being kept from the top spot by the white album!  And 2) Their history is PERFECT in a narrative setting: Introduction (formation, Hamburg, success), Conflict (experimentation, pushing boundaries, no longer touring), Climax (Brian's death, MMT "failing", Yoko/white album/falling out), Resolution ("And in the end, the love you take.....") 

So as much as I'd love to see a film project that really covered Wild Honey, Holland, Spring, and even Summer In Paradise and Home Improvement, we just have to accept that it's just no worth it for any producer out there to EVER make it happen.   Embarrassed
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:35:48 AM by Phoenix » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 02:57:19 AM »

For that matter, another one that always gets me is it that progression (Brian's first exposure to musical > Brian learns harmonies > first original song > Rock And Roll band) is true, where does "Surfer Girl" (the "first" song Brian wrote) fit into the equation?  Methinks it's just another "Dave replaced Al, who later replaced Dave" example of clear press shorthand, turning into gospel over time. 

I've heard some people speculate that "Surfer Girl" was the first song Brian wrote the music AND words for but if that's the case, what's the deal with "Little Surfer Girl" from the 93 box set?  Yes, it's just a snippet but surely there was more.  Recording one line without any harmony wasn't Brian's usual thing back then.  And does anyone know where it came from?  Is it a home recording?  Was it done at the Morgans' place?  World Pacific?  Western?   Huh

I think the whole "first song" thing is certainly not accurate, and hasn't always been the official description. in Lost Concert, I think, Mike describes it as "our first slow song" or something.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 10:12:16 PM »

Nice! Did the narrator just say "Sex, Drugs, and Beards"?? LOL

Yes, loved that line when it ws said!!!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx