gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:07:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Hate Love Relationship  (Read 20068 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2012, 07:43:13 PM »

Bruce invited himself into the band. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2012, 07:55:07 PM »

Since Mike's Hall of Fame speech has been discussed in this thread, I thought I would add Neil Young's thoughts from his new book.
 "Mike Love of the Beach Boys, and several others have made long speeches that covered things they needed to say, and they exercised that right.  It was amazing to hear their takes on life, how they had been done right or wrong, who they blamed for their problems and thanked for their victories on the way to the Hall.  It was an honour to hear them talking to their peers..."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2012, 07:56:15 PM »

As much as I dislike Bruce's politics, and as much I think he's a bit of a flake, his participation in the reunion shows was needed. Not only was his performance on Disney Girls usually a highlight, he was an important part of the harmony blend. Now, on the M&B shows, though, he seems somewhat superfluous.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2012, 08:03:46 PM »

Since Mike's Hall of Fame speech has been discussed in this thread, I thought I would add Neil Young's thoughts from his new book.
 "Mike Love of the Beach Boys, and several others have made long speeches that covered things they needed to say, and they exercised that right.  It was amazing to hear their takes on life, how they had been done right or wrong, who they blamed for their problems and thanked for their victories on the way to the Hall.  It was an honour to hear them talking to their peers..."
Neil Young is awesome like that, he loves to hear honest opinions and defends that right.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
halblaineisgood
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2012, 08:59:42 PM »

Neil Young sounds like a pretty cool dude.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2012, 09:30:56 PM »

Mike Love's speech that night is the best thing to ever happen to the R&R Hall of Fame.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2012, 09:58:18 PM »

Mike Love's speech that night is the best thing to ever happen to the R&R Hall of Fame.

Exactly, along with Johnny Rotten's letter.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »

Anyone who talks trash on that ridiculous institution is a true rock 'n roller.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2012, 10:26:42 PM »

Dylan's response later that night was better.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2012, 01:20:36 AM »

Bruce adjusts the microphones. No Bruce, no proper sound balance. The harmonies are ruined.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2012, 02:35:54 AM »

As much as I dislike Bruce's politics, and as much I think he's a bit of a flake, his participation in the reunion shows was needed. Not only was his performance on Disney Girls usually a highlight, he was an important part of the harmony blend. Now, on the M&B shows, though, he seems somewhat superfluous.

He has a lot more to do in the M& B shows though. Singing the lead on half dozen songs.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2012, 03:37:35 AM »

I think that one of the reasons that Mike has such an negative public image also has to do with his treatment of the fans and other people who have encountered him off-stage. While I always read very positive things about people's interactions with Carl, and for the most part, Brian and Al, no one seems to have had any positive experiences with Mike (except attractive women!) From just reading this board, for example, it seems that most of the comments about people meeting Mike are that he was unfriendly or aloof. And this is from both casual fans and those who are more involved with the band. It is well documented that Mike's stage antics have long rubbed many the wrong way, and if you combine that with the fact that many people's one on one interactions have also been unpleasant, you are left with a man who does not engender much good will. Most of us were pleasantly surprised that he acted so well on the anniversary tour, as if bad behavior were the expected norm with Mike.

I've met Mike twice. The first time, after a show, he was very friendly indeed. The second time, at the train station in Milan this year, he was very polite, though he made it clear he didn't want to stick around and chat for long as he had a train to catch (which is absolutely reasonable). I know plenty of other people who have had very good experiences meeting Mike too. Of the five surviving band members, he's probably the friendliest other than Al in my limited experience.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2012, 03:46:22 AM »

He has a lot more to do in the M& B shows though. Singing the lead on half dozen songs.

No he doesn't. Taking this set as an example -- http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/9-25-09.html -- it's a set of about the same length as some of the shorter reunion shows, and he sings lead on three of them out of thirty-nine (Do You Wanna Dance, God Only Knows and Disney Girls), although Christian sometimes takes the lead on GOK. When I saw them last year he sang lead on two songs out of 25 (GOK and Do You Wanna Dance), and on the UK tour in 2008, when they did 52-song sets, he sang lead on Wendy, God Only Knows, Disney Girls and two lines of Here Today.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2012, 06:07:09 AM »

No he doesn't. Taking this set as an example -- http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/9-25-09.html -- it's a set of about the same length as some of the shorter reunion shows, and he sings lead on three of them out of thirty-nine (Do You Wanna Dance, God Only Knows and Disney Girls), although Christian sometimes takes the lead on GOK. When I saw them last year he sang lead on two songs out of 25 (GOK and Do You Wanna Dance), and on the UK tour in 2008, when they did 52-song sets, he sang lead on Wendy, God Only Knows, Disney Girls and two lines of Here Today.

Surfer Girl, In My Room, Please Let Me Wonder.  His vocals are prominent on these songs. Kiss Me Baby was done as a duet with Mike I believe.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2012, 07:26:43 AM »

Surfer Girl, In My Room, Please Let Me Wonder.  His vocals are prominent on these songs. Kiss Me Baby was done as a duet with Mike I believe.

Please Let Me Wonder wasn't on the setlist I was using as an example, and I don't think they've done it in quite some time. Surfer Girl and In My Room don't really have lead singers, and Bruce doesn't do any more on those in Mike & Bruce shows than in the reunion shows. Kiss Me Baby is, I believe, shared between Mike and Randell.

EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2012, 07:28:41 AM »

It would've been more funnier if Mike punched Jann Wenner in the face on that day to LOL
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »

Please Let Me Wonder wasn't on the setlist I was using as an example, and I don't think they've done it in quite some time. Surfer Girl and In My Room don't really have lead singers, and Bruce doesn't do any more on those in Mike & Bruce shows than in the reunion shows. Kiss Me Baby is, I believe, shared between Mike and Randell.

Bruce sings the 'We could ride... ' section of SurferGirl. Obviously Brian sang it this summer.

He also sings the first line of in my room and is much more prominent
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »

It was a thing of beauty

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2012, 12:06:56 PM »

It was a thing of beauty

Mike's speech was awesome. He didn't do it for the same reasons as I would like, but the end result is still highly entertaining. He seemed to be doing it more in an egotistical, whiney, slightly out-of-it way, as opposed to a really hardline fashion meant to just tell the R&R HOF that they suck. He was telling some of the artists they suck more than saying the R&R HOF sucks.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »

I wonder what he would've done if "The Boss" actually did come up on stage and jam. Hold a tambourine? Point at random audience members? When does Mike Love participate in jams?

Once Billy Joel started "tickling the ivories" in this hypothetical scenario, he'd be in deep trouble.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2012, 12:15:42 PM »

It was a thing of beauty

Mike's speech was awesome. He didn't do it for the same reasons as I would like, but the end result is still highly entertaining. He seemed to be doing it more in an egotistical, whiney, slightly out-of-it way, as opposed to a really hardline fashion meant to just tell the R&R HOF that they suck. He was telling some of the artists they suck more than saying the R&R HOF sucks.

Maybe, but the people he singled out are all kind of lame showbiz types, so I'm on board for the whole speech.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:39:25 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2012, 12:42:31 PM »

I wonder what he would've done if "The Boss" actually did come up on stage and jam.

Sing?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2012, 12:46:56 PM »

Over the top of a guitar solo? Sing what? Awkward. I bet Paul Shaffer would've dug it tho. You can picture his head nodding as he plays some goofy organ riff.

I suppose he could've had Ali carrying his sax case for him that night. Might've come in handy.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:48:56 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2012, 12:49:45 PM »

The Beach Boys were/are too good for that room full of bloated over-praised jack-offs and Mike knew it!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »

Over the top of a guitar solo? Sing what?

"Well you knew all along that your dad was getting wise to you now..."

Come on, don't you know the Beach Boys' songs? "Fun, Fun, Fun", one of the greatest songs in the history of rock & roll, and a song that Mike Love wrote the lyrics for. Well, it has this instrumental bridge which features an organ and guitar; after that bridge Mike could sing the song.

Didn't you ever see the post-ceremony jam session from that night? That's basically what went down. People played instruments and people sang....
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx