gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:42:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50 Big Ones (Remixes?)  (Read 12914 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »

oh god Wild Honey is AMAZING WHY DON'T THEY RELEASE THE WHOLE DAMN ALBUM!!!!!!!!!?HuhHuh??

It's a mystery

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 01:14:13 PM »

oh god Wild Honey is AMAZING WHY DON'T THEY RELEASE THE WHOLE DAMN ALBUM!!!!!!!!!?HuhHuh??

It's a mystery

they will, but there is no point dumping 10 albums on the market at one time. because these albums are not only reissues, but stereo mixes, they want people to pick up everything. For example, WH would compete with Smiley Smile, many would perhaps not buy both, but give it a year or so, then perhaps one can get more cash from both of them (whih is the ultimate goal). If this is not the case, then capitol might consider WH so worthless than no one would buy a stereo issue anyway. who knows?
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »

It's a mystery

wrapped in a riddle

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »

incase anyones wondering, a selection of the remasters got taken down, so i took the rest down to save my youtube channel. Sorry 'bout that, but I like me channel as it is. Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »

I am shocked disgusted, that there is no single version of California, R'nR Music, It's OK and Here Comes The Night (1979) on 50BO.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 03:13:55 PM »

Sorry if this has been discussed already.  I just found this stereo remix of "Darlin" from the 50 Big Ones Greatest Hits set, and was blown away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeXHu5-Y_cY

Does anybody have more info on this thing?  Are there other new stereo remixes?  Or anything else new, period?

Uh... try reading the liner notes ?

Those in the US are looking forward to doing so......Oct 9
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »

Hmmm.

Is PLMW from the 2012 mix of Today!? It sounds a lot worse than the one released a few years ago.

Or I'm going insane, and it's the same one.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 07:46:10 PM »

Hmmm.

Is PLMW from the 2012 mix of Today!? It sounds a lot worse than the one released a few years ago.

I don't know, but I've always thought the stereo mix of PLMW sounded kinda out of sync, definitely too mid-rangy and the organ bass is almost inaudible. For some reason those mono mixes from 64-67 sound so fuckin full I think all the stereo mixes (except Pet Sounds) are way lacking.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 10:49:56 PM »

Hmmm.

I don't know, but I've always thought the stereo mix of PLMW sounded kinda out of sync, definitely too mid-rangy and the organ bass is almost inaudible. For some reason those mono mixes from 64-67 sound so f***in full I think all the stereo mixes (except Pet Sounds) are way lacking.

They've re mixed the mono mix too - it sounds like a mono stereo mix (if that makes sense)

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 04:39:58 PM »

The new mixes for WH and Darlin' are slightly disappointing for me in terms of stereo release. I just feel they are hardly stereo at all when I hear them next to the new stereo Smiley material. They sound more conservative, as if longing to be refreshed mono mixes rather than fullblown stereo like on Smiley. The sound is MUCH cleaner and buried instruments (most notably the trumpet on the second verse in Darlin') and harmonies pop out better which is ofc great in any respect, but there is little stereo seperation which makes me wonder why they mixed them in such a conservative fashion?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »

I think Darlin' sounds terrific. Geez, the opening vocals jump right out at you. It is the rare stereo mix that actually sounds punchier than its mono counterpart. The fact the horns can he heard in the second verse says the stereo really separates the instrumentation. With Wild Honey, I really enjoy hearing those clear, crisp background vocals. They are near buried in the mono mix. I am quite happy with the way both turned out. Cheers to Mark Linett!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:40:02 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »

I am shocked disgusted, that there is no single version of California, R'nR Music, It's OK and Here Comes The Night (1979) on 50BO.

"Californa" single mix is said to be in poor shape, R'nR music fair enough, It's OK isn't so much a remix as it is very slightly sped up (thus why bother?), and HCTN79, ehhhh.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 06:27:30 PM »

I don't understand why they were used on the Best of the Brother Years comp, then.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »

They've re mixed the mono mix too - it sounds like a mono stereo mix (if that makes sense)

I think it's just remastered, not remixed. It'd be noted in the insert if it were.

I don't understand why they were used on the Best of the Brother Years comp, then.

"California" sounds like dicks on there, though, and it's not due to being a poor mix. "It's OK" is okay as a completist, but just sounds odd in comparison to the original. Feels unnecessary - the songs really should just be presented in their best form.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:14:09 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 07:57:24 PM »

some of the stereo mixes/remasters are pretty narrow for stereo.  Like Linett was going for a stereo mix circa 1965.  PLMW on Summer Love Songs was a lot wider I thought. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 08:15:11 PM »

I think it's just remastered, not remixed. It'd be noted in the insert if it were.

"California" sounds like dicks on there, though, and it's not due to being a poor mix. "It's OK" is okay as a completist, but just sounds odd in comparison to the original. Feels unnecessary - the songs really should just be presented in their best form.

I never noticed an issue with 'California' or 'Rock and Roll Music' on that comp, but I hate the single mix of 'It's Ok'. The speed change just sounds off to me

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 08:22:31 PM »

some of the stereo mixes/remasters are pretty narrow for stereo.  Like Linett was going for a stereo mix circa 1965.  PLMW on Summer Love Songs was a lot wider I thought. 

That's the thing - 60s stereo mixes were wide! To have them be narrow may make 'em sound more like the mono mix, but a traditional hard left/right/vocal center thing is really a more accurate (and 'honest', to my ears) route.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 11:54:40 PM »

I never noticed an issue with 'California' or 'Rock and Roll Music' on that comp, but I hate the single mix of 'It's Ok'. The speed change just sounds off to me

my 45's of the above (UK copies) doesn't feature the single mix of California, but does for R&RMusic. It's O.K. is unsure to me, it has alot more punch in the Bass kicks, but it sounds the same speed to me - or is my turntable too slow (45 can be questionable sometimes).

Which makes me ask the other question, does the "California Saga (California): Sail On, Sailor/Marcella: I'm The Pied  Piper" EP thing have the single mix or not?

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 07:04:20 AM »

"Californa" single mix is said to be in poor shape, R'nR music fair enough, It's OK isn't so much a remix as it is very slightly sped up (thus why bother?), and HCTN79, ehhhh.

I was joking about the last one  Grin tbh none of this made very much difference other than California and RnR!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »

Personally I don't agree that Linnett should be doing ultra-wide 'sixties style' mixes.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 09:09:54 AM »

I always wondered, in cases when the master is f*cked, such as the master for the single mix of "California" (IIRC the title track for The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album is beyond playable too and every remaster from the 80's C.D onwards are sourced from a dub), why they don't just go back to the multis and  make an identical mix.
SloopJohnB52
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »

For recordings made in the sixties, I feel it's only appropriate that they should be mixed the same way as was done at the time:  W-I-D-E STEREO!  The new stereo mixes on the album reissues and compilations are so narrow, they shouldn't have even bothered.  If SMiLE ever comes out in stereo, I'm afraid it will be narrow as well.  (I'm currently working on a super-wide "Wonderful" mix that hopefully will be faithful to that style).

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2012, 09:45:57 AM »

I always wondered, in cases when the master is f*cked, such as the master for the single mix of "California" (IIRC the title track for The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album is beyond playable too and every remaster from the 80's C.D onwards are sourced from a dub), why they don't just go back to the multis and  make an identical mix.
All those tunes on the Brother Years are digital. Adding them to 50 Big Ones would have been no problem. Except for futzing, they would sound the same as on the 2000 CD. To me there is no excuse not to include them, except that they didn't want to use those single versions.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »

For recordings made in the sixties, I feel it's only appropriate that they should be mixed the same way as was done at the time:  W-I-D-E STEREO!  The new stereo mixes on the album reissues and compilations are so narrow, they shouldn't have even bothered.  If SMiLE ever comes out in stereo, I'm afraid it will be narrow as well.  (I'm currently working on a super-wide "Wonderful" mix that hopefully will be faithful to that style).

Yeah see, I don't agree with that or follow the logic. Why? so we can fantasize we're actually listening in 1965 to a contemporary stereo mix that in reality never existed?
I'm not looking to start a fight, I just don't see the problem, personally. I like most of Linnett's mixes, though I haven't heard the latest ones yet. A few of the Today mixes I've heard were not that great but otherwise, I like them. I think the point of the (new) stereo mixes is to hear the music in a way we haven't heard before, to get more details and such; so that's why I am not bothered if they are 'wide' or 'narrow'. But, to each their own, I'm not an audiophile to nearly the extent that some of y'all are, so...

If they were going for authenticity they'd probably have the backing track in mono and the double tracked vocals on either side of the stereo, Chuck Britz style. Chuck Britz's mixes sound like crap to me.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:30:49 AM by lance » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2012, 11:54:49 AM »

Was this already posted? "Remixing GV to stereo"-report

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyk9GKFasjY

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx