gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:58:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New EP on iTunes featuring the single mix of "Isn't It Time" plus live tracks.  (Read 11524 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/isnt-it-time-ep/id567488109

EDIT: Corrected the link to iTunes.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:03:19 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:18:48 PM »

Nice.

California Girls is great.

Do It Again.. ha. Studio version vocals laid on top of the live track, smh. Haven't gotten to Sail on Sailor yet.. scared.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 09:37:28 PM »

My download has the album title labeled as the Give Me ALL Your Fuckin' Money, Bitch! EP. Weird.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:06:56 PM »

damn listen to that live b-pain
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:39:33 PM »

If a physical copy comes out, I'll buy it. Otherwise, nah.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 12:23:58 AM »

I quite dig the single version of "Isn't It Time"...a nice departure from the original version.  Both versions work well.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 01:26:03 AM »

Nice.

Do It Again.. ha. Studio version vocals laid on top of the live track, smh. Haven't gotten to Sail on Sailor yet.. scared.

Sail On Sailor is the same version that's on the NPR concert (which was supposed to be from "Grand Prairie TX"), as well as the Front Row Center special. Do It Again also sounds suspiciously the same between the iTunes and NPR concert version, though I couldn't get them to stay in sync perfectly (not an easy thing to do, on-the-fly, with a streaming iTunes clip). Nonetheless, the lead vocal is identical.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 01:27:06 AM »

why must the Beach Boys lie to us on a regular basis?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 01:43:46 AM »

why must the Beach Boys lie to us on a regular basis?

I'll play the role of devil's advocate, fanboy apologist for a second and say that...this kind of stuff is par-for-the-course these days in terms of live releases with many bands. Flying stuff in from different shows, laying in studio overdubs, etc. Though, I'll also admit that the BBs often take it to a whole new level...lol. As we also already know, some of the stuff from the NPR concert was lifted from the Sirius show.

Still, they're nice versions, well-mixed and in good quality. So, supporter that I am, I'll probably purchase the iTunes shebang anyway for an official digital audio release.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 04:28:42 AM »

What I don't understand is... They played scores of shows this year, why go back to the super early Grand Prairie gig? Surely they'd recorded some better, more recent versions of these songs, right?
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 04:34:36 AM »

Yes they did, but they need editing, fixing, overdubbing, mixing, mastering, etc
Probably not worth just for some iTunes bonus tracks.

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 04:48:52 AM »

I just checked, and the wording of the NPR Concert now says "Hear an hour of highlights from several of The Beach Boys' recent shows." So, I guess those tracks *could* be from Chicago. Something like "Rhonda" on NPR is definitely from Grand Prairie, as I have an audience video source to check it against, and it's just a straight mixdown of that track (i.e. it's the performance where the bra is thrown on stage and hung on Al's mike stand right before the song).

However, as noted as well, the iTunes version of SOS is *also* the same version that's on the Front Row Center TV special/DVD. Does the venue there look like Chicago? I honestly don't know. I suppose audience recordings of the Chicago shows might help as well.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:16:25 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 06:04:32 AM »

Nice.

Sail On Sailor is the same version that's on the NPR concert (which was supposed to be from "Grand Prairie TX"), as well as the Front Row Center special. Do It Again also sounds suspiciously the same between the iTunes and NPR concert version, though I couldn't get them to stay in sync perfectly (not an easy thing to do, on-the-fly, with a streaming iTunes clip). Nonetheless, the lead vocal is identical.

I'm not surprised. Those vox are definitely pulled from the 2011 remake version & everything else has been overdubbed / tuned to death. Makes you wonder.. Was the actual tape of the performance THAT bad?? I find that hard to believe after seeing them perform & hearing all of the audience tapes. Ah whatever, I bought it anyway.

Btw, and I didn't mean for this to happen, but the single version of Isn't It Time has replaced the original for me already. I listened to the album version again the other day and it sounded very bare-bones, almost demo-ish to me.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 06:11:26 AM »

Was the actual tape of the performance THAT bad??

Probably not.

I listened to the album version again the other day and it sounded very bare-bones, almost demo-ish to me.

Part of its charm imo

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 06:22:57 AM »

Btw, and I didn't mean for this to happen, but the single version of Isn't It Time has replaced the original for me already. I listened to the album version again the other day and it sounded very bare-bones, almost demo-ish to me.

I'm a fan of both, but the single version has been my favorite ever since I first heard it...it's got a great energy running through it.
_____

I'm really liking this EP, but the autotune on SOS is killing me.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 06:45:36 AM »

Reckon this is what they mean by releasing it as a single?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 07:05:19 AM »

I don't mind the live tracks despite the obvious tinkering.  It's nice to have a version of "Sail On Sailor" with Brian on vocals, even if they're overly processed.  I just hope that a future live album (which should be coming soon, right?) doesn't go as hard, maybe have Mark Linett mix it.  (And praying for a release of the Royal Albert Hall show)

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 08:20:47 AM »

(And praying for a release of the Royal Albert Hall show)

We should really try and make this happen. I'd love for a full show, preferrably this one, be released as the set. Of course, minor tweaking will always be done when it comes to an official live release, but I love the idea of one full concert instead of a hodge-podge of different shows. They did EVERY song from the tour in one show, and thank Banana and Louie that it happened to be one of Brian's best shows on this tour ever. USE IT.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 08:31:05 AM »

We should really try and make this happen. I'd love for a full show, preferrably this one, be released as the set. Of course, minor tweaking will always be done when it comes to an official live release, but I love the idea of one full concert instead of a hodge-podge of different shows. They did EVERY song from the tour in one show, and thank Banana and Louie that it happened to be one of Brian's best shows on this tour ever. USE IT.

… we're assuming it was recorded?  This is the Beach Boys we're discussing, not MENSA…

“We live in divisive times.”
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 09:45:59 AM »

There were plenty of cameras and few cameramen so it would appear that the show was recorded in multi-angle.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 11:13:09 AM »

… we're assuming it was recorded?  This is the Beach Boys we're discussing, not MENSA…

It's really easy these days to at least make a soundboard recording of a live show. I would guess they at the very least have a pristine digital stereo soundboard recording of every show on this tour. With digital/PC technology, this is really easily done. Of course, a stereo live mix is not "releasable" by industry standards, as they would want to do more mixing to release anything.

Again, assuming you have lots of hard drive space, recording every show on the tour in multitrack form would also not be difficult.

The only bit of *extra* hope I have about the Royal Albert Hall show being released is that it's at least possible that the reason they ran through all 61 songs that they had played on tour was so that they could make sure they captured everything they had played on tour in releasable audio form, and/or to have more to work with if they are planning on some hodge-podge live album pulled from multiple shows.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:14:31 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 03:31:27 PM »

Anyone notice the question mark that is now part of the title?

Gotta say I dig the original. This version is harmless enough, save the awful processing on the  "isn't it time to be lovers" bit, and though I prefer Mike's bridge over Jeff's, the single is a really good song as opposed to this version which is, in my mind, mediocre.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:37:53 PM by Zach95 » Logged

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »

If you play both bridges at the same time, they fit perfectly. If it wasn't for the different lyrics/sped up single version. Although if you leave them both playing it ends up sounding like the runout groove of Sgt Pepper.  LOL
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:49:55 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 04:45:06 AM »

It would have been nice if they would have included an Al lead song on this EP.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 07:57:01 AM »

Nice.

I'm not surprised. Those vox are definitely pulled from the 2011 remake version & everything else has been overdubbed / tuned to death. Makes you wonder.. Was the actual tape of the performance THAT bad?? I find that hard to believe after seeing them perform & hearing all of the audience tapes. Ah whatever, I bought it anyway.

I don't think SOS is from the NPR concert--listen to Brian's growl on the EP which was totally absent on the NPR version.  Was it overdubbed here?  Maybe, but then again this could just be a completely different recording as they suggest

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx