gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:54:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is anybody going to one of the Mike&Bruce gigs?  (Read 18903 times)
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2012, 12:59:06 AM »

So I was thinking about seeing Mike and Bruce on New Years Eve. I didn't have money to buy tickets right away, but figured they wouldn't go too fast. I checked the other day and the tickets hadn't even been on sale for a week and both shows booked that night are close to sold out (literally 10 or less front spots, couple regions of nosebleed).

I can't help but think that a lot of those people thought it was a show for the real Beach Boys.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2012, 02:32:57 AM »

Clip doesn't mention the anniversary once, doesn't show the C50 logo and uses a photo of the current band. You'd have to be some dumb to assume it's anything but Mike & Bruce.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2012, 04:19:08 AM »

Clip doesn't mention the anniversary once, doesn't show the C50 logo and uses a photo of the current band. You'd have to be some dumb to assume it's anything but Mike & Bruce.

Not only that but the story about Brian and Al getting fired went right around the world (a Japanese friend of mine received an email to their phone). You would have to be living on Mars to think this was anything other than an M&B show.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2012, 10:15:40 AM »

People  like something to do on New Year's Eve.  Besides which, Mike Love is an entertainer.  He does have fans.  Not everyone is an emo shoegazer that only likes Brian. 
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »

Alright, alright. Maybe I underestimated Mike's ability to sell out a show within a week lol. I got schooled.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2012, 12:35:24 PM »

Humans may know, but stubhub robots probably just see "The Beach Boys" and snatch up as much tickets as they can.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2012, 02:06:47 PM »

Videos of the show in Austin:

Little Honda:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEZKronstiY

Forever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl89jQA1Da8

Surfin' safari:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ZmWuWQy8Y

Waco:

Kokomo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uiw00RdsIc

Catch a wave:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSXJBRo_ggU

Surfer girl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdrwnhRpyNc&feature=channel&list=UL

I get around:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juajHNwSISk&feature=BFa&list=ULKdrwnhRpyNc

Be true to your school:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL_CUZRp03k&feature=BFa&list=ULjuajHNwSISk
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:15:47 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2012, 02:22:36 PM »

Seems weird seeing him on stage without the rest of The Beach Boys now. Just saying.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »

I'm looking forward to the "Beach Boys At Nutty Jerry's" blu-ray!

Is pre-order available yet?  Evil
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2012, 02:39:08 PM »

Just look at the stage for the Mike and Bruce show, a few box's and the instrument's

The stage for the C50 tour must have killed Mike  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »

Mike needs to rest his voice.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SeanMaster150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2012, 04:37:19 PM »

I'd like to see the setlist from that gig.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2012, 04:49:59 PM »

As there are 'only' two keyboards onstage with the current M/B show, does that mean Bruce plays actual, audible keyboard at any point during the set?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »

Great videos Rocker! Stamos is awful in these shows, he needs move on from pretending to be in the BBs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
mcgrupp
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2012, 11:12:39 PM »

Well this is my first post so.. hello! I found this board during the excitement of the 50th tour and lurked for a bit before admin approved me.

I'm going to see them on Saturday in Biloxi.  After having just got back from the UK shows I am expecting to be underwhelmed (understatement of the yr) however, I think I will still be able "to have a good time" b/c of how much I enjoy the songs.  Mike's drummer is amazing and I like Scott enough too.

Mostly I want to see this configuration once so I at least have a reference point.  That and the fact it's pretty much right down the street made up my mind to shell out 50 bucks for it.  For the record, I plan on wearing a 50th anniversary shirt and asking everyone where the heck brian, al and marks are.  I also really want to see them try TWGMTR.. I'm learning it on piano and it does have a pretty complicated arrangement. I'll write down the setlist and take some videos.  cheers!
Nicko1234
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2012, 11:55:17 PM »

The band still sound good in those clips though obviously I would prefer Brian, Al and David to be there too.

Be True to your School is guff though...thankfully they almost never play it in the U.K.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2012, 01:32:40 AM »

As there are 'only' two keyboards onstage with the current M/B show, does that mean Bruce plays actual, audible keyboard at any point during the set?

Tim Bonhomme has two keyboards and often plays both to make up for the lack of Bruce's playing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2012, 02:04:43 AM »

Occasionally. He triggers the flute sample at the start of Sloop John B, I *think* he takes the piano solo on Help Me Rhonda still (he used to about ten years ago), a few other bits.  I think he's in the mix for much of the show on Mike & Bruce's shows, actually. But it's not a major part of the instrumental sound -- when they've done corporates and stuff in the past, and there hasn't been much space on stage, Bruce has pretended to play an unplugged electric guitar rather than actually playing his keyboard, so they can definitely work around the absence.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2012, 03:03:39 AM »

Occasionally. He triggers the flute sample at the start of Sloop John B, I *think* he takes the piano solo on Help Me Rhonda still (he used to about ten years ago), a few other bits.  I think he's in the mix for much of the show on Mike & Bruce's shows, actually. But it's not a major part of the instrumental sound -- when they've done corporates and stuff in the past, and there hasn't been much space on stage, Bruce has pretended to play an unplugged electric guitar rather than actually playing his keyboard, so they can definitely work around the absence.

So you can hear him more vocally? That's cool...his voice sounds excellent still. I guess the 'many keyboards, some inaudible' thing has been part of the Beach Boys since what...71/72?

I think I'd pay to see Bruce solo with a piano doing all his soppy early seventies ballads then getting joined by a disco covers band for 'Deirdre(78)' etc
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2012, 04:09:21 AM »

I'm going to see them on Saturday in Biloxi. 

Welcome to the board!
It would be cool if you could give us some informations and maybe a setlist afterwards.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2012, 12:06:45 PM »

"Kokomo" in Austin, TX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gor_QhU9IO0

- Jack Rieley
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »

I'm just glad I was there to see the last Beach Boys show to date on September 28th! Wink
relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »

More like Live in Alaska--how cold was it in Austin?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx