gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680792 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:34:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine Appreciation  (Read 21513 times)
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2016, 03:56:00 AM »

When the Beach boys split into two camps "Dennis and Carl", "Al and Mike".  When and why did the relationship between Mike and Al deteriorate?
Brians Sandbox
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2016, 04:02:54 AM »

I don't know but you have to keep it clean with Al Jardine.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2016, 07:26:30 AM »

Mr. Hickey, that was great post! I too think he sings better than Carl did. And OSD, you're right, M&B would benefit from having Al in the band (I like the line-up as it is, mind you).

The TWGMTR album would have been even better if there had been more Al leads. I absolutely love "Susie Cincinnati", "Santa Ana Winds" and "Waves Of Love (saxophone version)".
Add "California Energy Blues" & "Out in the Country".

Al Jardine elevated No Pier Pressure from a good album to a very good album, bordering on great.

Having Al singing on the album with Brian was something special, and I hope Al continues to work with Brian for the rest of their careers. 
Yes & yes. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2016, 08:08:40 AM »

Mr. Hickey, that was great post! I too think he sings better than Carl did. And OSD, you're right, M&B would benefit from having Al in the band (I like the line-up as it is, mind you).

Thank you. And yes, Al would definitely be an asset to the current touring band. It's a shame that when Christian left the band, there was too much bad blood between the various members to have Al replace him.
That said, I've enjoyed seeing Al play with Brian's band, and I actually think he adds *more* to Brian's band, in his co-frontman role, than he would to Mike's -- but Brian's band play far fewer shows than Mike and Bruce, which means I've only been able to see them once since the reunion tour, while I've seen Mike and Bruce five times in the same period. So from a performance point of view I'm glad he's where he is, but from a purely selfish perspective I'd rather he be with Mike & Bruce.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2016, 11:46:07 PM »

I've often suspected that Al had a large role in the unique sound that the band had in the early 70s -- that combination of folky instruments like banjo and pedal steel, with Moogs, which I find absolutely wonderful and which no-one else seems to have done.

Certainly not disagreeing with your overall thesis, but fans of rootsy instruments jutting up against Moog synthesiser really aren't going to go far wrong with The Notorious Byrd Brothers (produced by Gary Usher).

IMHO, a credible candidate for best album of all time!  Anyway, anybody who loves any of the BB's stuff from the Pet Sounds through Holland needs to hear Notorious...  massive studio creativity coupled with the Byrds' usual brilliant harmonies (even tho Crosby is only on about half of it, McGuinn, Crosby and (allegedly in a few places) Clark's harmonies still shine. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx