gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:47:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine Appreciation  (Read 21497 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »

Seems like the most down-to-earth. I like the way all of his shirts are too big. His voice is very distinctive, then and now. It has held up extremely well. His vocal on Crack At Your Love makes that song. I also think it's cute how he reveres Brian, always hanging around him, complementing him, talking with him on stage.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 08:15:06 AM »

Al Jardine is gifted with a strong, rich voice. His voice in the blend is one of the key ingredients that makes The Beach Boys sound like The Beach Boys, a point driven home time and again by this year's reunion shows. Otherwise, I've found him to be a true gent, a guy with a big heart, and definitely a down-to-earth human, not someone on a "star trip."

halblaineisgood
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 09:51:06 AM »

His voice in the blend is one of the key ingredients that makes The Beach Boys sound like The Beach Boys, a point driven home time and again by this year's reunion shows.

The way he's kept it up could make you cry.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:52:50 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »

I also think it's cute how he reveres Brian, always hanging around him, complementing him, talking with him on stage.

I've noticed in recent interviews that he's the one who seems to revere Brian the most. Not that he didn't necessarily appreciate Brian's talent before, but it seems like his appreciation has grown. I remember that one interview where he praised Smile as a great masterpiece.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 10:10:53 AM »

He's both the best living singer in the band (and, controversial opinion here, but he was better than Carl for the last couple of decades of Carl's life too) and the one who has been nicest during my brief meetings with the band over the years. He may not be the greatest songwriter in the band, but he's someone I'd find it hard to say a bad word about, and that's not true of any of the others.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »

there's this great video that might still be on youtube of Al at some awards show and there's a  bunch of guitarists who all do little short solo to introduce themselves, people like Tom Petty and Chuck Berry and Hubert Sumlin (these are just examples, might not have been the actual personel). and then they say, "and Al Jardine of the Beach Boys!" and he plays the worst solo. it's cute.

number 9.........enjoy yourselves    Grin

http://mojomagazine.tumblr.com/post/21385581099/farewell-american-bandstands-dick-clark

or go here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpy4NfDQjio&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:22:20 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Russ_B66
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »

The most enjoyable part of the Knebworth live cd is Al. The Cottonfields/Heroes medley and Lady Lynda. I love that Mike calls for a reprise of Lady Lynda. I love Al and it was a treat to see him share the stage with Brian in Boston a few years back and of course at the BB shows this year.

Russ
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 12:17:38 PM »

Probably a simple answer. Just about as basic as an accompanist gets?

A few songs of Al playing solo earlier his year on my channel. Here's "Heroes and Villians"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZmW-bgJs_4&list=UUdmS9B6Qr3lJwYZdQEj5QtQ&index=24&feature=plcp
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »

I can't believe I missed that despite having it on the calendar! Underlined, even. Thanks for the videoing, wonderful stuff.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 12:34:36 PM »

there's this great video that might still be on youtube of Al at some awards show and there's a  bunch of guitarists who all do little short solo to introduce themselves, people like Tom Petty and Chuck Berry and Hubert Sumlin (these are just examples, might not have been the actual personel). and then they say, "and Al Jardine of the Beach Boys!" and he plays the worst solo. it's cute.

http://mojomagazine.tumblr.com/post/21385581099/farewell-american-bandstands-dick-clark

or go here...

If properly trebled up, and surged -- a straight-ahead Beach Boys rhythm part would of made for a  much better "solo" than that.   Afro
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:59:33 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »

Well Al's not playing a solo. I wrote that in these videos Al was solo...as in "unaccompanied" and playing all by himself (which is the best way to see "who he is" as a guitarist, as you've put it).
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »

The beginning of that bandstand clip is even funnier when they introduce Al and he clearly looks SHOCKED to be called as he is in midwine sip.

It was SO good to listen to BB harmonies and hear Al in there again. It sounded like the BB.  Since he's been gone people have duplicated his leads well but the harmony was always missing something. The two that sealed it for me on this tour was him echoing Brian on IJWMFFT . That was a highlight on their '06 tour and I was so thrilled to hear it again. Also having him sing WIBN. I've listened to many people sing it and it was just always missing something , good not great. But then you hear Al tear into it this year and I was like YES that's it. Especially in the concerts where he was louder than Jeff like Wembley.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 12:50:34 PM »

I can't believe I missed that despite having it on the calendar! Underlined, even. Thanks for the videoing, wonderful stuff.

Glad you enjoyed it!  If you're interested, here's the original thead from when the event happened.  Hard to imagine that this occurred about a week before the first show of the reunion tour. 

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12762.0.html
halblaineisgood
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2012, 12:53:25 PM »

there's this great video that might still be on youtube of Al at some awards show and there's a  bunch of guitarists who all do little short solo to introduce themselves, people like Tom Petty and Chuck Berry and Hubert Sumlin (these are just examples, might not have been the actual personel). and then they say, "and Al Jardine of the Beach Boys!" and he plays the worst solo. it's cute.

number 9.........enjoy yourselves    Grin

or go here...

If properly trebled up, and surged -- a straight-ahead Beach Boys rhythm part would of made for a  much better "solo" than that.   Afro
Well Al's not playing a solo. I wrote that in these videos Al was solo...as in "unaccompanied" and playing all by himself (which is the best way to see "who he is" as a guitarist, as you've put it).
I was talking about the American Bandstand clip. Smiley

Al knows who he is. He is the least skilled guitarist on stage during the oldies jam by legends of classic rock; The Part Where They Solo. It's fun to see Al in that role, as opposed to Bruce Springsteen... I'm f*ckin 'sick of that guy getting up on stage to jam.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:53:38 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 11:45:53 PM »

or go here...

Thank you, Steve Mayo, for finding this utterly cool jam session! I jolly like such kind of videos! I don't mind whether Al played the guitar solo worse than others ot not. To me, he's the best. At least, no one of those guitarists can sing like Al, that's for sure. Btw, was nice to see Billy Preston! I liked his solo records & have some of them in my collection. He's a great keaboards player. And singer too.
I got to see Billy in concert shortly before his death, no sign of ill health during his performance. Great guy. Back on topic, Al isn't exactly a prolific songwriter, but I generally enjoy his contributions to the BB's, have listened to his solo album a number of times and quite enjoy it. Definately the best singer in the current lineup...oh, shoot, that's right, he's not in the current lineup. Dang it, ML, you sure know how to mess up a good thing!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2012, 09:28:45 AM »

There is a lot to like with this man.   For my money, his vocals MADE the celebration tour.  So much in fact that I would have been satisfied with a post reunion lineup of Al with the Mike'/Bruce  band.  Such a vocal lineup would sound much like the touring band did for a couple of decades before Carl's death.  I could listen to that sound  from now on.

I also like that Al settled in Big Sur, became a local there, and had a genuine love and appreciation of that place that is in my heart, my second home.  When I'm not there, I daydream about it.    I like it that he performed his solo album at the Henry Miller Library  near his home in Big Sur.  Don't Fight the Sea conjures images of the wild and windy Phifer Beach just down the road from his home.

He has been the little guy who stood tall and hung in there despite being an often unappreciated stepbrother for many years. 

And despite his somewhat limited activity with the Beachboys these past 14 years, has produced what I think is the best solo lp of any member of the band, (although some would argue that LOS is better).
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 09:39:37 AM »

Utmost appreciation and respect for Al. Everytime we've ever seen the BB in concert he has always looked like he is having fun on stage and performing. He's taken care of his voice over the years and it shows. An important part of the harmony that sets the group apart from others. I met him once a day after the R&R Induction of the group and congratulated him about it and he was as humble as could be. Some friends talked to him after an Al Jardine and Friends concert in an out of the way place and they said he was very friendly and accommodating.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 10:54:27 AM »

Had the opportunity to meet Al maybe 10 times over the years, wonderfully kind guy every time without fail (which is true about some, but not all, of his bandmates). Same can be said about Matt, which in turn says something about Al.  And what a voice...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:58:28 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 03:46:49 PM »

I met Al after a show he performed with his band in Scottsdale, AZ, two years ago. He was very patient with those who waited around hoping to meet him. This was shortly after the first version of "Postcard" had been released, and I brought my CD-R purchased from Amazon just in case I might be able to get his signature. He seemed genuinely surprised & appreciative that I already had the album... "Hey, you've got the album!"... and then asked me what I thought of the group's performance of "Don't Fight The Sea", which I think he had introduced by saying it was only their second time playing it for a live audience. I was... and still am... thrilled that a Beach Boy asked me how he did.

I didn't dare tell him that I had videoed it, but here it is, if anybody wants to judge for him or herself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocnmaDdE8k4

Interesting comment after the song, indicating Al wasn't sure if the song was ready for prime time. Although I think he would be entitled after all he's done, it doesn't seem to me that Al has an ounce of ego.  As they say, "The Gentleman
from Monterey".
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »

It's funny cause i was just listening to From There To Back Again for the first time in a while and realized how really beautiful it is, not onyl because of how well written it is (thank god Brian Wilson is still here) but also because the amazing Al Jardine's vocal performance! man, that really has to be one of the most beautiful song he sang.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »

What's the consensus on Loop de Loop?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »

Nice try (both your question and Al's work on it).

Seriously, it is kinda fun.  It's also amusing Al was so obsessed with it. 
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »

I kinda picture him feeding goats and humming it to himself.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2012, 03:33:12 PM »

It's also amusing Al was so obsessed with it. 
Al  should open a restaurant. Call it The Loop de  Loop. Biplane replica and  big smiling Al out front.  All the waiters are named Pete.

If Bill Wyman can own a  BBQ joint called Sticky Fingers... why not ?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:01:25 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx